2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Honestly I don't think there is a wrong decision (in terms of player quality). Obviously people will be upset if Andrew leaves though.

AND quality being????There's more to a player than just talent ...other intangibles come into play and Andrew has a few of them

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

If it's between Brady and Andrew. I'm probably going with Brady. Obviously he didn't out shine 2 vets last year. But the kid has a very good skill set, speed, power etc. 

In terms of optics etc, I'm not sure it matters as much as some on here think. It's just how the game is now. If Tom Brady can be moved on from, so can Andrew Harris. As fans we obviously don't get to see the entire picture right away. What if the Bombers can't match what Harris is wanting? But can get Brady....? Is that still bad optics?

And when it comes to the culture....well this is Osheas Culture, not Andrews. Now Harris certainly played a role in it. Much Bryant, Bighill, Nichols, Medlock etc. But the only way the culture leaves is if Oshea does. There isn't a single player in that locker room that can change it.

I too would probably go with Brady but offer Harris a coaching job immediately if he wants to be around the team and the culture. I know it’s a hard decision to make but being 35 years old with over 10 years of heavy usage is tough on the body. No doubt in my mind he could probably still play but no shame in taking care of his body long term and I’m hoping we could keep him around with the boys as a coach. However I would be just as thrilled to give him another year. It’s a tough position to be in but I’m sure Walters knows what he’s doing. 

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I too would probably go with Brady but offer Harris a coaching job immediately if he wants to be around the team and the culture. I know it’s a hard decision to make but being 35 years old with over 10 years of heavy usage is tough on the body. No doubt in my mind he could probably still play but no shame in taking care of his body long term and I’m hoping we could keep him around with the boys as a coach. However I would be just as thrilled to give him another year. It’s a tough position to be in but I’m sure Walters knows what he’s doing. 

I'm positive that's what we want to do, but it seems as if Andrew still wants to play and is willing to go elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

AND quality being????There's more to a player than just talent ...other intangibles come into play and Andrew has a few of them

Overall raw talent. Brady hasn't perfected his style like Harris. But his skillset is there. If he can tap into it every week, there would be little to no drop off from Harris (As we've seen from Bradys 100+ game) And yes there are other intangibles. Brady certainly has some himself. 

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Harris isn't a power back? 

Nonsense.

If Brady Oliveira thinks the grass is greener best of luck to him, no ill will.

Andrew Harris is a Bomber legend with exponentially more equity than Brady Oliveira.

If Brady Oliveira goes on to be the greatest RB of all time sonewhere else then it is what it is. 

Harris is an all around back. The best balanced back the cfl has ever seen. That's better than just being a scat back or power back. He runs tough and hard no matter if he's bouncing it off tackle cutting back spinning away or stiff arming guys into the dirt. 

Brady is a power back. Augustine achieved one of the hardest athletic feats becoming faster and quicker. Unless Brady pulls a miracle like that he's always going to be a power back. He's got about 25lbs on Harris too. He posses more power than Harris but doesn't have the polish Harris does in breaking tackles. The stiff arm the ability to work out of a tackle angle etc. 

Harris is like milt he's got such a diverse high Level skill set and we are kind of used to that. 

12 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

People didn't want Eaton's torn down for a new arena either.

I love what AH has brought to this team and our two GC, but emotions have to be removed from the situation. 

Bad optics are a fleeting thing, especially when we are kicking Rider ass around the block this season.

The issue with your statement is Harris can still perform at a high level 

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I actually don't LOVE Oliveira. Harris was clearly still ahead of him and I wish Johnny saw the ball more.

I'm just taking what Walter said about the salary cap at face value. We have 3 young NIs who could fill the void.

Speedflex ( and others) are right when they talk about bad optics and perhaps reflecting on team culture as well. Right now, I think we a have the reputation of doing right by players...do we lose that a little if we let a guy like Harris walk?

I feel like I'm entirely alone on this, but I was never a fan of Fred Reid. Too all or nothing.

Loved me some Chad Simpson though.

I was a huge fan of Chad Simpson too,ran very hard,hit the holes hard and seemed like a good back out catching passes,I hear ya

5 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don't see it, considering the level of competition he played against I don't think Borsa is going to be the "next one".  His skill level may pan out similar to Wolitarsky and he may find his place on ST but I don't think he's going to be of the same caliber as the 4 Natl. RB the Bombers employed last season.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Maybe I am biased as I am from Sask, have watched Borsa play a ton and know him decently well. I think he has the potential to be a very good back. If he wasnt suspended for the year before his draft year he would have gone much higher. He is big, has break away spead and is effective out of the backfield in the passing game. I bet he is the third back and special teams guy before getting more and more offensive snaps. 

I'd take Brady O over Harris at this point in their careers. Harris was the highest paid RB in the league for good reason, but we don't need to pay his salary level with our O line to get similar performance numbers. Harris can make more on a team like Ottawa or BC who need starting grade NI talent badly than we should pay him. If that's his decision, then more power to him. 

Just thrilled to learn Bombers have locked up Johnny Augustine for TWO years! Surprised too because the club has been stacked with talented Canadian tailbacks and the prospect of re-signing Harris, Oliveira and Augustine seemed unlikely - I believe Kyle Walters has said that. I could see Harris sticking around as a player/coach - a guy who is invaluable but not on the active roster for 18 games. Contract structured accordingly. I can definitely see a scenario where Augustine is Winnipeg's starting RB and maybe Harris and/or Borsa behind him on the depth chart. Not sure where that leaves Oliveira. If another team offers Brady lots more $$ - doubt Bombers could afford to match. But who, other than Winnipeg, has Canucks at RB these days?

2 hours ago, CodyT said:

The issue with your statement is Harris can still perform at a high level 

I feel dirty arguing this with you because, more than anything, I want him to be the 2017 -2019 model. 
With his age, last season’s overall performance, and other uses for his $, I think we move on. But if we find a way to sign him, I won’t be sad. 

Hopefully Harris and the Bombers can agree on a team friendly deal where we bring home the three-peat while using a three-headed Canadian RB monster. One where Harris no longer needs to carry the ball 20+ times a game and stays healthy, while passing the torch so to speak. Best case scenario for both parties.

Harris also has a big edge in experience reading blocking and picking up blitzes. He is a darned good receiver, too. Regardless, the day must come when Harris' performance will degrade to where he cannot compete any more. I hope that he and the Bombers can ease him out gracefully and with his participation.

3 hours ago, camper_2 said:

I enjoyed the "run game" in the West Final on Dec 5th @ IG Field.... and the effort in the Grey Cup, especially in Overtime. 

I don't understand why you put run game in quotes. Didn't Harris have like 140 yards in the west final?