[MERGED] Drew Willy Watch And Fine Discussion

I could see if he was standing up straight it being a penalty but he was twisted and his head was at hip level and he was already going to make a form tackle. If he was straight up and down still he would have hit him in the stomach to ribs, it sucks but  I see where the ref is coming..

If you're leading with your head it isn't a form tackle.  If he wrapped up around his head, I'd hate to see it called, but he led with his helmet and that needs to be penalized (both to discourage idiots from leading with their helmets for their own protection and for the players they are hitting with their helmets) and probably answered on the Bombers end.

I could see if he was standing up straight it being a penalty but he was twisted and his head was at hip level and he was already going to make a form tackle. If he was straight up and down still he would have hit him in the stomach to ribs, it sucks but  I see where the ref is coming..

If you're leading with your head it isn't a form tackle.  If he wrapped up around his head, I'd hate to see it called, but he led with his helmet and that needs to be penalized (both to discourage idiots from leading with their helmets for their own protection and for the players they are hitting with their helmets) and probably answered on the Bombers end.

Just a quick question, and I ask this because when I look at an A&P book the head is normally at the top of the body:  If you are aiming to hit your opponent in the midsection/hips area and you are running at full speed, how can you not lead with your head?  

Exactly! He led with his helmet, face mask down even. How that's not a penalty blows my mind in the day and age of protect the QBs.

Just a quick question, and I ask this because when I look at an A&P book the head is normally at the top of the body:  If you are aiming to hit your opponent in the midsection/hips area and you are running at full speed, how can you not lead with your head?

Never learned how to tackle I'm guessing? Go watch some rugby. They will show you how to tackle without leading with your helmet.

Your body isn't static heading into a tackle.  Google form tackling.  A tackle is a stick and a wrap, not launching your helmet into somebody.  Upper body should make first contact and the rest follows through with the arms wrapping.  Head should be back and turned.  Obviously there will be contact with helmets but it shouldn't be the first and/or only point of contact.  It's probably more dangerous for the tackler who launches head first, see Shea Emry and the scrambled eggs he has in his cranium.

Your body isn't static heading into a tackle.  Google form tackling.  A tackle is a stick and a wrap, not launching your helmet into somebody.  Upper body should make first contact and the rest follows through with the arms wrapping.  Head should be back and turned.  Obviously there will be contact with helmets but it shouldn't be the first and/or only point of contact.  It's probably more dangerous for the tackler who launches head first, see Shea Emry and the scrambled eggs he has in his cranium.

If your not concussing yourself to death, your ruining or potentially breaking your neck with the spearing tackle technique yup.

Interesting.  Thanks for that info.

On a related note, I just watched the replay in stop action and it appears to me that the Hamilton player does not leave his feet until contact.  So I think that saying "he launched himself" is a bit inaccurate.  It really does appear that this was simply a matter of two players moving in just the right directions and at just the right moment that their heads collided.

I get that people are ticked, but I really can't fault the TigerCat.  Just plain old bad luck.  Lord knows, we should be good at dealing with that.

On a related note, I just watched the replay in stop action and it appears to me that the Hamilton player does not leave his feet until contact.  So I think that saying "he launched himself" is a bit inaccurate.  It really does appear that this was simply a matter of two players moving in just the right directions and at just the right moment that their heads collided.

I get that people are ticked, but I really can't fault the TigerCat.  Just plain old bad luck.  Lord knows, we should be good at dealing with that.

Their heads collided is the part that matters.  Nothing else.  Heads colliding = penalty in the CFL.

I don't fault the TiCat, I fault the refs for blowing the call.

Lead with the crown of his helmet, whether Willy was standing straight up, on knees, on the ground, being held up by and opponent, sliding head first, that is a penalty pure and simple. Add that an injury took place the league needs to look at the play. If the ticat would of hit him will his face mask we wouldn't be having this conversation today

If you're leading with your helmet and leaving your feet at any point in the hit you're launching yourself into someone and using your helmet as a weapon.  Timing of when you leave your feet is fairly irrelevant.

I find O'Shea's comment about Willy being tough and therefore able to bounce right up offensive. The brain is pretty much a bowl of Jello with a bit of fat mised in randomly. WTF does "tough " have to do with a blow and rebound impact on such an organ???

I agree, that was a strange comment by Oshea. This decision should be taken out of Willy's hands and left to the medical staff to determine when Willy is cleared to play.

The hit was helmet to helmet certainly, but when I watch the replay  it seems pretty clear that he was coming in to finish the tackle and due to WIlly being pulled down just happened to end up helmet on helmet.  Nasty hit, but no intent to injure.

Wrong ... he was out to kill him, maim him Knock him out of the game

When a back or receiver is in the clutches of a defender they never come in hard like that .... they know its a career ender for the back if 

Their heads collided is the part that matters.  Nothing else.  Heads colliding = penalty in the CFL.

I don't fault the TiCat, I fault the refs for blowing the call.

"I don't fault the TiCat" then you are more blind than zebra who has ever lived ... he was out to destroy Willy

The hit was helmet to helmet certainly, but when I watch the replay  it seems pretty clear that he was coming in to finish the tackle and due to WIlly being pulled down just happened to end up helmet on helmet.  Nasty hit, but no intent to injure.

According to Lawless in the Freep this morning that still is a penalty. If you lead with your head, it's a penalty. But I expect that's what Bradbury will say, the guy was finishing the tackle and had no intent. I'm not a ref, but that's a penalty all day long as far as I'm concerned. Lead with your head?? 15 yards thanks. Injury a guy when you do it?? 25 yards and an ejection.

Intent is not in the definition of the foul. He did it. Period. It would be tempting to say that one of our players ought to have laid a big illegal/dirty hit on Collaros, but these guys know that such a hit could cripple the hittee, and they would have to live with that. Darryl Stingley, anyone? There is no excuse for the hit, or the lack of penalty on the play and there will be no excuse if the Commissioner does nothing about this.

Correct me if I'm wronf but it's still a penalty even if it's not with malicious intent? Because what I saw is Willy was going down so was lower than usual. The player did pish forward leading with his head. In essence he was like a torpedo. If willy was upright he would not have taken it to the chin (didn't look helmet to helmet to me, looked helmet to face).

But that's still a penalty, no?

Well here's the deal as I see it guys.  The Bombers have not, as far as I know, appealed to the League for further sanctions.  Yes maybe Walters was upset during the game, but it would appear that after cooling down, they seem to have decided against doing that.  Maybe because after carefully reviewing it, they've come to the decision that it wasn't a "dirty hit"? Why would they not complain, and do so quickly, if they believed that this was a "cheap shot"?  I can't think of any reason except what I've already mentioned.  So if that is the case, maybe the outrage being expressed here is a little misplaced.  Again, it really sucks to lose Willy, but it is football and people get hurt.  Hopefully, he's back in a game or two.  There is still lots of football left.

It was a clear head shot but the angle the defender came from (beneath Willy's chin) looked inadvertent to me. In otherwords, he was trying to get to the QB and led a bit too much with his head but I don't think he was trying to hit Willy with his helmet. There could be a case made I guess that it doesn't matter, you have to be more careful with these kind of tackles so probably you could say he was at fault and should be fined/suspended anyway ...

Willy was being spun around and tackled by the Hamilton player and was basically flung into the other Approaching Hamilton player resulting in the head to head contact. It really seemed as it was accidental or incidental head to head contact. Given the nature of the play I might suggest that it has been or will be reviewed by the CFL. Perhaps we should wait for their response.