Bombers "close to" deal with Dressler

Mike

I heard rumour of a sad little man in a green jersey and trench coat canvassing vendors along Brookside Blvd. asking if they would throw in a life-time of free panini sandwiches and soup if he moved to Winnipeg.  Apparently all he's received so far is half off a patty-melt at subway and a voucher for a free truck wash.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 minute ago, pigseye said:

Well you can't force a guy to sign, but this is becoming all too common place for the Bombers. If Dressler goes elsewhere it's time for Wade to address what the F the problem is and why they can't land upper echelon players.

If Dressler goes elsewhere...

Patience, patients.

On 1/24/2016 at 7:19 PM, Double Dare said:

From a marketing and ticket sales standpoint, the prospect of promoting a new offence featuring Drew Willy, Andrew Harris and Weston Dressler coached by Paul LaPolice would be a huge coup. It would make people forget about the Marcel Bellefeuille era pretty quickly. 

Edited by iso_55
Quoted Wrong Post

Iso, this is what you posted, a scant 2 days ago. It would be best to keep it in mind. It's media-driven. Everybody wants to get the story out first. That's their job. But until we hear the Bombers have inked him, or that we hear he's a Western Dressler, then we have to temper our angst, and wait for an official announcement.

8 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

So far the Bombers have the best offer on the table. It is a fair offer and is fiscally responsible for the Bombers, but it hasn't knocked Dressler's socks off. Therefore, he is waiting to see if there are any better offers first. All of this is not that hard to figure out, nor is it a sign that we have lost out on Dressler.

Hope you're right. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Iso, this is what you posted, a scant 2 days ago. It would be best to keep it in mind. It's media-driven. Everybody wants to get the story out first. That's their job. But until we hear the Bombers have inked him, or that we hear he's a Western Dressler, then we have to temper our angst, and wait for an official announcement.

Thanks, you've hit the nail on the head. 

Edited by iso_55

The Bombers have a 'firm' offer on the table rumoured to be $170K. We have no idea if it's the best offer or not. The other rumoured team in the running is Calgary who have the advantage of very likely being in the playoffs and making a run which equals more money for Dressler. We don't know what their 'offer' is or if it's actually in a contract or just verbal at this point.

Dressler's going to take a huge drop in pay no matter who he signs with. $170K CAD is approx equal to $120K US which is just over half of what he was making. There's no downside to him waiting to see if anyone else wants to bid for his services. I doubt either Wpg or Cgy will drop out and there may be other interested teams who didn't think they could get him at around the $170K mark.

On 22/01/2016 at 4:02 PM, wookie said:

u are saying wpg is the only team to over pay, i am guessing u mean in 2016, because the riders were the team in 2015

if i am not mistaken we are the only team to offer hot food before and after practice in the cfl, cal offered 

Cereal and milk and hamburgers and hotdogs, not even close to what the bomber players get now

I don't know if they are the only team but I do know that since IGF was built they have after game meals. Training camp is a a fully catered affair. I also know that the design is bad for the kitchen and access from kitchen to boxes. I would have thought that would have been an important design consideration as boxes are real money makers.

On 22/01/2016 at 4:02 PM, wookie said:

u are saying wpg is the only team to over pay, i am guessing u mean in 2016, because the riders were the team in 2015

if i am not mistaken we are the only team to offer hot food before and after practice in the cfl, cal offered 

Cereal and milk and hamburgers and hotdogs, not even close to what the bomber players get now

it might take tacos stuffed with lobster to get this deal done

2 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

I don't know if they are the only team but I do know that since IGF was built they have after game meals. Training camp is a a fully catered affair. I also know that the design is bad for the kitchen and access from kitchen to boxes. I would have thought that would have been an important design consideration as boxes are real money makers.

Not sure how that could be? The kitchen is literally right in the middle of the boxes. It couldn't possibly be placed any better for them in my estimation. I have frequented the odd game in the boxes and the food service was excellent.

9 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Not sure how that could be? The kitchen is literally right in the middle of the boxes. It couldn't possibly be placed any better for them in my estimation. I have frequented the odd game in the boxes and the food service was excellent.

Except that that location is not the kitchen, just a staging area for the food before it goes to the suites.

Food service in the suites is a major cluster F. Orders for the Grey Cup had to be in 3 weeks in advance and still not delivered to well in to second quarter. Everything that this food service company screws up in the stands they do it in the suites but the price is 3 times higher.

9 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

The issue is getting from the kitchen (west side) to the east side suite level which has more suites than the west side.   

They've got the system down pretty solid now, it's just not just very convenient for the staff who have to wheel the food storage boxes across the busy concourse during games. 

3 hours ago, pigseye said:

Well you can't force a guy to sign, but this is becoming all too common place for the Bombers. If Dressler goes elsewhere it's time for Wade to address what the F the problem is and why they can't land upper echelon players.

So do you think Taman did it right when he signed Dressler at $240K and should therefore be considered a logical replacement for Walters if he fails to land each/every free agent deemed upper echelon? I can't agree with that.

24 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Except that that location is not the kitchen, just a staging area for the food before it goes to the suites.

Food service in the suites is a major cluster F. Orders for the Grey Cup had to be in 3 weeks in advance and still not delivered to well in to second quarter. Everything that this food service company screws up in the stands they do it in the suites but the price is 3 times higher.

It's not still Ritz Foods, is it?

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

4 hours ago, pigseye said:

Is it?  Who else did we miss out on?

There's salary, city, and team.  We can compete on salary.  City?  Well, Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto will naturally have the edge.  Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa are probably more appealing to the outsider as well.  As for the team?  We've missed the playoffs 6 of the last 7 years.

Doesn't take a PhD to figure out why players with options might be reluctant to sign here.

http://leaderpost.com/sports/football/weston-dressler-thanks-the-fans-in-his-first-interview-since-being-released-by-the-saskatchewan-roughriders

Dressler acknowledged Monday morning, during his first interview since the dissolution of contractual ties with the Roughriders, that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are among the teams that have expressed an interest.

“I’m not going to get into too many details,” Dressler said following an intensive workout at the Dan Farthing-owned Level 10 Performance Compound. “I will say that I’ve talked quite a bit with Winnipeg and that is a possibility that I end up out there, but there’s still some more information that I need to gather and take a look at yet.”

Edited by IC Khari

42 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

I wonder what the info. is that Dress needs....I'm going to use the 'friendly' handle for him as it appears we definitely have our foot in the door with this signing, as opposed to a foot in our mouth...Sounds like a contract could get done very soon,as long as the information he needs is forthcoming.......signed cautiously optimistic.

Edited by Stickem
spelling error