[MERGED] Drew Willy Watch And Fine Discussion

Lead with the crown of his helmet, whether Willy was standing straight up, on knees, on the ground, being held up by and opponent, sliding head first, that is a penalty pure and simple. Add that an injury took place the league needs to look at the play. If the ticat would of hit him will his face mask we wouldn't be having this conversation today

You bring up a good point which I think is equipment related. The face-mask provides less impact due to it's grid structure and flexibility.  It would look somewhat bizarre but they could design a helmet with both an internal and an external cage structure to help redistribute the impact and equalize it's force between the two colliding players.

If you think about the increased level of protection that air-bags have provided in passenger cars I think improved technology can offer a solution.  it's a similar problem, for what is a driver other than a brain within a shell?

The other thing that needs to change is a return to form tackling from the bottom to the top in organized football.  The needless glorification of brain splitting hits by professional sports leagues and media is akin to the promotion of tobacco as a glamour enhancer and yet such advertizing is deemed illegal.

Accidental or not, if you hit a QB in the head, leading with your helmet ,it should be 25 yards and an ejection. Its not 1960 anymore. End the bullshit.

This is precisely what I think.

I also think that a lot of these old school guys, players, coaches, media guys, fans, people that played high school football and maybe had a concussion,  still think a concussion is not really a big deal.

I've heard some of them say, more or less, " I played with concussions, why shouldn't the quarterback"

It's the "tough guy" mentality bullshyte.

I think it's still around quite a bit, fans, teams, and media.

Yah, go out there and scramble your brain for the guys on the team!!! Way to go. Cause, It's part of the game.

It's true, that when you can't think  and learn the playbook… we'll fire you.

But we'll recall what a tough guy you were, and give you a sympathy salute while your wife ties your shoelaces.

The League can "fix" the convert, but can't deal with this horrendous problem?

Remember a few years ago, when the NFL decided to deal with this? HUGE fines handed out to guys like that linebacker on the steelers, who got fined repeatedly till he stopped leading with his helmet.

Eventually, players stopped doing it. 

Its not hard to stop this,  once you decide to actually do something about it. rant over.

The hit was helmet to helmet certainly, but when I watch the replay  it seems pretty clear that he was coming in to finish the tackle and due to WIlly being pulled down just happened to end up helmet on helmet.  Nasty hit, but no intent to injure.

Definitely no intent to injure, but what's your point? AFAIK - the rule is straight forward, any 'head shot' will be deemed an unnecessary roughness penatly, regardless of the circumstances. 

The #1 job for the CFL is to protect their #1 assets. Listen, I appreciate Stanley Bryant's ability to block as much as anybody, but no way, no how, am I going pay $80 to see him play. I pay to see the stars play, and the biggest stars are Qb's. 

Any hit to the head, under any circumstance, just like any hit at the knees, under any circumstance, on a QB MUST be called a roughing the passer penalty. It's going to piss off a lot of fans when a marginal call goes against them, but IDC. You're either all in protecting the QB, or you're not. And I realize that the other QB injuries suffered were flukes for sure, with no intent (though Laing was flagged for a low hit even though he pushed into Reilly) to injure, but calling them should reduce the defense's aggressiveness against defenseless Qb's who are extremely vulnerable especially when in the act of or just finish throwing a ball

I recall there was a made cry inToronto to run Lobendahn out if the league on a hit to an Argo QB. The interesting part of that was the next day a photo in the Free Press illustrated that the Argo QB actually put himself into a vulnerable position prior to the hit. After review the league agreed and there was no fine or suspension. My point is the Cfl will or has reviewed the hit on Willy and if punishment is due it will be levied

I recall there was a made cry inToronto to run Lobendahn out if the league on a hit to an Argo QB. The interesting part of that was the next day a photo in the Free Press illustrated that the Argo QB actually put himself into a vulnerable position prior to the hit. After review the league agreed and there was no fine or suspension. My point is the Cfl will or has reviewed the hit on Willy and if punishment is due it will be levied

The Lobendahn play literally occurred in a different era, if the league is serious about protecting players (and they now have to be) they can not let this incident slide by unacknowledged.  They either have to take some form of token action against the player involved or at least acknowledge publicly that there should have been a penalty called on the Willy hit.  To do nothing sends the wrong message.

The Lobendahn play literally occurred in a different era, if the league is serious about protecting players (and they now have to be) they can not let this incident slide by unacknowledged.  They either have to take some form of token action against the player involved or at least acknowledge publicly that there should have been a penalty called on the Willy hit.  To do nothing sends the wrong message.

Yep, a QB in the pocket is extremely vulnerable and very easy to lay a cheap shot on, which is why there's a strikezone in terms of where they can be hit.

Bradbury should be in crap too for not blowing the whistle when the QB is in the grasp.  That is something that is overlooked with player safety IMO, with QB's and anyone carrying the ball.  Blow the damn whistle when forward progress is stopped.

The Lobendahn hit on Lemon was in a different era and different AREA as Lemon was out of the pocket, completely different circumstance.  Lemon declared late in terms of a hook slide while running outside the pocket and Lobendahn was already fully broken down to form tackle him.

So seriously you people don't think the CFL has or won't review that play on Willy? At some point there will be a statement from the CFL office. You may or may not agree or like it but so be it.

Who said that?

It's a moot point anyway if they don't start apply the UR penalties in-game correctly.  Saw another bad one today at the end of the game.  Macho Harris ends up on Trevor Harris and pushes down on his head with all of his weight against the ground, gets up and head butts Whitaker when the Argos called him out on it.  The "shoulda called it's" should be incredibly embarrassing to the league (particularly when a QB is lying on the field unconscious) and lead to a change in officiating.  Guys like Bradbury need to get with it or go work high school football along with the high school basketball he already works.

Saw another bad one today at the end of the game.  Macho Harris ends up on Trevor Harris and pushes down on his head with all of his weight against the ground, gets up and head butts Whitaker when the Argos called him out on it.

You would think that after all the comments and attention that was given to the hit that Willy took, that the refs would be specifically looking for moronic plays like the macho move that Harris put on Harris. Like, right in your face Trevor...BAM 15 harder right there. But no, nobody saw it...lame.

Saw another bad one today at the end of the game.  Macho Harris ends up on Trevor Harris and pushes down on his head with all of his weight against the ground, gets up and head butts Whitaker when the Argos called him out on it.

You would think that after all the comments and attention that was given to the hit that Willy took, that the refs would be specifically looking for moronic plays like the macho move that Harris put on Harris. Like, right in your face Trevor...BAM 15 harder right there. But no, nobody saw it...lame.

I think Macho man was penalized for helmet contact with QB Harris, it was the contact on Whitaker that led to the melee that went un-penalized.  Regardless Macho Harris needs to be on the refs. watch list for fines or suspensions for the "in your face" style that he continues to play.

This problem is 100% league/owner policy, a matter of will .... maybe if the new commish is not a puppet it can be fixed ... save our QBs ... end the stupid violence .... shut down the unwritten instructions to kill the other teams QB

This problem is 100% league/owner policy, a matter of will .... maybe if the new commish is not a puppet it can be fixed ... save our QBs ... end the stupid violence .... shut down the unwritten instructions to kill the other teams QB

The threat of multi-million dollar lawsuits may be the only thing that convinces that group to change their ways.

Well, that injury did happen very early in the game, I know everyone is a doctor lol and all this stuff but judging from my own past experiences with head injuries (i've had 4 concussions through the years now) Sometimes the ones that you think are guaranteed to do damage, they don't.  

The fact that it happened early in the game, who knows.. head injuries are very interesting things. Sometimes like i said the ones you think are gonna do the most damage don't at all... 

It's odd actually. TSN was speculating hardcore and i wish they wouldn't do that, he's gonna be out 3 4 weeks they said on the panel. Kind of makes them look like big time morons. Who knows, maybe Willy didn't even get a concussion, maybe he was just knocked out for a bit. 

Everyone always thinks oh my god, head shot.. concussion for sure... but sometimes, you just get knocked out. No real lingering effects. This might be one of those incidents where Willy was just out for a bit. No concussion. One would assume if he's practicing then yeah, it wasn't a concussion. 

Well, that injury did happen very early in the game, I know everyone is a doctor lol and all this stuff but judging from my own past experiences with head injuries (i've had 4 concussions through the years now) Sometimes the ones that you think are guaranteed to do damage, they don't.  

The fact that it happened early in the game, who knows.. head injuries are very interesting things. Sometimes like i said the ones you think are gonna do the most damage don't at all... 

It's odd actually. TSN was speculating hardcore and i wish they wouldn't do that, he's gonna be out 3 4 weeks they said on the panel. Kind of makes them look like big time morons. Who knows, maybe Willy didn't even get a concussion, maybe he was just knocked out for a bit. 

If you've been knocked out .. you've suffered a concussion.

If you've been knocked out .. you've just suffered a concussion.

Who's that little REC on Sask, Dressler Jr? He was knocked out cold in the game yesterday, but then bounced back up and walked off the field unassisted. I'd be curious to see the protocol that was actually followed.