Why We Lost

BigBlue

7 hours ago, Nolby said:

Hamiltons max protection on almost every offensive play was the main factor in why we lost. Our d line and blitzes were ineffective and masoli had way too much time to rip apart out cushy defence.

It was pretty obvious how Hamilton was going to attack our defensive attack. I never saw less than 6 or 7 guys on the line of scrimmage, and with the RB, they had 8 blockers.

Add that to the fact that they knew where they were going with the ball. Smart on their part. 

Trouble is, I thought the Bombers should have known this little tidbit. If they did, dumb on our part.

And we finally saw a glimpse of a rookie QB playing a good defence. But I don’t put one iota of blame on Streveler. He’s awesome. But, we did need to convert some 1st downs to keep the D off the field.

Hamilton, with a hot Mazoli, is going to be a tough team. Best in the East. They had a great game plan for us and executed..

14 minutes ago, do or die said:

Hamilton sends less receivers out.....so we back off in the secondary, and refuse to even contest ANY of their completions.  Some plan.....

Also a bit worrying that none of the players seemed to recognize that it wasn't working and try jumping the patterns. They all seemed to just play the scheme as it was...which I suppose is good in a sense. But when it's not working it'd be nice to have a leader step out of the scheme to try and create something. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

19 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

When you leave the first 10 yards pretty much open you're gonna see 7 yard passes all the time.

It seemed in some cases there was more than a three yard cushion when they took that seven yard out on the flat. Maddening to watch over and over and over again.

8 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It seemed in some cases there was more than a three yard cushion when they took that seven yard out on the flat. Maddening to watch over and over and over again.

Yeah the D was starting 10 yards off and dropping deeper then coming up to make the tackle after 8 or 9 yards. Great planning. Should have let Hamitlon keep max protection and only sent the 4 on the DL all night and dropped everyone into coverage, make Masoli thread some passes in rather than the easy pitch and catch all night long. 

People on this website knew that trying to blitz against Hamiltons protection would be useless, why didn't Ritchie Hall?

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah the D was starting 10 yards off and dropping deeper then coming up to make the tackle after 8 or 9 yards. Great planning. Should have let Hamitlon keep max protection and only sent the 4 on the DL all night and dropped everyone into coverage, make Masoli thread some passes in rather than the easy pitch and catch all night long. 

People on this website knew that trying to blitz against Hamiltons protection would be useless, why didn't Ritchie Hall?

If we were to go back and check, we would probably find he tried to blitz Calvillo back in the day. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Zero chance of his job in peril if the team is at 500 or better at the end of the year. 

I suspect that you are way wrong on this one. The pressure will be on Walters if this team misses the payoffs again, perhaps even if they make the playoffs but fail to advance. There are just too many examples of teams turning around in one or two years, let alone five years. Poop doesn't always roll just downhill. I don't think that Miller will let this sort of thng go on for much longer. If Miller and/or Walters has to deliver an ultimatum to O'Shea about Hall, the gallows is already being built.

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

I suspect that you are way wrong on this one. The pressure will be on Walters if this team misses the payoffs again, perhaps even if they make the playoffs but fail to advance. There are just too many examples of teams turning around in one or two years, let alone five years. Poop doesn't always roll just downhill. I don't think that Miller will let this sort of thng go on for much longer. If Miller and/or Walters has to deliver an ultimatum to O'Shea about Hall, the gallows is already being built.

I think that you are not only wrong, you are very wrong.  Care to enlighten us on how you've come to this opinion, or maybe more to the point, where you pulled this opinion out of?

12 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I think that you are not only wrong, you are very wrong.  Care to enlighten us on how you've come to this opinion, or maybe more to the point, where you pulled this opinion out of?

The reasons are stated above. Walters and O'Shea have to be approaching the point where Miller and the board have compare the results with those of other regimes that have rebuilt and won- Ottawa, Toronto and Hamilton are prime examples. So far this team has won no playoffs games since they arrived and are long overdue. Patience is fine, but the bottom lin is the bottom line.

As I'm here in Alberta and don't regularly watch/read local Winnipeg media, has anyone interviewed Hall on his thoughts about the game? Or does O'Shea keep his assistants away from the media?

Because I am definitely interested in how he would break down this one hot mess of a showing.

4 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

4 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

As I'm here in Alberta and don't regularly watch/read local Winnipeg media, has anyone interviewed Hall on his thoughts about the game? Or does O'Shea keep his assistants away from the media?

Because I am definitely interested in how he would break down this one hot mess of a showing.

All you need do is find a website of cliches by losing coaches and you will have the O'Shea-Hall commentary. "I thought the guys played hard". " the breaks didn't go our way today", "we need to forget about this game and prepare for the next one" etc etc...

Edited by Tracker

15 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Yeah, if anything Walters should be vindicated because he's giving the team talent and Hall is wasting it on the defensive side.

I do agree that at this point the expectations should be higher now than simply making the playoffs and this team should start calling anything short of a Grey Cup win a failure.  But I would hold onto Walters and O'Shea a little longer so long they don't come up with any more half-baked excuse to not fire our awful DC.

Edited by USABomberfan

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

Yeah, if anything Walters should be vindicated because he's giving the team talent and Hall is wasting it on the defensive side.

I do agree that at this point the expectations should be higher now than simply making the playoffs and this team should start calling anything short of a Grey Cup win a failure.  But I would hold onto Walters and O'Shea a little longer so long they don't come up with any more half-baked excuse to not fire our awful DC.

It’s week 4. The Grey Cup is a long way off.  Our starting QB hasn’t played a snap.  There’s no need to jump in a noose after every loss.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It’s week 4. The Grey Cup is a long way off.  Our starting QB hasn’t played a snap.  There’s no need to jump in a noose after every loss.

Logic? Good sir that has NO place on a bomber forum following a loss. The sky is clearly falling. 

5 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Ok, let’s talk about the last two playoff games. Excellent QB play with a very poor showing by the D. I know it’s only been 3 games so far, but it feels like we’re watching the same movie again. 

Not just the D but coaching was heavily questioned after both losses as well.

It does feel like we are on track for the same despite having by far the most talented group of defensive players in that period of time. The previous defenses and teams fed off a TON of forced turn overs though. So Between that and the rook qb and the added talent on D I have greater hope for this team. But our coaching, especially hall but also the plop out smarting him self and no one else stretches have to improve. Coaching is our primary limiting factor right now. Which is kind of scary.