2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

4 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Not sure about BCs strategy. They really need Rourke to be good, or this spending spree will be meaningless.

It seems crazy to me that Burnham will be their 3rd highest paid receiver.

Ill bet my bottom dollar Harris lands in BC and plays the majority of the season. Not a chance they roll into the season with Rourke as their QB1.

B.C's spending and cap allocation is bizarre.they havnt really addressed any of their concerns, yet, and if anything are weaker with the  loss of Mike R and possibly giving almot 700k to receivers..

QB pool is getting thin now and if Rourke struggles or gets hurt behind that still weak O-line...then what?....and if they are targeting Richardson (and I sure he can be tied to all teams as I sure all have contacted his agent) thats gonna cost them and still isn't gonna save that defense alone.

I think Stove may take the money if we cant come "close".....That being said Walker and Rose showed ok in limited play..Sayles will only get better and he is just fine vs the run as yr went on, and the dude can get the pressure on a QB, and there are 1 yr stop gaps we could land..vets with skills still that we wouldnt niss a beat, and likely will command less than last yr...I looking at you Nevis and Johnson....Heck maybe we go after Laurent, he might wanna win a Cup lol....BA is shelved for half a yr likely so his $$ wont be on the books...Rotate him and Fatboi as the Canadian starter and still go import at safety...lots of options for us to not skip a beat, offence too with Lawler

Just now, Booch said:

B.C's spending and cap allocation is bizarre.they havnt really addressed any of their concerns, yet, and if anything are weaker with the  loss of Mike R and possibly giving almot 700k to receivers..

QB pool is getting thin now and if Rourke struggles or gets hurt behind that still weak O-line...then what?....and if they are targeting Richardson (and I sure he can be tied to all teams as I sure all have contacted his agent) thats gonna cost them and still isn't gonna save that defense alone.

I think Stove may take the money if we cant come "close".....That being said Walker and Rose showed ok in limited play..Sayles will only get better and he is just fine vs the run as yr went on, and the dude can get the pressure on a QB, and there are 1 yr stop gaps we could land..vets with skills still that we wouldnt niss a beat, and likely will command less than last yr...I looking at you Nevis and Johnson....Heck maybe we go after Laurent, he might wanna win a Cup lol....BA is shelved for half a yr likely so his $$ wont be on the books...Rotate him and Fatboi as the Canadian starter and still go import at safety...lots of options for us to not skip a beat, offence too with Lawler

It really is. If they sign lawler to the reported offer, that would have to be the most expensive WR core in modern cfl history. 

I'll be really disappointed if stove leaves. But if we get Drake nevis back and save money that's the next best thing. Both Sayles and richardson are poised for monster years next year. I really hope it comes in blue n gold. 

3 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Ill bet my bottom dollar Harris lands in BC and plays the majority of the season. Not a chance they roll into the season with Rourke as their QB1.

Take my money on that line too. Not just because of the lack of depth or questions about rourke. But the fan base too. They couldnt draw fans with Reilly, go tell the fans that Rourke is QB1 and try to sell season tickets. You'd have to pay to have them hauled to the dump. 

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

Can't see us not coming close on a contract with Stove....I think he'd rather stay a Bomber and have at least a shot at another Cup.....in B.C. ...forget it

kind of agree....and if it comes at the expense of a Harris and or Adams...thats the price u pay to stay on top

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

kind of agree....and if it comes at the expense of a Harris and or Adams...thats the price u pay to stay on top

Our cost so far in free agency has been the 2 starters (Desjarlais, Alford) and 1 rotational (Kongbo) to the NFL. I believe its not over yet, sadly we will lose another (3) three (Harris, Adams & Stove) to our league, and perhaps a couple players with lesser roles will not be resigned.  Just my take!!!

Also, believe Lawler, Darby, Oliveira, Grant & B.A. will be resigned within the next couple /three days.

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

They’re not going to be able to afford to do that. 

I would think they have maxxed out on offensive skill player salaries. For the life of me, I can't figure out what they see in Rourke but that's a seperate issue altogether. They need to spend dollars on D now....especially DL where they were cream puffs last year. 

1 minute ago, camper_2 said:

Our cost so far in free agency has been the 2 starters (Desjarlais, Alford) and 1 rotational (Kongbo) to the NFL. I believe its not over yet, sadly we will lose another (3) three (Harris, Adams & Stove) to our league, and perhaps a couple players with lesser roles will not be resigned.  Just my take!!!

Also, believe Lawler, Darby, Oliveira, Grant & B.A. will be resigned within the next couple /three days.

I honestly believe we will bring back Adams. He is pretty cheap.

2 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

I am not confident on Lawler. I am hopeful though. At any rate I am sure that KW has put away a couple hundred grand for a 1A receiver,

yeah looks like right now we lost 3 we didnt want to, and had no chance for now any way (NFL guys) but we may lose a few that we are moving on from....which good teams do, and maybe one due to him getting outpriced from our structure....possibly Lawler.

Stove is coming off rookie deal, so pretty sure Walters has a number and a plan to retain him unless some team gets really stupid with an offer...and that comes at expense of a vet who is longer in the tooth, and may be asked to take considerable cut (Harris/Adams/Taylor) and not like it...so look elsewhere...giving us the extra money

I dont see Josh Johnson or Antighua back...not huge salaries but well above league minimum and replaced with a rookie and that extra money saved allocated elsewhere...

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

Some one, I don't recall who but credit to them, said in another thread I think that this is how the stamps stayed a dynasty. 

They didnt get overly sentimental in their attachments and never let feelings get in the way of progress on the roster. They didn't over pay their vets. If they got a huge offer else where, the next guy up was just as good or better. It takes a LOT of trust in your organization to do that. We've seen so far that the bombers have done that at several positions. None the least of which being DT, DB and OL. 

I'll add to that idea, doing the opposite of what the stamps did is how the 2001 bomber team collapsed in the years following. We didn't find and replace vets, we got stuck in this "we are good enough, just keep it together" mode. 

As if Walters and the rest of the mafia didnt have a hard enough job just keeping a core of a team together. They also have to know when to stop chasing a great player like maybe lawler or stove, and develop the next one.  

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

Go back 2 - 3 pages and read?   

Bad optics on the team ,  team having to do the right thing,   Harris HAS to come back etc..... 

On 2022-02-02 at 9:40 PM, CodyT said:

Any chance Andrew could be even a slight bit butt hurt about not being valued by the club, and in some regards the fans the same as he was in years past?

I think it's a long shot but I wouldn't totally rule out him signing else where for one last pay day. I could see a team taking a chance on a one year worth 170-200 k. Good marketability and Canadian game breaker. Winnipeg would not entertain that anymore imo

He was top notch when he was playing. One year with injuries doesn't mean that's going to repeat.

? I don't see anybody saying offer him 200 k. Most people were hoping for a team friendly deal 

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Some one, I don't recall who but credit to them, said in another thread I think that this is how the stamps stayed a dynasty. 

They didnt get overly sentimental in their attachments and never let feelings get in the way of progress on the roster. They didn't over pay their vets. If they got a huge offer else where, the next guy up was just as good or better. It takes a LOT of trust in your organization to do that. We've seen so far that the bombers have done that at several positions. None the least of which being DT, DB and OL. 

I'll add to that idea, doing the opposite of what the stamps did is how the 2001 bomber team collapsed in the years following. We didn't find and replace vets, we got stuck in this "we are good enough, just keep it together" mode. 

As if Walters and the rest of the mafia didnt have a hard enough job just keeping a core of a team together. They also have to know when to stop chasing a great player like maybe lawler or stove, and develop the next one.  

I believe the roster is being built that way: Harris - Augustine, Oliveira & Borsa / Stove - Sayles, Walker, E. Rose / Adams - Mcknight, Agudosi, Meredith & recently signed rec who was in last years training camp and showed well before his injury.  

This years entry draft will yield an O-lineman and I believe they draft a defensive tackle as well in the early rounds.

1 hour ago, camper_2 said:

I believe the roster is being built that way: Harris - Augustine, Oliveira & Borsa / Stove - Sayles, Walker, E. Rose / Adams - Mcknight, Agudosi, Meredith & recently signed rec who was in last years training camp and showed well before his injury.  

This years entry draft will yield an O-lineman and I believe they draft a defensive tackle as well in the early rounds.

We have a big time stud ol prospect in the wings too, laim dobson. But its always a pretty safe bet to say we or any cfl team will look hard to add linemen in the draft. 

Yeah theyve built that way, the next step is the hard one though. But then we've watched as guys left in FA over the past few years and been doing it already. This season might just see some harder names go. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We have a big time stud ol prospect in the wings too, laim dobson. But its always a pretty safe bet to say we or any cfl team will look hard to add linemen in the draft. 

Yeah theyve built that way, the next step is the hard one though. But then we've watched as guys left in FA over the past few years and been doing it already. This season might just see some harder names go. 

Yes, right about Liam Dobson... Hope he is here for training camp, although the NFL desire could be there for him, this year... 

15 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Exactly.

Also someone saying Harris needs to FIFO makes me sick. Show the proper ******* respect. 

Absolutely, but showing them respect can't mean continuing to sign them to contracts no matter what. 

MOS has shown respect to him by staying in communication - but that may not extend to a contract offer. 

32 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Absolutely, but showing them respect can't mean continuing to sign them to contracts no matter what. 

MOS has shown respect to him by staying in communication - but that may not extend to a contract offer. 

FIFO has nothing to do with getting paid. It has nothing to do with believing you are worth an amount. Anyone who would say that has no idea what it means.

If anyone on this board thinks FIFO applies to Harris that is trash, and quite frankly, infuriating.

Harris never had to come here, he certainly never had to re-sign here, and he should not be thrown aside disrespectfully. 

That guy gave everything he had and did everything he could to win. 

Some people on this board are lacking the appropriate level of respect for an all time great Bomber and CFLer.

Every year a team spends money foolishly on FA. Most years it doesn’t work out the way they wanted to. Over spending on vets isn’t the way to go. Getting a veteran free agent to get a team over the top is great but drafting well by adding quality Canadian talent, and relying on your scouting team to bring in young hungry talented players down south is the way to win in this league. Calgary replaced guys for years that signed big ticket deals in the off season, for the last few seasons it’s been our turn but as long as we draft well and scout well down south no one will dethrone us quite yet. 

7 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Rumblings that Powell might be going back to Ottawa. If so that might mean no room for Harris there. So that leaves Sask as a possible spot if he doesn’t stick with the Bombers. And I can see him retiring before playing in green lol. 

It's all part of his ploy to cheat the 'Riders out of a $600,000 up front signing bonus.

2 hours ago, camper_2 said:

Meredith was released last season. I don't think they'll try to sign him. 

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I would think they have maxxed out on offensive skill player salaries. For the life of me, I can't figure out what they see in Rourke but that's a seperate issue altogether. They need to spend dollars on D now....especially DL where they were cream puffs last year. 

I honestly believe we will bring back Adams. He is pretty cheap.

I am not confident on Lawler. I am hopeful though. At any rate I am sure that KW has put away a couple hundred grand for a 1A receiver,

He has the arm, accuracy, size, speed and decision making to be a star in this league.  Plus he is calm under pressure.