Odds and Sods - Bombers at BC Lions

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Weston Dressler, while perhaps past his prime, is an elite receiver in this league. How's that even in question?

The way he has and is currently playing for us, I would suggest he is still in his prime.

When healthy, and looking at his stats since 2008, he hasn't shown anything to suggest otherwise.

He runs and catches like a beast. Blue and Gold looks very nice on him.

13 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

The way he has and is currently playing for us, I would suggest he is still in his prime.

When healthy, and looking at his stats since 2008, he hasn't shown anything to suggest otherwise.

He runs and catches like a beast. Blue and Gold looks very nice on him.

Exactly why I used the word "perhaps" in my post. ;)

Dressler is a top receiving talent in the CFL and there's no argument against that. And agreed, blue and gold looks great on him.

14 hours ago, tracker said:

Would a player sign for less because O'Shea is here? I doubt it.

agree.

I think it's pretty safe to say in general  the players sign where they can get the most money. Within some limit or other......give or take five thousand bucks or so, and playoff cash. I don't know about that.

They're not going to go on twitter and say "I signed with ________ cause they offered me __________dollars more than any other team"

It's probably true that players like O'Shea. What's not to like? Seems like an excellent guy.

Edited by Mark F

9 minutes ago, Mark F said:

agree.

I think it's pretty safe to say in general  the players sign where they can get the most money. Within some limit or other......give or take five thousand bucks or so, and playoff cash. I don't know about that.

They're not going to go on twitter and say "I signed with ________ cause they offered me __________dollars more than any other team"

It's probably true that players like O'Shea. What's not to like? Seems like an excellent guy.

Almost every time on every sport, when a coach gets canned, the players flock to the microphone to say how much they loved playing for him. I suspect that, for the best players, a coach who gives them a chance to win every game is held in higher esteem than a "nice guy". 

9 minutes ago, tracker said:

Almost every time on every sport, when a coach gets canned, the players flock to the microphone to say how much they loved playing for him. I suspect that, for the best players, a coach who gives them a chance to win every game is held in higher esteem than a "nice guy". 

Huh... I don't remember that when Kelly was canned. I don't remember that when Burke was canned, either. I also can't say I recall that happening when Noel was canned (just to bring up other sports).

Crappy head coaches don't get fake love from their players, especially the ones who have no trouble dumping on their players.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Huh... I don't remember that when Kelly was canned. I don't remember that when Burke was canned, either. I also can't say I recall that happening when Noel was canned (just to bring up other sports).

Crappy head coaches don't get fake love from their players, especially the ones who have no trouble dumping on their players.

There are exceptions as you have noted, but it is far more common for players to fawn over the departed coach. And BTW, Kelly was "a players' coach".

Just now, tracker said:

There are exceptions as you have noted, but it is far more common for players to fawn over the departed coach. And BTW, Kelly was "a players' coach".

I just listed three off the top of my head... Locally in the last decade. Three instances in which players didn't "flock to the microphone" to fawn over a dismissed coach.

Kelly was a player's coach...? Yeah, it sure looked that way in his lone season here. Oh, wait...