2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

41 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

My take on no formal talks is no numbers have been put to paper and sent in either direction, from either camp. Maybe they are being patient and seeing what is left? Or maybe where there is smoke there really is fire and Harris goes to market. He could go to BC and play behind the vaunted BC oline, they will definitely need a check-down guy and Harris is the king of receiving out of the backfield.

I could also see Harris landing in Ottawa, LaPo  could use him.  

48 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Oliveria has had one full season he is going to get better. I think in todays CFL a power backs work better due to defenses being lighter faster than have been in the past.

Harris isn't a power back? 

Nonsense.

If Brady Oliveira thinks the grass is greener best of luck to him, no ill will.

Andrew Harris is a Bomber legend with exponentially more equity than Brady Oliveira.

If Brady Oliveira goes on to be the greatest RB of all time sonewhere else then it is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Nonsense.

Andrew Harris is a Bomber legend with exponentially more equity than Brady Oliveira.

If Brady Oliveira goes on to be the greatest RB of all time sonewhere else then it is what it is. 

Was comparing between Johnny and Brady. Thats what make A33 great he is always moving forward once he gets to the next level its not going to be one guy to bring him down.

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

Nonsense.

I might have missed something in the post you quoted, but he didn't make any comparison to Harris, who is obviously a power back+.

I don't think I'm as bullish as AH retiring a Bomber as you are. It would be different if he had always being a Bomber, but he's only spent half of his career here. If we need him to take a reduced contract =, but he still wants to be paid as a #1 and go elsewhere, I wish him the best.

I'm obviously speculating here, of course.

1 minute ago, Jpan85 said:

Was comparing between Johnny and Brady. Thats what make A33 great he is always moving forward once he gets to the next level its not going to be one guy to bring him down.

Ah ok.

My bad.

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

I don't see anyone suggesting Harris isn't a power back. In fact, Harris is a good example of a power back having success in this league.

I guess I misread.

My bad.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

I might have missed something in the post you quoted, but he didn't make any comparison to Harris, who is obviously a power back+.

I don't think I'm as bullish as AH retiring a Bomber as you are. It would be different if he had always being a Bomber, but he's only spent half of his career here. If we need him to take a reduced contract =, but he still wants to be paid as a #1 and go elsewhere, I wish him the best.

I'm obviously speculating here, of course.

Yeah I could not disagree more.

He has been the most important player here in decades. One of the best to ever play the game and a pure/true winner.

I take Harris over Milt 10/10 times.

52 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

We have the best and most expensive QB and OL in the league, something must give somewhere. We are so very fortunate we have as many quality veteran players here on discount as we do, especially on D. Winning must obviously pay because guys are leaving money on the bargaining table to stay by most reports

Conversely, we will see what Oliveira looks like when he is playing behind BC or Saskatchewan's line. 

Love the kid but good luck. 

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

Yeah I could not disagree more.

He has been the most important player here in decades. One of the best to ever play the game and a pure/true winner.

I take Harris over Milt 10/10 times.

Your Milt take might be fightin' words.

But I totally get that argument for Harris. I can just accept that he as a person and the team as an organization may be at two different point.

I absolutely still think he has "it". He was without question our most effective back last season. I just worry about his health and would hesitate tying too much of the salary cap his way. Especially since our planned RB budget probably nosedived this season trying to keep the band together. 

Harris is as much a part of the turn around of this organization as anyone, and we just can not let him walk away. I feel like he's a cornerstone of the whole "Bombers Culture" thing that everyone speaks so highly of, and if we lost that, the whole thing starts to wobble....it's concerning. 

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Harris is as much a part of the turn around of this organization as anyone, and we just can not let him walk away. I feel like he's a cornerstone of the whole "Bombers Culture" thing that everyone speaks so highly of, and if we lost that, the whole thing starts to wobble....it's concerning. 

100% agree.

We had a few "legends" on this team the past 20 years who saw a lot of dumb selfish **** happening around them and let it continue.

Harris doesn't strike me as that guy. He has represented this team as well as anyone in my lifetime.

A true icon. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He brought back the Pride back to the Bomber brand. 

9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Your Milt take might be fightin' words.

But I totally get that argument for Harris. I can just accept that he as a person and the team as an organization may be at two different point.

I absolutely still think he has "it". He was without question our most effective back last season. I just worry about his health and would hesitate tying too much of the salary cap his way. Especially since our planned RB budget probably nosedived this season trying to keep the band together. 

That is reasonable, but if the choice is Harris or Oliveira, I take Harris. 

Brady Oliveira has played less than a full season including the playoffs. He was not clearly better than Augustine when given the chance.

Again, I love Oliveira, I think he will be a very good player. Will he be Harris level good? Unclear.

If he was not from Winnipeg I am not sure people would be so tied to him.

I can't see the Bombers letting Harris go to free agency. Jesse is right as he is the face of this team & brought pride back to the Bombers along with Stanley Bryant. Letting him go to free agency would be the same if the Bombers of 55 years ago let Ken Ploen or Leo Lewis play elsewhere. The optics would be very bad.

24 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I loved the briefly lived 'Thunder and Lightning' Joe Smith/Fred Reid combo back in the day. These guys (Harris/Brady and Augustine) are even better

I gave no shits about Smith,Reid was a phenomenal back for us,likely the best since Roberts and lead up to Harris arrival.

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I can't see the Bombers letting Harris go to free agency. Jesse is right as he is the face of this team & brought pride back to the Bombers along with Stanley Bryant. Letting him go to free agency would be the same if the Bombers of 55 years ago let Ken Ploen or Leo Lewis play elsewhere. The optics would be very bad.

Crucial point, this. 

5 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

That is reasonable, but if the choice is Harris or Oliveira, I take Harris. 

Brady Oliveira has played less than a full season including the playoffs. He was not clearly better than Augustine when given the chance.

Again, I love Oliveira, I think he will be a very good player. Will he be Harris level good? Unclear.

If he was not from Winnipeg I am not sure people would be so tied to him.

I actually don't LOVE Oliveira. Harris was clearly still ahead of him and I wish Johnny saw the ball more.

I'm just taking what Walter said about the salary cap at face value. We have 3 young NIs who could fill the void.

Speedflex ( and others) are right when they talk about bad optics and perhaps reflecting on team culture as well. Right now, I think we a have the reputation of doing right by players...do we lose that a little if we let a guy like Harris walk?

2 minutes ago, Nolby said:

I gave no shits about Smith,Reid was a phenomenal back for us,likely the best since Roberts and lead up to Harris arrival.

I feel like I'm entirely alone on this, but I was never a fan of Fred Reid. Too all or nothing.

Loved me some Chad Simpson though.

12 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I actually don't LOVE Oliveira. Harris was clearly still ahead of him and I wish Johnny saw the ball more.

I'm just taking what Walter said about the salary cap at face value. We have 3 young NIs who could fill the void.

Speedflex ( and others) are right when they talk about bad optics and perhaps reflecting on team culture as well. Right now, I think we a have the reputation of doing right by players...do we lose that a little if we let a guy like Harris walk?

I feel like I'm entirely alone on this, but I was never a fan of Fred Reid. Too all or nothing.

Loved me some Chad Simpson though.

Well Fred Reid’s prime was short but he averaged nearly 1400 yards a season and 6 yards per carry in 09 and 10, on two not so good offences. He was outstanding in those two seasons in my opinion. 

No way Andrew walks.....we have to do everything we can to keep him in BluenGold....This is the city that put Milt's name on a street for cripesakes...we're better than that.....Some will say his career is done....sure didn't look like it in the playoff and Cup game....I don't know what's going on in his personal life.....none of my business or anyone elses ''I don't think he's done yet and I would hate to see him ripping up yardage against us....that is just so wrong ....IF Mike O and Harris are still talking, that's a good thing....I bet in the final analysis they put together something that will work...It just has to go that way

If it's between Brady and Andrew. I'm probably going with Brady. Obviously he didn't out shine 2 vets last year. But the kid has a very good skill set, speed, power etc. 

In terms of optics etc, I'm not sure it matters as much as some on here think. It's just how the game is now. If Tom Brady can be moved on from, so can Andrew Harris. As fans we obviously don't get to see the entire picture right away. What if the Bombers can't match what Harris is wanting? But can get Brady....? Is that still bad optics?

And when it comes to the culture....well this is Osheas Culture, not Andrews. Now Harris certainly played a role in it. Much Bryant, Bighill, Nichols, Medlock etc. But the only way the culture leaves is if Oshea does. There isn't a single player in that locker room that can change it.