[MERGED] Drew Willy Watch And Fine Discussion

He didn't have a concussion tho

Sweet!  Bring on Noel Thorpe's blitz machine!!!  I'm sure MB will have a gameplan to keep Willy upright

So...lets sit Willy all season.  Because if the doctors and him and the tests all say he's fine but you think he's not because they might all be wrong, when might he be allowed to go back in?  So sit him all season.  If Brohm gets sacked, sit him all season too.  If anyone is tackled hard at all, sit them.  This is why there is a protocol and a medical staff so uninformed fans on the internet can pretend they know a lot more than they do.

14 days seems like a nice middle ground. Honestly I would like to go 30 days but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Maybe 8 days is enough. But the point is that no one knows. Not even doctors. Every case is different and concussions and post concussion syndrome are not black-and-white diagnoses.

By doing it my way, you risk a guy sitting on the bench for a week or two while healthy. By pushing the limits and bringing a guy back as soon as he appears symptom free, you risk a guy getting a serious brain injury. To me it is an easy decision.

14 days seems like a nice middle ground. Honestly I would like to go 30 days but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Maybe 8 days is enough. But the point is that no one knows. Not even doctors. Every case is different and concussions and post concussion syndrome are not black-and-white diagnoses.

By doing it my way, you risk a guy sitting on the bench for a week or two while healthy. By pushing the limits and bringing a guy back as soon as he appears symptom free, you risk a guy getting a serious brain injury. To me it is an easy decision.

No one knows.  If only there was a profession of experts who spent years studying a specific field...lets call it "medicine" and were then able to be hired to provide their expert opinions to people so that we no longer went through life "unknowing".

I get what you're saying.  But there is nothing to believe that Willy passed ALL testing, has ZERO symptoms or effects and should still sit out.  Why 14 days?  Why 8?  Why 30?  Why not a year?  Since this isnt based on any scientific decisions.  If he goes through practice with no symptoms, he's good to go. 

'If he goes through practice with no symptoms, he's good to go.'  What a joke.  Sound like Tim Burke now.

A second concussion while still feeling the effects, even mild, is what the real concern is.  We do know that is serious.

Concussion diagnosis really relies on self-reporting unless its clearly a severe case.  I had one and still worked as primary wilderness first aider at the scene and symptoms did fully not materialize until 12 hours later.  Didn't realize I had been knocked out until other witnesses at the scene told me.

If Willy wants to hide a mild concussion, he can easily do it.

Anyway, hope we win but I'd err on the side of caution.  Especially after Buck... 

Well, that injury did happen very early in the game, I know everyone is a doctor lol and all this stuff but judging from my own past experiences with head injuries (i've had 4 concussions through the years now) Sometimes the ones that you think are guaranteed to do damage, they don't.

The fact that it happened early in the game, who knows.. head injuries are very interesting things. Sometimes like i said the ones you think are gonna do the most damage don't at all...

It's odd actually. TSN was speculating hardcore and i wish they wouldn't do that, he's gonna be out 3 4 weeks they said on the panel. Kind of makes them look like big time morons. Who knows, maybe Willy didn't even get a concussion, maybe he was just knocked out for a bit.

If you've been knocked out .. you've suffered a concussion.

That's not true. A concussion is a very specific injury and there's a lot of misinformation out there.

You also don't have to be knocked out to suffer one.

I've been in sessions done by the Dr. who works with the NHL on concussion research. He also said you heal almost instantly, the actual injury that is. You may suffer some lasting effects however. Everyone is different.

He said the most dangerous aspect is taking a second hit shortly after. As in the same day. You can recover quite quickly from one.

If you have been knocked out .. you have suffered a concussion.  Full stop.   Here's the actual medical definition for you:

"The formal medical definition of concussion is a clinical syndrome characterized by immediate and transient alteration in brain function, including alteration of mental status and level of consciousness, resulting from mechanical force or trauma."

Simply put, a concussion IS a traumatic brain injury.  It's not more specific than that.  There are a host of accompanying symptoms and those resulting symptoms can manifest themselves differently in each individual but I'd suggest that being knocked out is an "alteration of mental status and level of consciousness".  ;-)

No one knows. If only there was a profession of experts who spent years studying a specific field...lets call it "medicine" and were then able to be hired to provide their expert opinions to people so that we no longer went through life "unknowing".

I get what you're saying. But there is nothing to believe that Willy passed ALL testing, has ZERO symptoms or effects and should still sit out. Why 14 days? Why 8? Why 30? Why not a year? Since this isnt based on any scientific decisions. If he goes through practice with no symptoms, he's good to go.

Medicine isn't a static field. They don't know everything, not yet. There are still debates in the medical field regarding concussions and the treatment of concussions. However one thing they all agree upon is this: You can be symptom free and still be concussed.

Yeah you're right, 8, 14, 30 days, it's all arbitrary amounts of time. Totally. But it gives a buffer zone, just in case. I think that's the way we are eventually going to go, too, where the league mandates the use of such a buffer zone.

I will be shocked if he plays. Coaches love to blow smoke and not give any indication as to who will play especially at the QB spot. Loss of consciousness is in fact not necessarily an indicator of whether someone has sustained a concussion or not. But he was completely motionless when he was initially being attended to. He fell to the field with his arms limp and his elbows flexed another classic sign of being unconscious.

There is no defined timeline for return to activity. There is a battery of tests players go thru prior to the start of the season. These then serve as a baseline for the player. The tests are then repeated after a player has sustained a head injury. The player must be completely symptom free, after which he then must be symptom free following exertion. The player is also seen by an independent neurophysiologist specifically trained in the field of head injuries. There is one in Winnipeg that both the Bombers and the Jets.

Coaches can say all they want be in smoke or regarding a players "toughness" but this will be purely and completely a medical decision.

I really hope we win this week, I couldn't bear another week of this negative, defeatist garbage ...

I actually find coming on the forums during lousy seasons makes it more tolerable. Even watching the chat during games, the amount of bitching, whining and just terrible attitudes usually makes me feel like bomber fans don't deserve a win, even if it's the same handful of people every week, they do a great job of making me not care that the bombers lost.

Nobody is blowing smoke up people's asses but it seems we got lots of doctors in here assuming he had a concussion when it's pretty obvious he didn't. Reality is if he had a concussion he wouldn't be practicing. Who knows what the injury was really but he passed all the actual doctor tests.

Nobody is blowing smoke up people's asses but it seems we got lots of doctors in here assuming he had a concussion when it's pretty obvious he didn't. Reality is if he had a concussion he wouldn't be practicing. Who knows what the injury was really but he passed all the actual doctor tests.

Willy states that he was not unconscious at any point, he has total recall and in the interview, his affect is normal and his speech is linear, so he looks OK. Whether anything else will pop up during the week is anyone's guess, as is the decision as to if he will start or play next game. No doubt there will an abundance of caution.

has anyone here had a concussion or multiple concussions? I have had 1 major hospitalization requiring one and 3 minor ones. After my major concussion I was clueless, big blank patches of memory and essentially an invalid for 2 days followed by extreme light sensitivity and nauseous ness for 2 weeks. After each minor one I had ringing in the ears, headaches and balance problems for about a week or two..

I'm pretty positive if Willy was suffering from either set of effects he would mention it or staff would have noticed it.. All these arm chair neurologists need to lighten up and stop assuming the team or the players are willing to risk their lives to play a game.

has anyone here had a concussion or multiple concussions? I have had 1 major hospitalization requiring one and 3 minor ones. After my major concussion I was clueless, big blank patches of memory and essentially an invalid for 2 days followed by extreme light sensitivity and nauseous ness for 2 weeks. After each minor one I had ringing in the ears, headaches and balance problems for about a week or two..

I'm pretty positive if Willy was suffering from either set of effects he would mention it or staff would have noticed it.. All these arm chair neurologists need to lighten up and stop assuming the team or the players are willing to risk their lives to play a game.

So how long until you get better Spuds?  :D

I really hope we win this week, I couldn't bear another week of this negative, defeatist garbage ...

I actually find coming on the forums during lousy seasons makes it more tolerable. Even watching the chat during games, the amount of bitching, whining and just terrible attitudes usually makes me feel like bomber fans don't deserve a win, even if it's the same handful of people every week, they do a great job of making me not care that the bombers lost.
Yea I know what you mean we should all gather here in the forums after a loss and sing praise of hope and joy throw in a few kumbyas to boot. Just to be worthy of a bomber winning season.

Yea I know what you mean we should all gather here in the forums after a loss and sing praise of hope and joy throw in a few kumbyas to boot. Just to be worthy of a bomber winning season.

Nobody is saying that - what they're saying is that there are a handful of people around here with their post counts on the lower side who must be under the impression we shut this website down for a week after a win.

Post counts naturally go up when we lose because people need to vent their frustration after a bad week..  The 'O'Shea brigade' wants to point out the good things that happened, the few plays that 'if they just went the other way' would have led us to victory and the usual complaints about the reffing.  They don't want any 'negative' posting and they go out of their way to argue with folks who see the dark side of the loss.  There are some 'Fire everybody' posts after particularly bad games and lots of discussion about what went wrong and if we can fix it.  

When we win, everyone is pretty darned happy. Most folks just post how great we were.  The 'O'Shea brigade' have very few people to argue with and the analysis of what went wrong is significantly less than when we lose because it doesn't matter as much.

The newbies around here will notice the trend if they stay around long enough.  For me, the more fans there are around here, the better, even those who don't seem to know that much about football.