Posters: Whats different this young season?

BigBlue

Just now, Floyd said:

Start threads with some stats and analysis...  you post more on TEP and no offence but they only thing 'less negative' about that forum is Aardvark.

Your post is the most negative one in this thread...  You complain about people writing of the DL after one game (which I don't think anyone did...??) yet on the other forum you write off Shaylon Green after one game.  To be honest, you are one of the most aggressive posters on here in terms of going after people almost on a personal level.

If the admins want a football discussion, they need to steer it that way...

Or bring Garrett back... and put up with his OCD ha

Not sure how I wrote Shayon Green off, I responded to a thread discussing a suggestion Hubbard might play this week by saying I wouldn't be surprised because Green played horrible.

You seem to be missing the idea of a forum. We can only drive content to an extent, it's still up to each individual here to share content. I'll give you an example, since you like them so much: Rich posted a thread about our new signing yesterday (which you mentioned we should do more of) and the only reply you provided in that thread was about something that had nothing to do with the thread at all. So maybe look in the mirror if you want content driven in a certain direction.

PS - I have no idea how you could possibly think I'm "the most aggressive", I rarely ever post anymore. And "most negative one in this thread"? Hardly negative at all, just sharing my outlook. Which others seem to agree with. So I guess if there's a "most negative", it's a multi-way tie.

I think we'll be alright. Our offence being the problem spot from the first game, let's take a look at it: Smith showed flashes of why we went after him. Dressler seemed like he was going to have a big day until he was hurt. Both Darvin Adams and Jace Davis made big plays as well. And obviously we still have Andrew Harris. Once Willy shakes the rust off, and gels with his receivers, it isn't foolish to have tremendous optimism. 

Edited by BBlink

Start threads with some stats and analysis...

There is nothing stopping any one of our fine posters from gathering and posting, information that may be  of interest to Bomber fans. Maybe more doing, instead of waiting for it to get done will help matters along?  

Any forum is only as strong as the members who contribute to it, hopefully in more positive ways..

2 hours ago, Mike said:

As a secondary thought, I think I came up with a better way to explain how I feel.

II come here to avoid all of that and engage in actual DISCUSSION (what went wrong, what went well, what did you think about this play, what did you see in this situation, etc) and it seems like the general attitude around these parts lately is more akin to the water cooler discussion I avoid in every day situations.

I watched the game a second time, slowed it down, hoping to see something..... posted a comment about the Offensive line yesterday, something I thought I saw...... (I don't know much, and don't pretend to... also the field of view  is so small, don't know how people can see some of the things they say they saw) .

It was an attempt to figure out what was going on on the O line. other than "so and so sucks"

I was hoping somebody  who knew more than me,  would point out what was right or wrong about what I said. Lots of comments after mine, but no response to my question.

Not sure what to make of that.

I don't think the people complaining don't care about the team. The forum should be concerned when people can't be bothered to complain. ie.... how many people post (positive or negative) at the Argonauts fan forum? 

finally, I saw Willy miss two open guys at the end of the firs half, that would have been long gains, and maybe touchdowns. I Think he will pick that up.

Edited by Mark F

For the stats I keep, I count a "new year" from December to November so it coincides with the end of the Grey Cup.

From a pure number of posts, we are pretty much exactly where we were last year.

The month of June is down, but we also had a busier off season.

In fact our busiest period ever was June and July of 2014, which also happens to coincide with the 5 - 1 start we had that year.  The rest of that year took a slide as we plummeted back to reality.  I can pretty much directly graph how busy this site gets to the Bombers record.  The better the record, the more visits and activity we have typically seen.  We are way busier after a win than a loss.

As to content, I agree with Mr Dee's post.  As moderators, we can try to facilitate and promote discussion through how the site is run and rules enforced, but a community like this is really driven by its membership.   Always open to suggestions and ideas on how we can make things better, but the site is ultimately a reflection of its Membership.

On a personal note, when I visit the site, I've noticed I tend to look at the NHL and General forums before diving into the Bomber forum.  I suspect though that would change if the Bombers ever start putting up a winning record.

I have been a Bomber fan for 40+ years, through good and bad, and I am angry about the lack of progress through successive regimes and how that has turned by team into a laughing stock while other teams have had bad stretches but picked themselves up in relatively short order and became respectable. No team wins every season, but its been a very long time in the desert for us fans. As long as fans still care enough to get angry, they are engaged. When they get to the point where they no longer care, the team is in big trouble and I believe we are not far from that now. No one here is maligning O'Shea or Walters or Willy on a personal basis, but criticizing them for the results they are producing on the field. And yes, they are also bearing the wrath and resentment that Kelly, Mack, Bauer, LaPolice and Burke generated. We were lied to and betrayed.

To the Bombers brain trust: for God's sake- give us reason to hope.

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

He actually quit this site because we weren't saying thank-you enough for the practice reports he was providing. He said we didn't appreciate him enough...so he went exclusively to TEP....

His problem was he wanted desperately for everyone to kiss his ass as some kind of insider, except he didn't know enough about football to ever get he respect he wanted. Seriously he kept posting his observations from camp, which is great but he kept seeing things no one else did. I remember comparing my views to his last year after we were there and he was so out to lunch it was laughable. 

7 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I am surprised at the low level of activity on this forum compared to earlier years. Normally we have a steady stream of comments during the season from 6 am to 1 am. I am not seeing that right now; in fact its real easy to catch up with all the new posts. I remember I used to check in every 2 or 3 hours. Now, not so much...

Is thus resignation and bitter disappointment, the loss of real hope.... or is something else?

3 hours ago, Rich said:

For the stats I keep, I count a "new year" from December to November so it coincides with the end of the Grey Cup.

From a pure number of posts, we are pretty much exactly where we were last year.

The month of June is down, but we also had a busier off season.

In fact our busiest period ever was June and July of 2014, which also happens to coincide with the 5 - 1 start we had that year.  The rest of that year took a slide as we plummeted back to reality.  I can pretty much directly graph how busy this site gets to the Bombers record.  The better the record, the more visits and activity we have typically seen.  We are way busier after a win than a loss.

As to content, I agree with Mr Dee's post.  As moderators, we can try to facilitate and promote discussion through how the site is run and rules enforced, but a community like this is really driven by its membership.   Always open to suggestions and ideas on how we can make things better, but the site is ultimately a reflection of its Membership.

On a personal note, when I visit the site, I've noticed I tend to look at the NHL and General forums before diving into the Bomber forum.  I suspect though that would change if the Bombers ever start putting up a winning record.

Poster Big Blue has a very intriguing question. It becomes answered factually with data by Rich. The conclusion is that nothing has changed in terms of the number of posts given the performance of the Bomber squad.

thanks Rich for the objective view.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Not sure how I wrote Shayon Green off, I responded to a thread discussing a suggestion Hubbard might play this week by saying I wouldn't be surprised because Green played horrible.

You seem to be missing the idea of a forum. We can only drive content to an extent, it's still up to each individual here to share content. I'll give you an example, since you like them so much: Rich posted a thread about our new signing yesterday (which you mentioned we should do more of) and the only reply you provided in that thread was about something that had nothing to do with the thread at all. So maybe look in the mirror if you want content driven in a certain direction.

PS - I have no idea how you could possibly think I'm "the most aggressive", I rarely ever post anymore. And "most negative one in this thread"? Hardly negative at all, just sharing my outlook. Which others seem to agree with. So I guess if there's a "most negative", it's a multi-way tie.

Since Floyd's post has been removed I'll remove mine & not get involved.

Edited by iso_55

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

He actually quit this site because we weren't saying thank-you enough for the practice reports he was providing. He said we didn't appreciate him enough...so he went exclusively to TEP....

OMG seriously?  I thought we thanked him plenty.  I liked the guy well enough but if you're just posting stuff to be thanked, then go ahead and post elsewhere.

I know what it's like to be the big dog.  It's pretty good.  But the fact of the matter is, when you go to the neighbour's  house and wash your clothes in the sink, you can't get that stain out.  Not in a million years.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that we all need to look in the mirror and answer the question, that one burning question.  But you already knew that.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

As a secondary thought, I think I came up with a better way to explain how I feel.

I avoid talking football with people at work or in my family, including my dad who I attend games with, because all you seem to get out of them is "Willy sucks! Wade Miller sucks! Everything sucks! We're the worst!" and I just find it incredibly frustrating to listen to.

I come here to avoid all of that and engage in actual DISCUSSION (what went wrong, what went well, what did you think about this play, what did you see in this situation, etc) and it seems like the general attitude around these parts lately is more akin to the water cooler discussion I avoid in every day situations.

This is a good post and it gave me pause to consider my own posts and my own attitude towards the Bombers right now. I want them to win. I want them to win for my Dad, my Brother, my now 3 month old. I want to have fun watching this team again. This organization, however, has beaten me down so badly the last quarter century (jesus... century) that my patience level is razor thin.

I'm insanely bitter with my favourite sports team (Jets are a tie). It doesn't feel good to be bitter about a team that you grew up loving and have so many fond memories of. Unlike years and years ago I don't have much reason to believe that we're going to get any better anytime soon either. The educated football fan in me, after watching the CFL for 30 ish years now, tells me this team is likely another sub 500 team. The question left is are we a dumpster fire or just a bad team?

I want this club to prove me wrong and I'll happily eat crow. I really want that.

Unlike in the past (Manitoba Moose years from 96 till 2011), when the Jets returned, people could and have quickly tuned out on the downward spiral of the Bomber's season (which in the past 4 or 5 years has coincided with the start of the Jet's preseason or a few weeks in) and focused solely on the Jets. The Jets are naturally going to get more attention in this market, but when they were here before (1.0), the Bombers were competent AND competitive. Fans losing interest in the Bombers by Sept. or early Oct. is not good. The distraction of the Jets makes it easier to do so. A continual non playoff Bomber team makes it even easier. When the Moose (1.0 ;)) were here I could have cared less about hockey and a bad end to a Bomber season seemed to tick me off more. Now it's much easier to brush off the 8 of the last 9 seasons not in the playoffs with the hockey fix. I am passionate about the Bombers, what about the less passionate ones? Bad Bomber teams will produce a lot more Jets fans and a lot less Bomber fans in the future if the current trend were to continue. Hopefully the Bombers turn it around soon.

Edited by IC Khari

Apparently what we are witnessing here is not the unique expression of Bomber fans. The fan phenomenon is not exclusive to our Blue B's but is common to all sports fans. There are those that "bask in reflected glory" and those that "cut off reflected failure". I wear my bomber gear, even after a loss.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201112/the-psychology-sports-fans

Edited by Rod Black

Ironically 30 for 30 tonight was about the Cleveland Sports Fans 50+ year championship draught. Blue Jays game was delayed so I was channel surfing and found it. Pretty interesting the parallels I noticed between their sports fanbase and some of the things I hear from some of the younger sports fans in this town. LeBron is the king of that town but not so much for the other sports teams (even though the Indians aren't bad this year). Maybe it will be Laine/Ehlers etc that becomes king of Winnipeg. Hopefully the Bombers won't be forgotten. We really need to have this franchise get back on it's feet and fighting again.

Edited by IC Khari

A little late to the posting party, but maybe a specific thread for just expressing the immediate feelings right after a loss (maybe a win too)? I know I was extremely upset right after the loss and it kinda helps seeing others express those first feelings that occur before realizing the sky isn't falling. Soon after I don't envision the team going winless this year and can take it in perspective and realize its just one game. I think I remember someone saying that is what the chat is for, but I for one rarely have access to chat during, or immediately after the game. Perhaps it could filter the hyper-negative stuff post loss from all the other threads. Just a thought.

Second, I am a teacher in Northern MB and I introduce my students to football, most of who have no idea about the game other than what the actual ball looks like. After playing it a bunch they quickly gain interest.. Its a great sport after all. Every once in a while I show them clips from the CFL, return tds, exciting plays and such and the become really excited about watching the game. Get some of them to watch bomber games, but lately its pretty frustrating with the bombers not winning and often putting up boring and depressing games. Hard to get them hooked to following the team, but I'm in my early 30s and somehow I'm fully into it even with what's gone on in the 25 years I've been a fan.

I don't see a lot of difference posting here numbers wise as Rich pointed out. I've read that a lot of people use Instagram & twitter rather than websites like these now. I agree as there were some huge CFL websites back in the 2000's but that has changed as for the most part they are gone.

Edited by iso_55