2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

Harris is the best RB in Bomber history. He deserves another contract. That being said if the reports are true that he came in out of shape last year and not ready to play then he needs to consider that as well. I am sure the Bombers have asked him to take a cut, maybe not officially, but certainly unofficially. If Harris wants to be a Bomber I am sure he can be. The ball is in his court but by all accounts the big payday here is gone for him, and it sure sounds like this was at least partially his own doing. I wish him well if he wants to chase the pay day and I am sure Lapo has 20 touches a game reserved for him in Ottawa. We will be fine without him. FIFO.

Edited by GCn20

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

I feel like we're witnessing the beginning of the end of our memorable run. Was too good to be true.... Now things start to tumble. 

Remember all those dominant years Calgary had?  Remember how Wally was?  You don't build and maintain dynasties with nostalgia and warm fuzzy feelings.  You do the things that need to be done when they need to happen.  I'll hate to see Andrew in another uniform, but I'd hate worse to see someone like Oliviera light it up for the next five or six years with another team.  Personally, I'm glad to see that Walters has a bit of Wally in him.

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Where are the comments about how he can be signed for under 200k?     

That's irrelevant.  You are pulling numbers out of your ass. It is entirely possible to hold the position  that Harris is an important piece to bring back AND not want to spend top dollar on him. 

You're just trying to be an ass by putting words into people's mouth. 

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Where are the comments about how he can be signed for under 200k?     

They are nowhere because they are not relevant to Harris. Of course, he can be signed for under 200k...that's a given. I would think the Bombers and most teams in the league will want to get him for far less than that.

12 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Remember all those dominant years Calgary had?  Remember how Wally was?  You don't build and maintain dynasties with nostalgia and warm fuzzy feelings.  You do the things that need to be done when they need to happen.  I'll hate to see Andrew in another uniform, but I'd hate worse to see someone like Oliviera light it up for the next five or six years with another team.  Personally, I'm glad to see that Walters has a bit of Wally in him.

Wally got bit once or twice by releasing guys too. However, last year illustrated that we can win without Harris and when you are short on SMS room he is probably the most logical big savings we can make. I don't think the Bombers feel he has nothing left in the tank, they just know that he is a luxury item that we can't afford to keep. He'll go to Ottawa in all likelihood and squeeze out another decent season and instantly help them a great deal. They need him, and can pay him...he doesn't fit into either of those categories here.

I think we could fit them all in with Harris accepting somewhere in the 125...135k range....and a reduced role...to keep him fresh....now will he agree to that?

Be sad to see us let another Bomber great go so close to the 10k rushing milestone in Bomber colors (Charles Roberts)

Sure a good amount was with Leo's, but 10k for career none the less is big...especially with a local player, and likely prob never matched by a Canadian.....That in itself should be done in Wpg colors, and hopefully both sides can make that happen

Worst case and crappiest scenario is you can release him after TC if he came in uninspired and having lost a step...give him his bonus contingent on making the roster....put that fire in him

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think we could fit them all in with Harris accepting somewhere in the 125...135k range....and a reduced role...to keep him fresh....now will he agree to that?

Be sad to see us let another Bomber great go so close to the 10k rushing milestone in Bomber colors (Charles Roberts)

Sure a good amount was with Leo's, but 10k for career none the less is big...especially with a local player, and likely prob never matched by a Canadian.....That in itself should be done in Wpg colors, and hopefully both sides can make that happen

Worst case and crappiest scenario is you can release him after TC if he came in uninspired and having lost a step...give him his bonus contingent on making the roster....put that fire in him

I agree with Mike that it's a mismanagement of resources to sign all three when we're trying to reduce spending in certain areas.

We have JA. You need to make a decision on Andrew or Brady and have Borsa come in as well.

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

I hope we can find a way to persuade Andrew to stay for a reasonable contract. It would be nice if he closes out his career in blue and gold. That being said, he needs to take a big shave or the numbers just don't work for the team. Honestly, I think we have capable in-house ready to go replacements that can match his output so it will be Andrew needing to make the sacrifice if he is to remain a Bomber.

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I agree with Mike that it's a mismanagement of resources to sign all three when we're trying to reduce spending in certain areas.

We have JA. You need to make a decision on Andrew or Brady and have Borsa come in as well.

That is probably the cold hard reality of the situation. Harris will be a massive hit to the locker room if he leaves but I think there are still many strong characters left behind to carry on the Bomber way.

21 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I hope we can find a way to persuade Andrew to stay for a reasonable contract. It would be nice if he closes out his career in blue and gold. That being said, he needs to take a big shave or the numbers just don't work for the team. Honestly, I think we have capable in-house ready to go replacements that can match his output so it will be Andrew needing to make the sacrifice if he is to remain a Bomber.

That is probably the cold hard reality of the situation. Harris will be a massive hit to the locker room if he leaves but I think there are still many strong characters left behind to carry on the Bomber way.

lockeroom will be fine...that culture shift started before him, and has solid guys to carry it forward...he just augmented it

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

lockeroom will be fine...that culture shift started before him, and has solid guys to carry it forward...he just augmented it

For sure. Just saying it is a loss of one of the locker room leaders though. I am sure other guys will fill the void quickly.

28 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Fact of the matter is that we NEED to bring back Lawler or someone of similar ability and we don't NEED to bring back Harris. Our receiving corps has to be the priority right now on offensive spending.

My version of the crappiest scenario:

-he gets the benefit of the doubt and a solid deal

-comes to camp and takes a bunch of vet days and STILL gets the benefit of the doubt

-doesn't practice because 'he doesn't need to he's AH'

-season starts and the wheels fall off

Not to predict his demise here, I love me some AH... the guy is an absolute beast and other teams' fans can't stand him and I love that about him... but he can't last forever. We have Johnny and likely Brady, Borsa also draws in with some hype... looks like an opportunity to start transitioning away now, before we are forced to

But hey I thought picking up Shaq Cooper was a great move, what the hell do I really know?

Just now, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Rumblings that Powell might be going back to Ottawa. If so that might mean no room for Harris there. So that leaves Sask as a possible spot if he doesn’t stick with the Bombers. And I can see him retiring before playing in green lol. 

Okay, NEW crappiest scenario

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

That's irrelevant.  You are pulling numbers out of your ass. It is entirely possible to hold the position  that Harris is an important piece to bring back AND not want to spend top dollar on him. 

You're just trying to be an ass by putting words into people's mouth. 

Do you think Winnipeg would not sign him for a league minimum type contract?    Clearly the only reason the Blue would move on from him is the money + age / health factor.   

No need to nit pick with JCon just because the main point I had made possibly resonates with the both of you?      It's fun to **** on other teams for making silly decisions or to make fun of Rider fans for being off... but you can't pretend that this doesn't happen on these boards as well with our own fans.       

The only possible way I was wrong in my original post is if the Blue Bombers absolutely do not want Harris and would even refuse to sign him for the smallest contract offer possible.  Everything that we have read so far has shown that this is not the case.      

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

I feel like we're witnessing the beginning of the end of our memorable run. Was too good to be true.... Now things start to tumble. 

This is the PTSD from other regimes speaking. I know...my mind goes there as well from time to time. But this isn't Andrews team. It's Oshea's and Walters off the field. On the Field it's Bighills and Collaros'. What did Andrew provide last year that the other backs didn't? Honestly?

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Do you think Winnipeg would not sign him for a league minimum type contract?    Clearly the only reason the Blue would move on from him is the money + age / health factor.   

No need to nit pick with JCon just because the main point I had made possibly resonates with the both of you?      It's fun to **** on other teams for making silly decisions or to make fun of Rider fans for being off... but you can't pretend that this doesn't happen on these boards as well with our own fans.       

The only possible way I was wrong in my original post is if the Blue Bombers absolutely do not want Harris and would even refuse to sign him for the smallest contract offer possible.  Everything that we have read so far has shown that this is not the case.      

Right but you were complaining about something no one said. We're not signing him for $200k. If that's his price, he's going into a long offseason of misery because no one will. But at no point has $200k been a number mentioned on this board (as realistic) and in the press. 

If the price is fair, Walters needs to decide between him and the other two, much younger, RBs. 

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

This is the PTSD from other regimes speaking. I know...my mind goes there as well from time to time. But this isn't Andrews team. It's Oshea's and Walters off the field. On the Field it's Bighills and Collaros'. What did Andrew provide last year that the other backs didn't? Honestly?

Augustine averaged 7.1 yards per carry,   Brady averaged 4.6 , Harris 5.4.          

Harris is clutch and their isn't a way to use a metric for that but it's not like these other guys we have are complete bums.   

Augustine appears to also be a solid guy.....

http://michaelphall.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/PH20848-copy.jpg

Just now, Brandon said:

Augustine averaged 7.1 yards per carry,   Brady averaged 4.6 , Harris 5.4.          

Harris is clutch and their isn't a way to use a metric for that but it's not like these other guys we have are complete bums.   

Augustine appears to also be a solid guy.....

http://michaelphall.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/PH20848-copy.jpg

Augustine a monster.