Bombers interested in Jasper Simmons, UPDATE: Signed to PR

gbill2004

You seriously think we're better off playing Sherman at safety than we are playing Bucknor on the corner?

If Leggett would be so great as a dime back (which, from looking at the depth chart, is what they call Randle's position) then why have we always lined him up at safety instead of at DB?

Leggett was a Cornerback before he came here... I mean why did we think Randle would be any good at SAM - anyway, doesn't matter - I'm just saying I'd take a Cdn safety if it meant we had two lockdown cornerbacks.

Because we'd rather have a shut down SAM (dime back) than a shut down field corner that sees less action.

As much as I'd like to see Bucknor upgraded, our defence seems to be coming along rather nicely. They have been pretty solid the past few games and Simmons will, at worst, seem to upgrade our depth. If he is as awesome as he makes himself out to be, he could be a serious weapon.

I still see the real weak link of our defence as our DL. Westerman can't do it all himself and Bilikudi and Mulumba seem like they're sticking around the NFL a for another season.

You seriously think we're better off playing Sherman at safety than we are playing Bucknor on the corner?

If Leggett would be so great as a dime back (which, from looking at the depth chart, is what they call Randle's position) then why have we always lined him up at safety instead of at DB?

Leggett was a Cornerback before he came here... I mean why did we think Randle would be any good at SAM - anyway, doesn't matter - I'm just saying I'd take a Cdn safety if it meant we had two lockdown cornerbacks.

Because we'd rather have a shut down SAM (dime back) than a shut down field corner that sees less action.

As much as I'd like to see Bucknor upgraded, our defence seems to be coming along rather nicely. They have been pretty solid the past few games and Simmons will, at worst, seem to upgrade our depth. If he is as awesome as he makes himself out to be, he could be a serious weapon.

I still see the real weak link of our defence as our DL. Westerman can't do it all himself and Bilikudi and Mulumba seem like they're sticking around the NFL a for another season.

For sure Mulumba is sticking with the Packers. He has had a great camp thus far. However, Bilikudi is becoming more of a certainty to be cut day by day. By ALL media and NFL report sites he is having an awful camp and is projected to be a cut. Not sure if that would facilitate him ending up here this year, but his NFL career is almost certainly coming to a close.

Also, for the first time since he left, I am hearing some real noise in various media reports that Henoc may be in jeopardy of losing his spot (although they would almost certainly PR him).

Ian Wild is TCF. He will be available very soon to the highest bidder. I am wondering if that will be us or not. The signing of Simmons makes it seem unlikely.

So I'll admit I don't know the ins and outs of each linebacker spot, I see a lot of talk of maybe rotating him with the existing linebackers. For those with more knowledge than myself, what option makes more sense, either rotating him with the existing linebackers, or making him a starting linebacker, filling those three spots with bass/hurl/simmons, then put randle on the corner instead of bucknor. Leaves you starting 7 Canadians with Adams/Randle on the corners. In theory you'd still be fine in case of an injury as if someone in the secondary goes down you can play bucknor and if a linebacker goes down Randle can always shift back to linebacker with Bucknor coming in to play corner.

All the talk lately of teams picking on Bucknor just wondering if signing Simmons opens up the possibility of putting randle back on the corner

Randle's "linebacker" spot is essentially a 3rd HB mirroring the fact that on the majority of downs offenses play 3 SB's and 2 WR's.  Simmons and Bass don't really fit the profile of guys you want covering SB's all the time.

appreciate the information.  Growing up somewhere where playing football was never an option my only knowledge is what I've seen watching the game and reading on here, so I appreciate the game, but don't have the position by position knowledge of other sports I've played or coached where I understand what every player should be doing.

Randle as linebacker is a result of the evolution of CFL offences.  I blame Flutie/Calgary using 6 receiver sets back in the 90's.  Traditional linebackers got exposed as too slow to cover receivers, especially over the large expanse on the wide side.  Defences had to evolve to match that, and moving a larger safety type up into that spot - an Ike Charlton type - became the norm.  Now they don't even bother worrying about the size part.  Fast, able to cover and able to tackle are more important.  If a Messam type ends up running at Randle there will be a size mismatch, but any player big enough to handle that load while still fast enough to cover in the CFL won't be playing in the CFL.  He's got a job waiting for him down south.

People reminisce about having Jones, West and Battle playing together and wonder why we can't put a crew like that on the field, but I doubt that trio could succeed in the CFL now the way it has evolved.  None of them could do what Randle is doing.

As for Bucknor, I'd have to watch a game and count to be sure, but my recollection is that he isn't being targeted more than any other DB in our secondary.  Washington and Johnson see more passes in their areas than Bucknor, which makes sense because of their positions.  Bucknor has made some great tackles at times this year, defended well at times this year, got lucky at times this year, and got beat at times this year.  I've seen the same from all our DBs.

I don't understand why you want to waste Randle or Adams on the field corner where they can cover the Nate Coehoorns and Sam Gigueres of the league.

I don't understand why you want to turn a rangey playmaking safety into a HB/LB.

Leggett and Randle are the same size.

If Field was so easy, no one would be complaining about Bucknor.

Giguere plays boundary... so technically I'm 'wasting' Randle on the Tori Gurleys and Joe Wests of the league.

In fairness only really ignorant people are complaining about Bucknor...

Scorch! Pow!

Wanda_Dollard.jpg

fan poll cfl.ca biggest hitter

leader is Khalil Bass 46 % of 12000 votes.

It's better to be the hammer than the nail for a change. We've had so many soft players come through here in the past several years it's refreshing to get one that pounds opponents. I haven't liked a LBer this much in their rookie season since Joe Lobendahn.

It's better to be the hammer than the nail for a change. We've had so many soft players come through here in the past several years it's refreshing to get one that pounds opponents. I haven't liked a LBer this much in their rookie season since Joe Lobendahn.

Need more guys on this team who are willing to set the tone.  

you know what that poll proves... only Bomber and Rider fans are voting... I'm not sure what's more laughable... Elimimian and Bighill combining for only 7% of the vote or Brackenridge getting 37% of votes.... 

I liked Ian Wild in his rookie season more. Maybe not the big hitter, but dude was all over the field making tackles. Just had a nose for the ball carrier. 

People reminisce about having Jones, West and Battle playing together and wonder why we can't put a crew like that on the field, but I doubt that trio could succeed in the CFL now the way it has evolved. None of them could do what Randle is doing.

From what i recall, Jones wasn't really a true LB. He was a edge pass rusher 90% of the time, lining up wide off the tackle usually very close to the LOS. Watching Odell play in Tim Burke's 'jack' position reminded me of how Jones lined up.

I think we could use that trio nowadays -- West at mac, Battle at wil, Jones at DE. But yeah, they'd have to bring Rod Hill or Ken Hailey along to play SAM/dime.

(It'd be interesting to see how Jones would fare in today's option-happy CFL. Because the man was about one thing--destroying quarterbacks.)

WINNIPEG, MB., August 20, 2015 –  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has added international linebacker Jasper Simmons to the practice roster. Simmons was most recently with Calgary, playing in four games this season.

Simmons  (6-1, 225, Missouri, August 20, 1989, in Pensacola, Florida) has played in 26 career CFL games, starting 16. He was Ottawa's nominee for two CFL awards in 2014 - Most Outstanding Player and Most Outstanding Defensive Player. Simmons finished the 2014 season with a team-leading 80 defensive tackles (4th in the CFL), three interceptions, and one forced fumble. He also tallied seven special teams tackles.

A four-year CFL veteran, Simmons began his career with Toronto in 2012.

People reminisce about having Jones, West and Battle playing together and wonder why we can't put a crew like that on the field, but I doubt that trio could succeed in the CFL now the way it has evolved. None of them could do what Randle is doing.

From what i recall, Jones wasn't really a true LB. He was a edge pass rusher 90% of the time, lining up wide off the tackle usually very close to the LOS. Watching Odell play in Tim Burke's 'jack' position reminded me of how Jones lined up.

I think we could use that trio nowadays -- West at mac, Battle at wil, Jones at DE. But yeah, they'd have to bring Rod Hill or Ken Hailey along to play SAM/dime.

(It'd be interesting to see how Jones would fare in today's option-happy CFL. Because the man was about one thing--destroying quarterbacks.)

Given his age, I'm guessing that things would not go too well.

Given his age, I'm guessing that things would not go too well.

Given his death. I know things aren't going well.

The development of Randle at SAM has come to a point where there really is no one else on the team I would rather have at that position. I wouldn't be moving him out of there unless I had no other choice (injury). Simmons addition to the depth chart shouldn't affect Randle at all given a healthy back eight.

No kidding... the guys been our best player there since we've used that spot as a cover linebacker!

Not only can he cover anyone in the league... but he can really punish guys and stuff the run when needed.

He's entering elite territory IMO as far as talented SAM Linebackers go in the CFL.

I agree the real weakness is the DL. If we were to land Bilukidi then trading Hurl for a dominant DE and a pick becomes a lot easier to accept. Then Simmons and Bass can tear up the league together.(which if we ever get them together on the same unit consistantly, is exactly what they would do)