Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Your last sentence sort of answers your own question of “why wouldn’t we?” Cost and wanting to be here. 

And speaking of small sample sizes, I’d rather not chuck a young guy based on less than 10 games of kicking last year. The last time we did that too quickly, we scrambled to get him back (Castillo). The time before that, he went on to be a star elsewhere and now we are pining for him again (Hajrullahu). Kickers miss kicks, doesn’t mean we run them out of town at the drop of a hat. Liegghio will learn, get better, and has made more game-winning pressure kicks (Calgary last year, Ottawa this year) than he has missed to cost us (Montreal this year). 

I could get behind what your saying except I wasn't suggesting we chuck him. 

I think at some point we will all just have to agree to disagree. I personally feel like if it were the Grey cup tomorrow I would feel anxious about Legs being the guy. 

29 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Your last sentence sort of answers your own question of “why wouldn’t we?” Cost and wanting to be here. 

And speaking of small sample sizes, I’d rather not chuck a young guy based on less than 10 games of kicking last year. The last time we did that too quickly, we scrambled to get him back (Castillo). The time before that, he went on to be a star elsewhere and now we are pining for him again (Hajrullahu). Kickers miss kicks, doesn’t mean we run them out of town at the drop of a hat. Liegghio will learn, get better, and has made more game-winning pressure kicks (Calgary last year, Ottawa this year) than he has missed to cost us (Montreal this year). 

So you wanted them to roster Hajrullahu, Castillo and Medlock?

Medlock is the reason why those other two guys were gonzo.

13 hours ago, Mark F said:

the decision to cancel the avro arrow.... actually Lapo fault. too complicated to explain right now.  although nobody would understand, if I laid it out. hundreds of times. or more.

Lapo 4-19 in Ottawa since 2021. 0-3 with Massoli. What's this about being some kind of great coach?? Even with Massoli healthy all season, he'd probably be 2-7 or 3-6. LaPo's a disaster. 

I just hope we don't see another 'shank' by Leggs anytime soon.....Those points are getting harder and harder to come by down the stretch and I hope we've seen the last of the 'yips'....Is that expecting a lot....I don't thinks so....Leggs is a professional and I think he wouldn't want anything less for himself...(anyone not familiar with the term 'yips'.....just ask any golfer)

11 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

So you wanted them to roster Hajrullahu, Castillo and Medlock?

Medlock is the reason why those other two guys were gonzo.

They kept Castillo on the pr for a good long time in mediocre first year too. They knew he was good but what can you do when you’re behind the goat? Eventually he was gonna leave to get a chance to play and did. I like the guy even though he went for the money this off season I don’t blame him. 

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

At some point you have to show faith in your guy and let him work through struggles. Not always be champing at the bit to bring in someone new. 

Agreed. I kinds knee-jerk jumped at the prospect of Lirim returning but at some point you gotta dance with the gal you brought to the party. Lets give our soph kicker a chance to redeem himself. Everybody screws up once in a while.

Im ok with letting Liegghio right the ship but if he starts shanking gimme field goals again down the stretch something needs to be done. Castillo was 5/5 in the Grey Cup last season. Anyone here think that were back-to-back champs right now if Liegghio was our kicker in the Grey Cup? I dont.

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

Im ok with letting Liegghio right the ship but if he starts shanking gimme field goals again down the stretch something needs to be done. Castillo was 5/5 in the Grey Cup last season. Anyone here think that were back-to-back champs right now if Liegghio was our kicker in the Grey Cup? I dont.

We’ll learn a lot from what Liegghio is made of. See how he responds after missing a game winner. Any professional kicker can make a kick when there’s no pressure but I’m hoping he comes back mentally stronger, and when the opportunity arises again he will do his job. 

44 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He was 90% going into those last two kicks. He'll be fine. Rene Paredes is how many years into his career? He had a bad case of yips last year, worked through them and has been very good this year. It happens to all kickers, at any point in their career.... 

The thing is, I don’t think anyone is arguing with you in this point.

but right now, in 2022, he has limitations that could cost us a chance at three-peating. I don’t see any reason to make a move that helps us in the present while also continuing to develop Legs for the future.

35 minutes ago, Jesse said:

The thing is, I don’t think anyone is arguing with you in this point.

but right now, in 2022, he has limitations that could cost us a chance at three-peating. I don’t see any reason to make a move that helps us in the present while also continuing to develop Legs for the future.

That's where I disagree with you and others. 

Just now, Noeller said:

I see two clear limits:

1. He is not being trotted out for long FGs. We punt instead. If the coaching staff had faith (ie. Medlock) he would make some attempts here and there.

2. He gets in his own head. When he misses one, he misses multiple (ie. The BC and Montreal games this year).

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't know how you could argue he doesn't have limitations.  He's 50% between 30 and 40 yards, hasn't attempted anything longer than 47.  Half of his made kicks are under 30 yards.  The 90% figure is nice (82% now) but you can't evoke PAREDES who is 10-12 from 40 plus this season and 5-6 over 50 within that.  Liegghio's range is a severe limitation.  I don't mind him as a punter but he's incredibly slow at getting the ball to his foot which is always risky.

I think if Liegghio wants to last as long as Paredes he probably has to pick one specialty and to my mind that would be punting.

But he's really the only option we have right now because the personnel department didn't bring in competition.  So it's a limitation they'll have to deal with.  Like in the Als game...score a bloody TD and Liegghio doesn't matter.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

53 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I see two clear limits:

1. He is not being trotted out for long FGs. We punt instead. If the coaching staff had faith (ie. Medlock) he would make some attempts here and there.

2. He gets in his own head. When he misses one, he misses multiple (ie. The BC and Montreal games this year).

Lirim Hajrullahu was cut by the Cowboys. Have to wonder if he's run out of NFL chances now. Maybe he considers returning to the CFL. I'd feel a lot better about a three-peat with him as our kicker.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't know how you could argue he doesn't have limitations.  He's 50% between 30 and 40 yards, hasn't attempted anything longer than 47.  Half of his made kicks are under 30 yards.  The 90% figure is nice (82% now) but you can't evoke PAREDES who is 10-12 from 40 plus this season and 5-6 over 50 within that.  Liegghio's range is a severe limitation.  I don't mind him as a punter but he's incredibly slow at getting the ball to his foot which is always risky.

I think if Liegghio wants to last as long as Paredes he probably has to pick one specialty and to my mind that would be punting.

But he's really the only option we have right now because the personnel department didn't bring in competition.  So it's a limitation they'll have to deal with.  Like in the Als game...score a bloody TD and Liegghio doesn't matter.

Parades longest this year is 53 yards, also his career longest. It took 12 years in the league to hit that distance. How many years did Calgary limit the length of his attempts? He has he not missed as many game losing kicks as Leggs this year? Too much focus/pressure is being placed on one games kicking misadventures.

Leggs was doing fine in all facets....kickers miss, and as long as its not a trend I am ok with it....u HAVE to trot him back out there and forge on...to work through it...which I a sure is nothing to work through anyway...**** happens....u yank him...or or test out some one else you will ruin him for the yr...We have a team built on offense and especially on defense where we dont have to rely on hitting 45 yard or more field goals all the time in order to have a chance to win

Edited by Booch

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

Leggs was doing fine in all facets....kickers miss, and as long as its not a trend I am ok with it....u HAVE to trot him back out there and fore on...to work through it...which I a sure is nothing to work through anyway...**** happens....u yank him...or or test out some one else you will ruin him for the yr...We have a team built on offense and especially on defense where we dont have to rely on hitting 45 yard or more field goals all the time in order to have a chance to win

💯💯💯

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't disagree with anything you are saying but would like to point out that up until this year Paredes's longest FG was 48 yards.

One of my concerns about Liegghio entering the year was his leg strength. I have been pleasantly surprised by that this year. His accuracy is much improved, and he just needs to nail down the mental aspect of the game. Something a lot of young kickers struggle initially with. 

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

Parades longest this year is 53 yards, also his career longest. It took 12 years in the league to hit that distance. How many years did Calgary limit the length of his attempts? He has he not missed as many game losing kicks as Leggs this year? Too much focus/pressure is being placed on one games kicking misadventures.

Yeah because the previous career long of 52 he set as a rookie was nothing.

It's not one game of misadventures.  He lost the job last year because he wasn't reliable on converts and he's missed 4 of those this year with overall consistent struggles in that 30-40 range, and has no range to 50.

He's the best we have right now, and for me he's well down the list of reasons why the last game was lost, but to suggest that position couldn't be upgraded is to distort reality.

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I don't disagree with anything you are saying but would like to point out that up until this year Paredes's longest FG was 48 yards.

One of my concerns about Liegghio entering the year was his leg strength. I have been pleasantly surprised by that this year. His accuracy is much improved, and he just needs to nail down the mental aspect of the game. Something a lot of young kickers struggle initially with. 

Nope.  He career long was multiple 52 yarders back to his rookie year.  

29 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah because the previous career long of 52 he set as a rookie was nothing.

It's not one game of misadventures.  He lost the job last year because he wasn't reliable on converts and he's missed 4 of those this year with overall consistent struggles in that 30-40 range, and has no range to 50.

He's the best we have right now, and for me he's well down the list of reasons why the last game was lost, but to suggest that position couldn't be upgraded is to distort reality.

Nope.  He career long was multiple 52 yarders back to his rookie year.  

I stand corrected. Sorry about that. Only exception being that Paredes rookie year his longest FG was 50. It was year 3 he hit a 52 yarder. Splitting hairs though really. I certainly am not disagreeing that we could probably do better in the short term than Liegghio.