[MERGED] Drew Willy Watch And Fine Discussion

I'm 100% fine with discussing losses. What pisses me off, is the constant fire everyone threads or the insulting titles that pop up. Those just make the poster look immature and I instantly put a * next to everything they say.

Trashing a team (even your team) can be done without looking like an A-hole.

I've been on the dump MB wagon for the last 2 years. But when he game plans well, I mention it. When he doesn't I secretly hope that he gets tossed, but I understand thats just not the way it works at this time of year. So I point out what I thought was wrong and move on.

Well, that injury did happen very early in the game, I know everyone is a doctor lol and all this stuff but judging from my own past experiences with head injuries (i've had 4 concussions through the years now) Sometimes the ones that you think are guaranteed to do damage, they don't.

The fact that it happened early in the game, who knows.. head injuries are very interesting things. Sometimes like i said the ones you think are gonna do the most damage don't at all...

It's odd actually. TSN was speculating hardcore and i wish they wouldn't do that, he's gonna be out 3 4 weeks they said on the panel. Kind of makes them look like big time morons. Who knows, maybe Willy didn't even get a concussion, maybe he was just knocked out for a bit.

If you've been knocked out .. you've suffered a concussion.

That's not true. A concussion is a very specific injury and there's a lot of misinformation out there.

You also don't have to be knocked out to suffer one.

I've been in sessions done by the Dr. who works with the NHL on concussion research. He also said you heal almost instantly, the actual injury that is. You may suffer some lasting effects however. Everyone is different.

He said the most dangerous aspect is taking a second hit shortly after. As in the same day. You can recover quite quickly from one.

If you have been knocked out .. you have suffered a concussion.  Full stop.   Here's the actual medical definition for you:

"The formal medical definition of concussion is a clinical syndrome characterized by immediate and transient alteration in brain function, including alteration of mental status and level of consciousness, resulting from mechanical force or trauma."

Simply put, a concussion IS a traumatic brain injury.  It's not more specific than that.  There are a host of accompanying symptoms and those resulting symptoms can manifest themselves differently in each individual but I'd suggest that being knocked out is an "alteration of mental status and level of consciousness".  ;-)

I would agree with you if the knockout came as a result of his brain being rattled causing him to go unconscious. However, as a martial artist, I can tell you that there are several areas on the human body that can be struck causing a loss of consciousness that does not result in a concussion, just simply stops the blood flow to the brain temporarily. They are called pressure points and can cause a loss of consciousness and even temporary paralysis. From what I saw of the hit it sure looked like a pressure point loss of blood flow could have occurred. Two spots that render a person unconscious without causing a concussion are the side of the neck (carotid artery) and the point of the chin which also disrupts blood flow from the carotid to the brain and can cause unconsciousness (along with several other pressure points along the human body) that are not concussion related.

Have you ever seen a boxer knocked out by a body punch? Happens all the time. Think he suffered a concussion? If so, I am not sure you understand the medical terminology you are reading. Being rendered unconscious is just a common symptom of a concussion, it does not create the concussion. Your brain being slammed into your skull is what causes a concussion.

In my martial arts training, I have seen several people knocked unconscious by very slight pinpoint blows to the side of the neck. Sometime just a jab of a thumb from an inch away. They were not concussed. Knocked out....yeah...concussed...nope. Just a temporary disruption of blood flow and it's sleepy time.

What immediately had me encouraged when I saw Willy was that he was holding his neck and so were the trainers. Further reports of an injured jaw also left me encouraged. Sure looked like a pressure point KO to me afterwards.

Well, that injury did happen very early in the game, I know everyone is a doctor lol and all this stuff but judging from my own past experiences with head injuries (i've had 4 concussions through the years now) Sometimes the ones that you think are guaranteed to do damage, they don't.

The fact that it happened early in the game, who knows.. head injuries are very interesting things. Sometimes like i said the ones you think are gonna do the most damage don't at all...

It's odd actually. TSN was speculating hardcore and i wish they wouldn't do that, he's gonna be out 3 4 weeks they said on the panel. Kind of makes them look like big time morons. Who knows, maybe Willy didn't even get a concussion, maybe he was just knocked out for a bit.

That's not true. A concussion is a very specific injury and there's a lot of misinformation out there.

I've been in sessions done by the Dr. who works with the NHL on concussion research. He also said you heal almost instantly, the actual injury that is. You may suffer some lasting effects however. Everyone is different.

He said the most dangerous aspect is taking a second hit shortly after. As in the same day. You can recover quite quickly from one.

If you have been knocked out .. you have suffered a concussion.  Full stop.   Here's the actual medical definition for you:

"The formal medical definition of concussion is a clinical syndrome characterized by immediate and transient alteration in brain function, including alteration of mental status and level of consciousness, resulting from mechanical force or trauma."

Simply put, a concussion IS a traumatic brain injury.  It's not more specific than that.  There are a host of accompanying symptoms and those resulting symptoms can manifest themselves differently in each individual but I'd suggest that being knocked out is an "alteration of mental status and level of consciousness".  ;-)

I would agree with you if the knockout came as a result of his brain being rattled causing him to go unconscious. However, as a martial artist, I can tell you that there are several areas on the human body that can be struck causing a loss of consciousness that does not result in a concussion, just simply stops the blood flow to the brain temporarily. They are called pressure points and can cause a loss of consciousness and even temporary paralysis. From what I saw of the hit it sure looked like a pressure point loss of blood flow could have occurred. Two spots that render a person unconscious without causing a concussion are the side of the neck (carotid artery) and the point of the chin which also disrupts blood flow from the carotid to the brain and can cause unconsciousness (along with several other pressure points along the human body) that are not concussion related.

Have you ever seen a boxer knocked out by a body punch? Happens all the time. Think he suffered a concussion? If so, I am not sure you understand the medical terminology you are reading. Being rendered unconscious is just a common symptom of a concussion, it does not create the concussion. Your brain being slammed into your skull is what causes a concussion.

In my martial arts training, I have seen several people knocked unconscious by very slight pinpoint blows to the side of the neck. Sometime just a jab of a thumb from an inch away. They were not concussed. Knocked out....yeah...concussed...nope. Just a temporary disruption of blood flow and it's sleepy time.

I'm 100% fine with discussing losses. What pisses me off, is the constant fire everyone threads or the insulting titles that pop up. Those just make the poster look immature and I instantly put a * next to everything they say.

Trashing a team (even your team) can be done without looking like an A-hole.

I've been on the dump MB wagon for the last 2 years. But when he game plans well, I mention it. When he doesn't I secretly hope that he gets tossed, but I understand thats just not the way it works at this time of year. So I point out what I thought was wrong and move on.

Agreed here Bigblue - this is the CFL. In one week, your team can look absolutely pathetic, next week could look like this years Grey Cup champs. 

A new defense takes awhile to learn. What this team needs more than anything in consistency. If we fired coaches after a bad game, we'd have no coaches. 

As for Willy - good to see he has no lingering affects. SPuDS - thanks for the update on the concussions. I agree with you that if he did have one he wouldn't be playing. Also, sorry to hear about your circumstance. Knock on wood I've never had one and hope to never have one as it's certainly no picnic. Not very much you can do when you are suffering from one. 

Interesting - and don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't agree with you or the fact I don't believe the bombers or Willy that he doesn't have one, but that hit looked a lot more like a brain slamming into the skull than a pressure point being struck.. just saying :)

Interesting - and don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't agree with you or the fact I don't believe the bombers or Willy that he doesn't have one, but that hit looked a lot more like a brain slamming into the skull than a pressure point being struck.. just saying :)

I am certainly not ruling that out. It was a violent blow. Just giving some other possibilities on how Willy could be cleared to play without advancing the notion that the Bombers or Willy are being wreckless or ignoring Willy's long term health.

Further to my above post, it should be pointed out, that being unconscious is an absolutely insignificant factor when judging the severity of a concussion. A lot of times a player rendered unconscious by a blow to the head can suffer the mildest form of concussion. While a person who does not lose consciousness (Matt Dunigan) can play an entire half of football and not remember it at all because he has suffered a severe concussion from what appeared to be a pretty benign hit.

This notion that he was unconscious therefore he had a bad concussion is for so many reasons completely inaccurate. The only indicator as to the severity of a concussion comes from the baseline testing and the presence and severity of the symptoms. Looking at the hit over and over again tells us absolutely nothing. Watching replays to see if his eyes are open tells us absolutely nothing. Completely irrelevant.

I think you are being incredibly obtuse and, to be honest, I'm not sure *YOU* know you know what you are arguing.   This particular point of discussion revolves around a "blow to the head" (TBI – resulting from mechanical force / trauma) .. not pressure points, body shots, roofies, taking a nap or other means of rendering someone unconscious.  So while a shot to the body might result in a “knockout” .. a kidney blow isn’t going to result in a TBI.  So I stand by what I’ve said: if you’ve been knocked out – got your brain bounced around resulting in a loss of consciousness – you’ve suffered a concussion.  Period.  Full stop.  End of story.

Context is your friend.  Learn to make use of it.  

Heh, though with the lack of pressure we've generated up front .. maybe our DL should get more familiar with pressure points?   :)

I think you are being incredibly obtuse and, to be honest, I'm not sure *YOU* know you know what you are arguing.   This particular point of discussion revolves around a "blow to the head" (TBI – resulting from mechanical force / trauma) .. not pressure points, body shots, roofies, taking a nap or other means of rendering someone unconscious.  So while a shot to the body might result in a “knockout” .. a kidney blow isn’t going to result in a TBI.  So I stand by what I’ve said: if you’ve been knocked out – got your brain bounced around resulting in a loss of consciousness – you’ve suffered a concussion.  Period.  Full stop.  End of story.

I am not the one who tried to advance the argument that because he was unconscious he was concussed. The two are not exclusive to each other and I have told you why. I was not being obtuse, just objecting and countering a statement that was not correct. If you don't like that, don't make hasty generalizations like the one you were making. You may have meant when a person suffers a blow to the head, but that is not what you said. You are trying to frame your context after the fact, perhaps next time start with it. You stated that if a person is knocked unconscious they have suffered a concussion. FULL STOP. It is entirely possible that he was knocked out due to a disruption in blood flow from the carotid artery and therefore did not suffer a concussion. A whipping motion to the neck or chin can do that without being a concussion. Those are facts. If you don't like them that's your problem not mine.

You are making the awfully big assumption that he suffered brain trauma from the hit because he was unconscious. That, as I have pointed out may not have been the case.  That's not being obtuse, that's understanding that there is more than one way to be rendered unconscious from that type of blow without being concussed.

At the end of the day, it seems my version may very well be the correct one, as Willy will play.

I am not the one who tried to advance the argument that because he was unconscious he was concussed. The two are not exclusive to each other and I have told you why. I was not being obtuse, just objecting and countering a statement born of ignorance. If you don't like that, don't make hasty generalizations like the one you were making. You are trying to frame your context after the fact, perhaps next time start with it. It is entirely possible that he was knocked out due to a disruption in blood flow from the carotid artery and therefore did not suffer a concussion. A whipping motion to the neck or chin can do that without being a concussion. Those are facts. If you don't like them that's your problem not mine.

You are making the awfully big assumption that he suffered brain trauma from the hit because he was unconscious. That, as I have pointed out may not have been the case.  That's not being obtuse, that's understanding that there is more than one way to be rendered unconscious from that type of blow without being concussed.

At the end of the day, it seems my version may very well be the correct one, as Willy will play.

I'm not trying to frame the context in any way, shape or form.  This conversation began as a discussion on "head injuries".  That you missed the implied context is on you .. not me.  

Drew Willy is chucking darts, and the #Bombers are a heathy group throughout the entire roster. Only those on 6-game not practicing today.

No excuses this week. I hope they get their protection issues sorted out because Hamilton laid a bit of a blueprint on how to attack this offense. And I don't expect the Als are going to respect this team, the offense or the offensive line until the Bombers demonstrate they can handle extra pressure.

It would appear that Tracy was indeed fined for his hit on Willy.

http://cfl.ca/article/best-and-tracy-fined-for-week-2-incidents

"Tracy had a responsibility to avoid lowering his head and hitting his opponent with it. Leading with your head,and using it as the main point of contact, is illegal. It is a dangerous and unnecessary maneuver that puts both the tackler and his opponent at serious risk of injury. It is standard we must uphold as we strive to protect player health and safety.”

Glen Johnson, Vice-President of Officiating, added: “ Player safety is an important priority and there should have been a penalty on the play for unnecessary roughness.”

I hereby stand corrected.

“There has been significant interest in this play as it resulted in an injury to Winnipeg Blue Bomber quarterback Drew Willy, which forced him out of the game. As Adrian Tracy was closing in to hit Willy, the quarterback was already in the process of being tackled by another Tiger-Cat, which changed Willy’s body position and put his head in Tracy’s path. However, Tracy had a responsibility to avoid lowering his head and hitting his opponent with it. Leading with your head,and using it as the main point of contact, is illegal. It is a dangerous and unnecessary maneuver that puts both the tackler and his opponent at serious risk of injury. It is standard we must uphold as we strive to protect player health and safety.”

I think the above really illustrates what a lot of people were saying about this hit .. glad that the league is taking an appropriate stance on this and offering the explanation they did.