[MERGED] Drew Willy Watch And Fine Discussion

It would appear that Tracy was indeed fined for his hit on Willy.

http://cfl.ca/article/best-and-tracy-fined-for-week-2-incidents

"Tracy had a responsibility to avoid lowering his head and hitting his opponent with it. Leading with your head,and using it as the main point of contact, is illegal. It is a dangerous and unnecessary maneuver that puts both the tackler and his opponent at serious risk of injury. It is standard we must uphold as we strive to protect player health and safety.”

Glen Johnson, Vice-President of Officiating, added: “ Player safety is an important priority and there should have been a penalty on the play for unnecessary roughness.”

I hereby stand corrected.

Bravo.

Referring to the play that Demski stepped out in the end-zone, O'Shea said that it should have been a safety and that the league had confirmed this.  Unfortunately there is no current mechanism in place to have that play challenged.  He also said that in 500 games played no league official could recall a play of that nature happening before.

Referring to the play that Demski stepped out in the end-zone, O'Shea said that it should have been a safety and that the league had confirmed this.  Unfortunately there is no current mechanism in place to have that play challenged.  He also said that in 500 games played no league official could recall a play of that nature happening before.

ok well....there you go. It would have sucked if we had lost the game by 1 point, and that missed call had been the difference. As it stands, it didn't affect the eventual outcome so I'm not as angry.

All i will say about concussions is if everytime you get knocked out you get a concussion (which is so not true), then UFC should be out of business since the whole point of UFC is to either 1. knock out your opponent or 2. tap him out

I've had concussions and the first one i had was by far the worst, had no idea what happened, no clue... hit the head on the concrete real good, i had no idea, threw up all over the hospital floor, all over... pretty bad concussion that honestly took a week maybe 2 to actually go away.. the others? 3 others, not as bad... but the funny thing about those ones, i wasn't knocked out, i just got knocked in the head, i remember the entire thing really.. one from hockey, got nailed in to the post one game, wasn't out, legit saw stars and yeah.. never thought anything of it until a day later... the other 2... seriously just from hitting my head in the wrong spot really.. one from falling off my chair lol, yup.. fell off and just landed on the wrong spot, felt pretty sick, to the ER.. concussion 3... the last one... just happened about 2 3 months ago.. hit the top of my head on my girlfriends shed... felt ok for about 2 hours but woke up at night with a very bad headache, said, this isn't a normal headache, went to the ER.. concussion. Wasn't knocked out for 3 of the 4 i had, only for the first one. 

Concussions are weird and is not the same for everybody.. each case needs to be evaluated i suppose on their own. 

Like i've said, what might give me a concussion might not give someone else one, vice versa too. Very odd, I've looked in to them, they aren't exactly as simple as being knocked out, cuz 3 of my concussions, i wasn't knocked out for, the first one i was. 

Silly analogy but i could take a baseball bat and hit person A in the head with it and he would be out cold and have a concussion, could take a baseball bat to person B and they could just laugh it off really.. Maybe baseball bat is a bit extreme but... everybody reacts differently. People can and I myself have, read about concussions online or whatever but.... it's different for everybody. It really is. 

The only thing i know for sure is once you get that first Concussion the second one comes a lot easier and the third and 4th and so on and so on. 

Good. Now can we speed this process up to about, oh, 2 seconds after the the very obvious illegal hit? You know, where and when the officials are supposed to be watching for this exact kind of things on QUARTERBACKS?

Baby steps Dee .. Baby steps.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that this sort of thing happens quite a bit to the Bombers. An incongruity occurs, seemingly often to the Bombers, a letter for explanation is sent in to the league, and is returned stating that we were right, and that whatever took place, shouldn't have taken place, and it's really too bad...blah, blah, blah. Sorry.

Trouble...Same old s(t)orry.

'If he goes through practice with no symptoms, he's good to go.'  What a joke.  Sound like Tim Burke now.

A second concussion while still feeling the effects, even mild, is what the real concern is.  We do know that is serious.

Concussion diagnosis really relies on self-reporting unless its clearly a severe case.  I had one and still worked as primary wilderness first aider at the scene and symptoms did fully not materialize until 12 hours later.  Didn't realize I had been knocked out until other witnesses at the scene told me.

If Willy wants to hide a mild concussion, he can easily do it.

Anyway, hope we win but I'd err on the side of caution.  Especially after Buck... 

They compare your tests to a baseline that is done before the season, or at least that is how other sports do it.  He cant hide it if he's feeling effects from a concussion.  And if he can hide things then that's his problem.  You could be right.  But if I had to bet on the expert medical staff versus you, Im going with them.  You dont hold out players because you think they are lying about an injury with ZERO evidence to make you think that.  To what end?  A guy is cleared after a shoulder injury but you hold him out because he might be lying?

Im as sensitive as anyone to concussions but this is overkill.  This is a sport where there is an inherent risk that players assume when they choose to play.  If ten or twenty years from now Willy suffers effects from injuries he suffers today, that is the risk he took.  All available medical care is presumably being taken.  You dont start guessing or using voodoo. 

I might understand how they could have missed the demski safety there but missing the flag on the QB is just ridiculous, the one refs job is to watch the QB the entire damn play really, how do you miss that when that is actually your job to do. 

I might understand how they could have missed the demski safety there but missing the flag on the QB is just ridiculous, the one refs job is to watch the QB the entire damn play really, how do you miss that when that is actually your job to do. 

if I recall, the ref was staring right at the QB and Willy clearly reacted to the hit to his face.  I'd say that the ref saw it and simply felt it wasnt a penalty because of the positioning of all involved. 

if I recall, the ref was staring right at the QB and Willy clearly reacted to the hit to his face.  I'd say that the ref saw it and simply felt it wasnt a penalty because of the positioning of all involved. 

That's not his decision to make.  Helmet to helmet = penalty.  Intent doesn't matter at all.

'If he goes through practice with no symptoms, he's good to go.'  What a joke.  Sound like Tim Burke now.

A second concussion while still feeling the effects, even mild, is what the real concern is.  We do know that is serious.

Concussion diagnosis really relies on self-reporting unless its clearly a severe case.  I had one and still worked as primary wilderness first aider at the scene and symptoms did fully not materialize until 12 hours later.  Didn't realize I had been knocked out until other witnesses at the scene told me.

If Willy wants to hide a mild concussion, he can easily do it.

Anyway, hope we win but I'd err on the side of caution.  Especially after Buck... 

They compare your tests to a baseline that is done before the season, or at least that is how other sports do it.  He cant hide it if he's feeling effects from a concussion.  And if he can hide things then that's his problem.  You could be right.  But if I had to bet on the expert medical staff versus you, Im going with them.  You dont hold out players because you think they are lying about an injury with ZERO evidence to make you think that.  To what end?  A guy is cleared after a shoulder injury but you hold him out because he might be lying?

Im as sensitive as anyone to concussions but this is overkill.  This is a sport where there is an inherent risk that players assume when they choose to play.  If ten or twenty years from now Willy suffers effects from injuries he suffers today, that is the risk he took.  All available medical care is presumably being taken.  You dont start guessing or using voodoo.

Leave me out of this.  :P

That's not his decision to make.  Helmet to helmet = penalty.  Intent doesn't matter at all.

Oh I agree.  I just think thats why no one threw a flag.  They were flat wrong.  But I dont think they "missed it" it as much as they didnt know they should call it.

I find it amusing that the only penalty in the NHL that is called every time without discretion is the most innocuous of the bunch - flipping a puck over the glass.  Hack a guy in the ankle or crosscheck him in the back?  Might get you 5 and a game.  And a suspension.  Or nothing, cause it happens once or twice every shift.  Or the refs put away the whistle and "let the players decide the game".  But if that puck rolls up the blade and accidentally goes over the boards?  Off with his head.

Yes, I agree, that incident did not require any deliberation or interpretation from the referee.  It was a hard helmet to helmet blow.  There was no malice beyond the usual, trying to kill the QB on every play.  And the CFL has to fine him, simply because this is where they have chosen to draw the line, and have made a loud declaration that this is where they are drawing the line.

Truly embarrassing judgement, would love to have the ref. held accountable and explain his reasoning.  With all the officials on the field with their walky-talky microphonie things and the big "eye in the sky" you'd think someone would have had the wisdom to yell "throw the flag F-head!" even if it was 20 secs. after the play.  Covering ass is important in any profession.

I still remember the still photo of Alex Brink being hit in the chin by a Montreal helmet and being sent flying, while Murray Clarke just watches impassively and makes no move to throw a flag.

if I recall, the ref was staring right at the QB and Willy clearly reacted to the hit to his face. I'd say that the ref saw it and simply felt it wasnt a penalty because of the positioning of all involved.

I still remember the still photo of Alex Brink being hit in the chin by a Montreal helmet and being sent flying, while Murray Clarke just watches impassively and makes no move to throw a flag.

That's how I know refs are held accountable. Clarke has been demoted a couple of times.

The real question is why they kept promoting him.

Oh I agree.  I just think thats why no one threw a flag.  They were flat wrong.  But I dont think they "missed it" it as much as they didnt know they should call it.

I really hope you're wrong, because claiming ignorance to the rules is a lot worse than claiming you "missed" the call.

Refs are held accountable. Just not publicly.

I'm skeptical. Got an example? 

edit see you gave an example. That's one. maybe. being promoted after demoted doesn't sound like much punishment.

And If there are consequences to the refs, they should let us fans know, might reduce the anger that people feel when refs like this one blow it so badly, and as far as I know, there is no consequence. If there is, tell us.

Every body in football is subject to public criticism except the refs. 

Makes no sense to me. 

if I recall, the ref was staring right at the QB and Willy clearly reacted to the hit to his face. I'd say that the ref saw it and simply felt it wasnt a penalty because of the positioning of all involved.

That's how I know refs are held accountable. Clarke has been demoted a couple of times.

I'd settle for him being fitted with a dunce hat for the next televised game.

It would appear that Tracy was indeed fined for his hit on Willy.

http://cfl.ca/article/best-and-tracy-fined-for-week-2-incidents

"Tracy had a responsibility to avoid lowering his head and hitting his opponent with it. Leading with your head,and using it as the main point of contact, is illegal. It is a dangerous and unnecessary maneuver that puts both the tackler and his opponent at serious risk of injury. It is standard we must uphold as we strive to protect player health and safety.”

Glen Johnson, Vice-President of Officiating, added: “ Player safety is an important priority and there should have been a penalty on the play for unnecessary roughness.”

I hereby stand corrected.

Bravo.

I may have stood up and clapped upon reading this and wbbfanwest owning that he gambled wrong. Good on ya lad! Need more like this.

I'm guessing a distinct lack of refs., we haven't seen any new blood on the sidelines in how long? I realllllly think the CFL should look at options to bring some new guys to the table. NCAA, CIS, maybe even afl or NFL refs if need be. This grass roots grow from within concept seems flawed.

A few years back there was an official who was fired for that incredibly brutal PI call against Montreal in the end zone when it was Carr doing the interfering. Higgins made a stupid comment about football gods which got Bomber fans' noses out of joint even though everyone agreed it was a brutal call.

I still think it's absolute garbage that they'll send out a press release that a player or coach has been fined, even when it's an undisclosed amount for an undisclosed infraction but they won't do the same for a referee.

The level of immunity referees get in professional sports is atrocious. They're out there in the public eye doing a job, same as everyone else. If they suck at it and they blow a call, they shouldn't avoid the scrutiny and if that makes them quit - too damn bad. No room in the game for referees who think they're untouchable anyways.