Bombers interested in Jasper Simmons, UPDATE: Signed to PR

gbill2004

@SUNMitchell: The problem with trying to trade Jasper Simmons is there isn't much of a market for import linebackers. Even BC has depth they like. #CFL

@garrettbillan1: @SUNMitchell I'd like to see the Bombers move Hurl into a role player instead of starting. Move Bass to MLB and trade for Simmons.

@garrettbillan1: @SUNMitchell Would Huff do Greaves/Neufeld for Simmons and a 1st or 2nd rounder?

@SUNMitchell: @garrettbillan1 Funny you ask because the two teams I heard connected were Bombers and Riders.

@SUNMitchell: @garrettbillan1 I doubt they'd give up a high pick like that. They're looking for OL depth for sure though.

@garrettbillan1: @SUNMitchell have u heard what the Bombers might be offering?

@SUNMitchell: @garrettbillan1 Don't know if it even got to the point of an offer. Yet.

People might want to update their view on Hurl.

I agree he has improved from terrible to adequate. Still room for improvement at the position though. I see him as not as good as Henoc, but better than Labbe...somewhere in the middle of those two.

He's playing quite well actually right now (in fact, our defense as a whole has improved too). I feel fairly confident that the only real reason people want to replace him is because they decided on his career fate early on this season and refuse to consider otherwise. He's a Canadian linebacker who's played very well in the middle of a defense that has struggled to find consistent DL pressure. Punishing him for not playing like Henoc Muamba (who ironically, people hated too early on) is as fair as punishing Robert Marve for not playing like Khari Jones. 

Not sure I want to mess with our D the way it's been playing lately.  Who backs up Bass if he gets hurt?  Waggoner?  If Bass went down Simmons would be great to have on the weak side or take over for Hurl and Waggoner plays the WIL.  I get the impression Simmons only wants to start, and fair enough.  The Riders might be a better fit, they could certainly use the help on D.  The only way I would like a trade for Simmons is if we could snag a high pick from Calgary (1st or 2nd) and that would mean losing a starting Nat OL.  Not that Greaves and Neufeld have played well but losing either one would mean Goossen starts and/or we bring in an Int OL to play the interior.  Which may be a good thing for us.  Would they take Picard?  :D

I was critical of Hurl early on, but think he's played significantly better as of late. I think a big part of his poor play was scheme and how he's actually used. The whole D has played better all around lately.

I think I would rather put an international at receiver or DB before doing it with Hurl. Our offense needs more hell so I'd lean more to receiver.

I was critical of Hurl early on, but think he's played significantly better as of late. I think a big part of his poor play was scheme and how he's actually used. The whole D has played better all around lately.

I think I would rather put an international at receiver or DB before doing it with Hurl. Our offense needs more hell so I'd lean more to receiver.

He isn't an international but maybe we could sign this guy.  Light a fire under the offence's butts.....(little nsfw)   :D

I don't see Simmons being a player that we shouldn't be able to recruit equally as well for. However, if we were to trade for Simmons, I wouldn't give up more than a neg list prospect for him. He will be released soon and is in the final year of his contract.

The Hurl thing again?

The last 4 games I've seen live I've kept an eye on him to see what he's doing wrong, and as far as I can tell it's being called a middle linebacker.  People need to stop pretending this is a Greg Marshall defence.  It isn't, and Hurl isn't playing the role of Barrin Simpson.  There was a play on Friday where he ended up lining up on the outside hip of the cornerback.  He's often ten yards off the line of scrimmage and over the tackle.  He can be found in locations like that more often than three yards back and over center.

This is where Hall is putting him and how he's using him.  Call him a rover if it makes it easier to accept.  If he whiffs on a tackle then he whiffs on a tackle, but most of the griping seems to be about how he is failing to excel at being the next Muamba, and from what I've seen that is not his assignment in this defence.  Run thru the A gap and destroy what's in front of you isn't what they're asking him to do.

People might want to update their view on Hurl.

I agree he has improved from terrible to adequate. Still room for improvement at the position though. I see him as not as good as Henoc, but better than Labbe...somewhere in the middle of those two.

Better than Labbe but worse than Henoc is quite a range.

To be honest, I have never heard of Simmons until today. Is he that good that he can help our D?

Our D appears to be coming along quite nicely. I can see them acheiving some very dominant performances THIS year. Potentially, Westerman (Defensive) and Johnny Adams (Rookie) are two players that could possibly be Western Candidates in the Player Awards.