2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

People say we aging an old...but if you look at DB's for example....Darby is just 30...Rose and BA are 29....Nichols and Lawrence 28 and rest are 26 and under....lot of tread left right across the board...Not concerned at all, as for the 2020 era football player they are smack dab right in their prime years, or just entering them

Same with receiver...3 guys as it stands at 29...rest are in mid 20's....not an issue at all

as for oline...most dont hit their prime/best until 30....and we all know Bryant is still tops....as has the 2 other "old guys" Neuf and Hardrick at 34 and 32....save for Kolo rest are mid 20 somethings....perfect for an oline

Well said. We’re the best team on paper because unlike most great teams we didn’t lose anyone of consequence to FA, and we added the best receiver in the game to an already great receiving core. With all the injuries we had in our linebacking and secondary last season and the emergence of new starters we’re in a great position. Not to mention like you said our scouting staff is always bringing in new talent to fill our roster. 

and dont under estimate the huge advantage right out of the gate hitting the field running...basically a continuation of where we left off, and the ability to implement new things into our playbook, as opposed to having to have a turn over of players learn things...or have a new staff implementing a new system...thats huge to get the jump in the standings right away

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

and dont under estimate the huge advantage right out of the gate hitting the field running...basically a continuation of where we left off, and the ability to implement new things into our playbook, as opposed to having to have a turn over of players learn things...or have a new staff implementing a new system...thats huge to get the jump in the standings right away

I think as long as we keep healthy at the end of the season I don't see how we aren't the favourites again. Last year we lost the GC because our offense was garbage when it counted. Zach was hurt. Bad turnovers. Bad play-calling. Worst game played all year. And we only lost by a point. Now we have Lawler back which to me is like a trump card even when things aren't going well.

21 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

The 15-3 Bombers who added the best receiver in the game aren’t the best team on paper? I mean fair enough @Mikeplease educate us on who you think the best team on “paper” is it the Toronto Argonauts who don’t have a starting QB currently? 

I really like Toronto’s roster construction a lot. If MBT is back, I feel like they have a shot to do big things again and I feel like we could see a Grey Cup rematch, although that could depend on Bo and his arm in Hamilton.

Our offense is clearly head and shoulders above Toronto’s (and anyone else’s) but their D was better than ours (imo) last year and you can definitely argue they’ll be even better this year … going from McManis/Henoc/Edwards to McManis/Williams/Pickett is huge, they’ve got a lot of good solid bodies in the secondary … especially if Carnell is as legit as he looked in limited action last year … and a similar ability as our front office to find new ones, plus I really do think between both DL, the most impactful player is Shawn Oakman and we don’t, as of right now, have anyone comparable. Willie and Jeffcoat are still impact players but in my opinion, they need someone around them to take the pressure off, they were often one step late last year and if it’s not age, then it’s likely a lack of support and rotation. I’m not saying we don’t have a very good defence, but on a straight up talent level taking anything and everything else out of the equation, I genuinely would trade our best DL and LB (let’s call it Willie and Kyrie) for theirs (Oakman and McManis) and not really think twice about it. Depth is a different discussion, but I also don’t love how we trot out Gauthier, Briggs, Maruo and Jake Thomas so frequently. Our D depth has taken a big hit over the last year or so everywhere but in the secondary, there’s no Kongbo or Rutledge as of today to fill those rotational reps that we may need to depend on this year.

4 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I think as long as we keep healthy at the end of the season I don't see how we aren't the favourites again. Last year we lost the GC because our offense was garbage when it counted. Zach was hurt. Bad turnovers. Bad play-calling. Worst game played all year. And we only lost by a point. Now we have Lawler back which to me is like a trump card even when things aren't going well.

That's a good point ....would've Kenny made a dif. in the Cup????We shall never know for sure but I believe he would have.....It all starts with the qb. though and we all know that Zac wasn't 100 percent

Edited by Stickem

30 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

And Bighill and Jefferson. Probably a few guys you could add to this list. 

I think this is one of the things Mike is talking about.

Bighill is the highest paid American LB in the league and is not what he once was. 

Jefferson isn't the highest paid anymore, but he sure was when we first signed him and is still right up there in terms of salaries.

Why this false narrative around certain guys signing here for "way less"? It's not always the case - this is still their job and they have to maximize their salary potential no matter where they play. 

8 minutes ago, Stickem said:

That's a good point ....would've Kenny made a dif. in the Cup????We shall never know for sure but I believe he would have.....It all starts with the qb. though and we all know that Zac wasn't 100 percent

Well I for one am still mad at Ellingson for gassing that easy first down pass early in the game. Set the tone for the entire thing.

37 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Lawler as well.

Demski

I would imagine Collaros probably could have gotten more $$$

Willie J too.

I'm not sure Collaros could have gotten more. Remember he is the highest paid player. I suppose he could have gotten more, bit he'd be playing with 4 Oline and me as his rb. Lol.

To add to the age discussion. Being a pro at 30yrs old doesn't appear to be the issue it used to be. Players in basically every sport are seeing longer careers (assuming skill is there) than they did 10-20 years ago.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Bighill is the highest paid American LB in the league and is not what he once was. 

Genuinely one of the worst contracts in the CFL, in my opinion.

Statistically one of the worst middle linebackers in the CFL and he’s the highest paid American LB? If we’re in the Grey Cup this year, he’ll be 35 at kickoff, has developed a recent trend of being too hurt by the end of the season to be effective when it matters and is visibly slower every single year, but we treat him around here like he’s 28 year old MOP candidate Bighill because FIFO, “he’s covering for other people” and because he’s a SAV4GE. I know Bighill has intangibles and leadership that bring value to the room, but the blind love for his play over the past few years has me really puzzled. He’s not good.

I also think last season the defense was not what it could have been because of the sheer amount of injuries... secondary was beat the **** up, we lost maston before the season started, we lost Wilson and then his backup... Jeffcoat barely played... that's a lot and this team was still able to overcome it and win 15 games. Not worried about them at all. Scouts do their jobs and someone will show up on the DL to help (not to mention Hansen as well right?)

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Genuinely one of the worst contracts in the CFL, in my opinion.

Statistically one of the worst middle linebackers in the CFL and he’s the highest paid American LB? If we’re in the Grey Cup this year, he’ll be 35 at kickoff, has developed a recent trend of being too hurt by the end of the season to be effective when it matters and is visibly slower every single year, but we treat him around here like he’s 28 year old MOP candidate Bighill because FIFO, “he’s covering for other people” and because he’s a SAV4GE. I know Bighill has intangibles and leadership that bring value to the room, but the blind love for his play over the past few years has me really puzzled. He’s not good.

You are too critical of him. Yeah he ain't what he once was, but he is still pretty good. We had a shitn load of problems on D last year.

def not what he was....but I know for a fact he was severely hampered in 2022....and all the while was asked to play a diff role than the usual LB position people were used to seeing...was also banged up in 2021 as well...but played through it....and both were kind of freak goofy ailment s as opposed to a body break down due to age....and having all the rookies last yr, Wilson and his replacement going down and Willie basically all on his own on the Dline didnt help the grand scheme of things...yet were still prob the best defense in the league

Biggie tho I think will be his last yr here as the main guy, and if he is back will be at a reduced role and salary for 2024...

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

You are too critical of him. Yeah he ain't what he once was, but he is still pretty good. We had a shitn load of problems on D last year.

“he’s pretty good” isn’t exactly what I’m going for when we’re talking about the highest paid player in his position, but I wouldn’t even agree with that assessment, personally.

He was a step behind a ton of plays and as it was happening, everyone chalked it up to “well he’s just covering for other people so they’re using him differently” and to me, he just looked slow and a step behind. He was probably the most constant offender on our entire D when it came to whiffed arm tackles. He averaged 4 tackles a game and didn’t really contribute a whole lot else, which is not what I’m looking for from a top level MLB. Yes, I get he can drop back in coverage and give different looks, but so can a guy who can fly around a bit more and have a little more impact on the field. Part of me wonders if O’Shea sees a reflection of himself in Bighill, the decline in overall play has been very similar to what O’Shea saw when his time was coming to an end. 

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I hope Biggie has one helluva year to prove Mike wrong......Those words can come back to haunt

If you’re looking to set me up for an I told you so, you’ll be looking for a long time. I hope Bighill has an absolutely massive season for us. Why would I want anything less?

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

“he’s pretty good” isn’t exactly what I’m going for when we’re talking about the highest paid player in his position, but I wouldn’t even agree with that assessment, personally.

He was a step behind a ton of plays and as it was happening, everyone chalked it up to “well he’s just covering for other people so they’re using him differently” and to me, he just looked slow and a step behind. He was probably the most constant offender on our entire D when it came to whiffed arm tackles. He averaged 4 tackles a game and didn’t really contribute a whole lot else, which is not what I’m looking for from a top level MLB. Yes, I get he can drop back in coverage and give different looks, but so can a guy who can fly around a bit more and have a little more impact on the field. Part of me wonders if O’Shea sees a reflection of himself in Bighill, the decline in overall play has been very similar to what O’Shea saw when his time was coming to an end. 

If you’re looking to set me up for an I told you so, you’ll be looking for a long time. I hope Bighill has an absolutely massive season for us. Why would I want anything less?

Set you up........lol lol.....c'mon   'told you so's don't fly'...We'll just let Biggie do the talkin' in 23'