Regular Season Bomber News

Mr Dee

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Demski and coombs are similar and wolitarsky and peterman are similar, so that is a good situation for back ups should the bombers bring coombs in.

So which other Manitoba runningbacks/receivers does Walters need to complete his collection?

How about Evan Gill? Is he still playing somewhere?

11 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Wasn't Demski an actual receiver in CIS?

Hard to expect Coombs to just slide into the role at the pro level.

Yes.  Technically, his first year with the Bisons was as RB/KR but he only carried the ball 20 times all season (he had 51 receptions).  He officially moved to the slot in his 2nd year.

15 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I believe Demski was a RB in high school and got moved to receiver on the Bisons.  Dobie had him, Coombs and LaFrance as backfield options at the same time for at least two seasons so it was about finding a way to put all the weapons on the field at the same time.

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

I believe he was a receiver in his last season only after being a runningback.  It was done to give him a better chance to make the CFL.

43 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

A good buddy of mine has coached Winnipeg high school football for many years and gone up against Harris, Coombs, Oliveira, Lafrance, Demski, etc. FWIW he's always said Coombs was the most dynamic and electrifying out of all of them.

I could see that playing against College kids, but he carries the least bulk of any of them so he's really not suited to running the ball in the CFL.

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

A good buddy of mine has coached Winnipeg high school football for many years and gone up against Harris, Coombs, Oliveira, Lafrance, Demski, etc. FWIW he's always said Coombs was the most dynamic and electrifying out of all of them.

Played with and against Harris, coached against the rest and coached a few of them in provincial team program.  Harris and Oliviera are workhorses that none of the rest compare to.  The big test for Oliviera in terms of whether or not he gets the opportunity Harris did to be an every down tailback is if he can pick up the pass protections and become a great receiver out of the backfield.

9 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Coombs is still on 26. I was surprised by that. Seems like he's been around forever...

I still have his first game in 2014 on my PVR.  Not because it was his first game, but because we kicked Toronto's butt in that game.  It was so sweet.  Willy looked like a young Tom Clements in that game.  

18 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I still have his first game in 2014 on my PVR.  Not because it was his first game, but because we kicked Toronto's butt in that game.  It was so sweet.  Willy looked like a young Tom Clements in that game.  

Drew Willy is a real tragic figure. Started out so well and then the lack of protection ended everything.

37 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I remember that game, that was also Mike O'Shea's first win as a head coach. They also ran a sick fake punt on 3rd down to Feoli-Guidino that completely fooled the Argos.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I remember that game. Everyone was predicting an Argo win. Ray at qb, Argos had Burke as DC. And bombers had a new Willy....who subsequently went out and absolutely torched Burke and his man Defense. It was fantastic. I was so high on Willy after that, stood in the pocket with authority back then. Stepping into throws. Oh if we only knew then what we know now. If you beat your Willy too much, it stops working.

Edited by Bigblue204

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I remember that game. Everyone was predicting an Argo win. Ray at qb, Argos had Burke as DC. And bombers had a new Willy....who subsequently went out and absolutely torched Burke and his man Defense. It was fantastic. I was so high on Willy after that, stood in the pocket with authority back then. Stepping into throws. Oh if we only knew then what we know now. If you beat your Willy too much, it stops working.

Fell asleep in health class did we?

10 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Obviously, his eyesight was badly affected as a consequence.

12 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I remember that game, that was also Mike O'Shea's first win as a head coach. They also ran a sick fake punt on 3rd down to Feoli-Guidino that completely fooled the Argos.

I will have to watch it again on Saturday afternoon to psych up for the game Saturday night.  At least it's not on too late for me, 9:00 pm start for Winnipeg must suck a bit.  I forgot that was O'Shea's first game.  I remember the controversy - will he wear shorts or not on the sidelines?  He did.  And no one died as a result.

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

BOO!

Bob Irving (@BobIrvingCJOB) Tweeted:
Pat Neufeld and Chris Mathews not practicing with Bombers. Questionable for Friday.

Not the news i was looking for here.  Actually not too worried about Neufeld because id like to see both Gray and Speller in there but would really like to see our complete receiving core out there this week.