Bombers "close to" deal with Dressler

Mike

26 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Anything over 175k i would pass on Dressler i'm sure we can find a couple of receivers if there not happy with what they have coming back plus we have more pressing concerns at ol, dl and rb.

You know what I feel better about the talent on the OL than receivers especially with Moore not being back. Receiver just might be the spot we are most lacking. I like Denmark but he can't be our best guy and I don't have a terribly high opinion of Adams. Canadians are OK but not game breakers so they need to be surrounded by guys who can be that. 

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not sure what he's going to make but I don't know how anyone could say they would balk at him as "x" price that isn't well outside the normal salary landscape. You're going to pass on him over 10-15k without knowing any of our other financial details?

You also have to consider the enhanced marketing opportunities of acquiring a "marquee name" like Dressler.  Wade Miller is looking for a bone that he can sell to the masses.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You know what I feel better about the talent on the OL than receivers especially with Moore not being back. Receiver just might be the spot we are most lacking. I like Denmark but he can't be our best guy and I don't have a terribly high opinion of Adams. Canadians are OK but not game breakers so they need to be surrounded by guys who can be that. 

Addison Richards excluded of course.  He's game breaker material if I ever saw it.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

45 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I hope this is not another  'we liked your offer but'  something along the lines of Stubler, who was all set to come here till Huffer gave him a call and we bid him adios...I hope the hell we're not getting played.

Whatever.  If that's how it goes, then that's how it goes.  Sometimes things are out of your control.  I'd like to get Dressler, but if he chooses to go elsewhere, there are other options.

My guess is who gives a flying fack on what they pay the guy....  I'd rather they over pay and have Dressler start then for us to waste 100 000 or whatever they paid Romby Bryant and whatever money they had going to roster fillers like Aaron Kelly.     Unless they go nutso  anything under 200 000 is a steal in my opinion.   

The scouting has been a disappointment say for a few on defense, and because of this we need to look at free agency. I agree with Brandon show him the money. He is a game changer, If  we are unable to sign Dressler  with the highest offer and Calgary does, that should tell us fans that players around the league want to go to a winner and Bombers haven't proven to be anything close to this. 

14 minutes ago, TransconaBomberfan said:

If  we are unable to sign Dressler  with the highest offer and Calgary does, that should tell us fans that players around the league want to go to a winner and Bombers haven't proven to be anything close to this. 

Nah. It doesn't necessarily tell me that. Although it may be true to an extent, there are recent examples of FA  signings that fly against that rational. (Moore, Bryant, Adams, Hurl and even the re-signing of Nichols)

And, if that were always true, how would that explain Ottawa being able to sign 4-5 FA  receivers last season after their dismal inaugural season?

8 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Has Dressler signed with Calgary yet? And where can I get my tar and feathers ... on the march to IGF or beforehand? ;)

I think you pick it up from richard karikari's house. 

I hope they dont break the bank for the guy, but i think he has a chance to be one of the best WRs in the cfl if our offensive playing calling isnt the hot poop weve seen in the past. 

Nick Moore only signed with Winnipeg because they offered him the most cash , he admitted to it on Radio. Stanley Bryant chose us because there was no where else to go after all the other Oline signed. Sam Hurl signed here because they promised him he would start, please name me any other team where Hurl starts at Linebacker . Matt Nichols knows he is one injury away from starting , name me another team where he would start. Even in there first year they showed way more progress than Winnipeg and spent a lot of money on these free agents .

2 minutes ago, TransconaBomberfan said:

Nick Moore only signed with Winnipeg because they offered him the most cash , he admitted to it on Radio. Stanley Bryant chose us because there was no where else to go after all the other Oline signed. Sam Hurl signed here because they promised him he would start, please name me any other team where Hurl starts at Linebacker . Matt Nichols knows he is one injury away from starting , name me another team where he would start. Even in there first year they showed way more progress than Winnipeg and spent a lot of money on these free agents .

Bryant could have gone to most any team in the cfl.

1 hour ago, TransconaBomberfan said:

But you said players want to go to a winner...not to Winnipeg. I guess Westerman was just a fluke too. And now you're changing the parameters. Naughty, naughty. 

Sounds like you're rationalizing, oops, I meant irrationalizing.

You're gonna give Transcona a bad name.

2 hours ago, TransconaBomberfan said:

Lol at the Nicholls comment...  I'm pretty sure if he backed up any other team he would be one injury away from starting.   

Hurl - Toronto

Bryant - Multiple teams made offers to him.

Moore - I'm pretty sure he had a tonne of offers since he was coming off a great season and was not injury prone at the time. Even if he did choose us because we made the highest offer... isn't that usually how free agency works?