Odds and Sods - Bombers at BC Lions

Rainey takes opening KO 65 yds....but FG missed....
Nichols fumbles ....Normand turns it into first down...
Nichols is hammered on a LB blitz
Bombers give up long KR - fumble - sack - long pass play
....in the first couple of minutes...
Lulay bombs one to Burnham...
...then perfect TD pass to Manny A...over Cartwright
....looking too easy for the Lions...
Nichols holding the ball too long....and is sacked....
..Matt looking kinda indecisive......
Bombers giving up big plays on both sides of the ball...
Blue get one....on blocked punt, up the gut...by Jones...
The Fever....sort of gets into the end zone.....
...for the Bombers first points on O, in 1st Q, this year....
Pretty soft zone....Burnham out jumps 2 DB's for big gain...
14 yards passing....22 net yards.....on offense.
Must be a Blue Bomber first quarter.....
Alexander deked right out of his shoes......
...then Hurl gets completely turnstiled by Rainey on 40 yd gain...
BC just waltzing down the field....Johnson then has 5 yd TD run..
17-7 Lions.   Bombers looking weak on both sides of the ball....
Harris fumbles next series.....Knox gets it back on INT....
...but has it wiped out by nonsensical penalty on Thomas...brutal.
...costs Blue another 3.  TOP lopsided for BC...as they are up 20-7
Bombers speed up tempo on O, and uses some misdirection......
Nichols getting it out faster and working wide side of field....
Denmark wide open on the ole corner pattern.....20 yd TD..
BC Offense also working the flats....with plenty of missed Blue tackles...
Roc Cartwright getting worked over, yet again.....no other options, here?
Just before half....more missed tackles....250 yds passing and 27 points against...
Did Jim Daley sneak back here, when no one was looking?  27-14 BC.
Medlock lines up for 46 yds FG attempt......but hold the phone!
He chips it down the sideline to Mike Miller, hiding on the sideline.....
30 yard gain.  Adams then catches corner route TD from Nichols.  27-21 Lions
BC takes Objectionable C. and keeps Blue O on the field.....
Nichols rolls out at the 20.....and just keeps on going for the TD....
Bomber inch into the lead.....this will be a barn burner.....
Loffler spends a lot of time near the box for a S....need more help in back..
Nichols hits 50 sideline bomb to Adams.....completes couple more.....
...then puts it up deep in the end zone....Adams makes great one-handed TD catch.
Mike Miller is a special teams hit man......
Medlock not punting it well, at all.....
Jake Thomas jumps up, deflects pass, intercepts, and laterals it.......
...to Knox who steams down the sidelines for a 30 yd TD..
Bombers up 42-27.  Time for some killer instinct.....
Blue getting better pressure and some hits on Lulay.....
Another bad Medlock punt gives BC ball inside Bomber 40...
Bad Lulay throw is picked off in style...by the beleaguered Carmichael....
....next series....Roc loses the 50/50 ball to Burnham for big gain...
Manny A. grabs crossing route TD.  42-34 Bombers
Bombers really need some O.....but are getting 2 and outs...
Lot of passes short of the marker....no 2nd down conversions....
Medlock punting from Blue 25.....on 3rd and 15.
He throws a pass!... while the rest of the team are playing the punt?
Brutal turnover.   Naturally Lulay scrambles 15 yds for the TD
2 point convert.  15 point lead blown.   42-42.
Bomber collars tightening....by the minute....another 2 and out...
With 2 minutes to go....Nichols has the game in his hand......
...and proceeds to telegraph the out pass for horrific INT.
BC Field goal gives Lions the lead.....45-42.
45 seconds left.....Bombers burn up the clock with dinks and dunks
Medlock lines up for 50 yd tying field goal....and it is right down the pipe...
BUT SHORT!    Bombers simply choke away a potential key win...
The crazy gamble by MOS....the chickenschmit play calling from Lapo...
....and the crucial INT from Nichols...are not what contenders are made of....
Bombers back to the drawing board.  DOD back to the drinking glass....

38 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Counted five two and outs in a row in the 4th, quarter by us when it mattered most....Ain't nearly good enough

After 3 or 4 two and outs a smart coach would have stuck in LeFevour for a series to get them over the hump and back on track.  Two benefits, LeFevour is a spark plug and it gives Nichols a chance to refocus and pull his head out of his butt.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

We definitively become a different team in the fourth quarter. This was the playoff game part deux. we get things done then the coaches freeze. And the other guys knowing it  gang up on Harris.  Why not use what had gotten us there? They were bunching up so the edges were opening up.  Ten yards and out of bounds gives you lots of time plus a lot of yards.. They did it with success. 

However, there is a consolation. we pretty well stay the course in the first quarters from game to game.

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

After 3 or 4 two and outs a smart coach would have stuck in LeFevour for a series to get them over the hump and back on track.  Two benefits, LeFevour is a spark plug and it gives Nichols a chance to refocus and pull his head out of his butt.

Nobody does that.  When is the last time you have seen a coach do this?  Specific example please.

7 hours ago, Mark F said:

sort of, or, "possibly"

22 yards Offence  in first quarter.

When and how are they going to do something about that bad habit?

Sort of, possibly, how did that get past the review? Oh well td good guys i didnt see him cross or come close. 

Hope they fix it soon, but probably not gonna change. 

3 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

I promise to never complain about Bruce Johnson again once he's healthy. Good lord Carmichael is awful.

It is concerning that Carmichael is as good as the Bombers have been able to field. Surely to God we can do better than that.

47 minutes ago, tracker said:

It is concerning that Carmichael is as good as the Bombers have been able to field. Surely to God we can do better than that.

This is the kind of thing I have been referring to. We seem willing to accept players like this instead of insisting only on players who are among the best in the league.

15 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

I promise to never complain about Bruce Johnson again once he's healthy. Good lord Carmichael is awful.

Oh im sure MOS will keep him in the lineup and keep telling us how great he was in camp. Ive had more than enough of the constant shielding and babying MOS spews out after every depressing loss. I sure hope behind closed doors there is a lot more accountability.

random media member  "Roc Carmichael was again beaten for multiple touchdowns, is there a need for concern?"

MOS "Thats on me. I need to put him in a better position to succeed . We really liked him in training camp. Were happy with his development."

random media member  "Justin Medlock was 0/6 and missed 3 inside the 30. You lost by 3. Does he need to be better?(would never happen but you get my point).

MOS "Thats on me. I need to put him in a better position to succeed. I thought Justin had a strong game in other aspects. He really patted the guys on the butt firmly after a nice play and was really solid in his sideline arm-crossing."

random media member  "All season Sam Hurl has missed numerous open field tackles that led to big gains and TD's. Is this an issue going forward?"

MOS "Sam Hurl is fine. I dont worry about Sam Hurl. I thought he looked great out there in his uniform, it fit just right. I need to put him in a better position to succeed. Thats on me."

Obviously i dont think he should be throwing players under the bus but winners like Dickenson have no problem telling it like it is. I sincerely hope the constant love fest MOS has for his players isnt clouding his judgement. It sure seems like it has at times over the years.

3 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Oh im sure MOS will keep him in the lineup and keep telling us how great he was in camp. Ive had more than enough of the constant shielding and babying MOS spews out after every depressing loss. I sure hope behind closed doors there is a lot more accountability.

random media member  "Roc Carmichael was again beaten for multiple touchdowns, is there a need for concern?"

MOS "Thats on me. I need to put him in a better position to succeed . We really liked him in training camp. Were happy with his development."

random media member  "Justin Medlock was 0/6 and missed 3 inside the 30. You lost by 3. Does he need to be better?(would never happen but you get my point).

MOS "Thats on me. I need to put him in a better position to succeed. I thought Justin had a strong game in other aspects. He really patted the guys on the butt firmly after a nice play and was really solid in his sideline arm-crossing."

random media member  "All season Sam Hurl has missed numerous open field tackles that led to big gains and TD's. Is this an issue going forward?"

MOS "Sam Hurl is fine. I dont worry about Sam Hurl. I thought he looked great out there in his uniform, it fit just right. I need to put him in a better position to succeed. Thats on me."

Obviously i dont think he should be throwing players under the bus but winners like Dickenson have no problem telling it like it is. I sincerely hope the constant love fest MOS has for his players isnt clouding his judgement. It sure seems like it has at times over the years.

N.W.O.A.R.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

If you want good players to play for this team, you don't build a good reputation by "telling it like it is".... 

This is simply a case of fans wanting players and coaches and managers to be as angry as they are. I mean they want guys like Chris Jones and Mike Kelly who will happily throw players under the bus because it makes them feel vindicated as fans for being upset. They absolutely hate it when coaches are in control because they themselves can't control themselves. 

I think Mr Noeller you are being paid by the Blue and Gold to monitor this site and present as positive a position that you can. Even Ed Tait who is a paid employee tells it more like it is. Of course you have to tell it like it is....if not, you lie right off the bat and where do you go from there? By at least being honest with players and fans alike everyone gets the true picture and then can make a somewhat educated decision going forward.

I akin this to the constant before season hype from the Bombers year in and year out....first it was rebuilding so don't expect a lot. Then when that slant didn't work it was all about the quality of players that the scouts have brought it... a huge improvement that will create good competition at training camp....yet we see the same players and most if not all the recruits either on the PR or cut. An improvement? Then we heard we signed all the coaching staff because it created continuity and that is always good....and referencing teams like Calgary and Edmonton. Well Edmonton changed coaches, not by choice but nonetheless did and in the first year made the playoffs while losing many of their starters and much of the coaching staff the year previous. Calgary only seems to find quality players whether it be from the PR or scouting.....year in and year out. We don't do that!

We simply rely on the old lines of much improved this year. Then as the year progresses it is an injury issue as if no other team in the league has injuries and finally at the end of the year it comes down to a few plays here and there that caused us to miss the playoffs again.....all the while our coach talks about how great the players are and how hard they work.

No one is saying they don't play hard, no one is saying they are not talented. Perhaps what they are saying is these players are not being put in a position to win....not being put in a position to display their skills....not being coached according to their skills versus what the coaches think they should able to do. I realize there is a give and take here but let's be realistic.....this is a team that, at least in my opinion, is underperforming in several areas and these areas are consistent year in and year out. Bad coaching decisions by the head coach, an ineffective offense hell bent on dink and dunk where every team in the league knows it and doesn't even plan for the maybe one or two times we may get lucky downfield, and an ineffective defense that cannot seem to cover receivers period. Yes we do stop the run most games but the pass.....well that is simply another story. Are they coached properly....well whenever I see a DB trying to defend a pass and he is neither looking at the receivers eyes to see when the ball is coming or looking for the ball but simply flaying away at the air, then I see poor coaching or poor individual habits. Can it be taught, certainly but these guys are not rookies coming direct from college....most have played professional football somewhere so is it that they haven't learned, won't learn, or can't learn......or is it the coaches can't teach it.

I guess what I am trying to say is while I understand that you want to put a positive spin on everything, this does not mean you are a better bomber fan than those who talk about their shortcomings and who are frankly finished with the BS that keeps coming forth from this organization. We all want them to win and again frankly no one more so than myself. I haven't invested over 63 years watching and listening to this team so I can be fed total nonsense. When Bud Grant was the coach or Cal Murphy, there was no mincing words on the quality of product on the field. They expected to win and were coached that way. It was unacceptable to be substandard and while that did not always translate to winning, it nonetheless led to competitive, aggressive football that was both entertaining and rewarding to the players and fans. What we see today is neither.

So because people speak about what they perceive to be issues with this team....they do so as a fan and someone who expects more.

22 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

I think Mr Noeller you are being paid by the Blue and Gold to monitor this site and present as positive a position that you can. Even Ed Tait who is a paid employee tells it more like it is. Of course you have to tell it like it is....if not, you lie right off the bat and where do you go from there? By at least being honest with players and fans alike everyone gets the true picture and then can make a somewhat educated decision going forward.

I akin this to the constant before season hype from the Bombers year in and year out....first it was rebuilding so don't expect a lot. Then when that slant didn't work it was all about the quality of players that the scouts have brought it... a huge improvement that will create good competition at training camp....yet we see the same players and most if not all the recruits either on the PR or cut. An improvement? Then we heard we signed all the coaching staff because it created continuity and that is always good....and referencing teams like Calgary and Edmonton. Well Edmonton changed coaches, not by choice but nonetheless did and in the first year made the playoffs while losing many of their starters and much of the coaching staff the year previous. Calgary only seems to find quality players whether it be from the PR or scouting.....year in and year out. We don't do that!

We simply rely on the old lines of much improved this year. Then as the year progresses it is an injury issue as if no other team in the league has injuries and finally at the end of the year it comes down to a few plays here and there that caused us to miss the playoffs again.....all the while our coach talks about how great the players are and how hard they work.

No one is saying they don't play hard, no one is saying they are not talented. Perhaps what they are saying is these players are not being put in a position to win....not being put in a position to display their skills....not being coached according to their skills versus what the coaches think they should able to do. I realize there is a give and take here but let's be realistic.....this is a team that, at least in my opinion, is underperforming in several areas and these areas are consistent year in and year out. Bad coaching decisions by the head coach, an ineffective offense hell bent on dink and dunk where every team in the league knows it and doesn't even plan for the maybe one or two times we may get lucky downfield, and an ineffective defense that cannot seem to cover receivers period. Yes we do stop the run most games but the pass.....well that is simply another story. Are they coached properly....well whenever I see a DB trying to defend a pass and he is neither looking at the receivers eyes to see when the ball is coming or looking for the ball but simply flaying away at the air, then I see poor coaching or poor individual habits. Can it be taught, certainly but these guys are not rookies coming direct from college....most have played professional football somewhere so is it that they haven't learned, won't learn, or can't learn......or is it the coaches can't teach it.

I guess what I am trying to say is while I understand that you want to put a positive spin on everything, this does not mean you are a better bomber fan than those who talk about their shortcomings and who are frankly finished with the BS that keeps coming forth from this organization. We all want them to win and again frankly no one more so than myself. I haven't invested over 63 years watching and listening to this team so I can be fed total nonsense. When Bud Grant was the coach or Cal Murphy, there was no mincing words on the quality of product on the field. They expected to win and were coached that way. It was unacceptable to be substandard and while that did not always translate to winning, it nonetheless led to competitive, aggressive football that was both entertaining and rewarding to the players and fans. What we see today is neither.

So because people speak about what they perceive to be issues with this team....they do so as a fan and someone who expects more.

41 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

You don't expect me to read this do you?