Riders release; Bombers sign Dominic Picard

gbill2004

the Twitters seem to think Picard automatically starts at C, Goossen to one guard spot, and then Morley/Greaves battle for the other guard spot, Neufeld at RT, and then you're just looking for that big LT...possibly American. 

Personally, I don't think Greaves loses that Guard spot, but who knows...

I know these awards usually come from the media and aren't always accurate, but he couldn't have been that bad last year.

DOMINIC PICARD

MOST OUTSTANDING OFFENSIVE LINEMAN

Second nomination as Riders Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman…third career nomination as he was named Toronto Argonauts Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman in 2011… has started in 16 regular season games at centre…last Roughrider to win this award was Brendon LaBatte in 2013.

To me the question is simple...  Is Picard an upgrade over Morley at center this year?  The answer in my mind is yes.  It doesn't matter if he'll be better for more than one year because Gossen is the heir apparent at center.  Sign him for 2 years and cut him in the second year if Gossen is ready.

Morley is a poor guard.  I'd rather see Gossen start there next year if he isn't ready for the center spot.  Morley is too expensive to be the 6th O lineman.  I'd rather use our 1st round pick.  Morley OR Picard?  I'll take Picard.

That's why I'm surprised Picard would want to be involved here.  He knows contracts aren't guaranteed and we can cut him at any time.  It's not some kind of trick we can pull on him.

This is a team that offers less job security for him than some, unless he's been hiding his talents as a guard all these years.

To me the question is simple...  Is Picard an upgrade over Morley at center this year?  The answer in my mind is yes.  It doesn't matter if he'll be better for more than one year because Gossen is the heir apparent at center.  Sign him for 2 years and cut him in the second year if Gossen is ready.

Morley is a poor guard.  I'd rather see Gossen start there next year if he isn't ready for the center spot.  Morley is too expensive to be the 6th O lineman.  I'd rather use our 1st round pick.  Morley OR Picard?  I'll take Picard.

That's why I'm surprised Picard would want to be involved here.  He knows contracts aren't guaranteed and we can cut him at any time.  It's not some kind of trick we can pull on him.

This is a team that offers less job security for him than some, unless he's been hiding his talents as a guard all these years.

Sounds like he really wants to play for Wylie again...

I know these awards usually come from the media and aren't always accurate, but he couldn't have been that bad last year.

Just a few short months ago, Picard was named #Riders outstanding offensive lineman http://t.co/T2A1dGW0C8 #CFL

— CFL News (@CFL_News)

January 6, 2015

DOMINIC PICARD

MOST OUTSTANDING OFFENSIVE LINEMAN

Second nomination as Riders Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman…third career nomination as he was named Toronto Argonauts Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman in 2011… has started in 16 regular season games at centre…last Roughrider to win this award was Brendon LaBatte in 2013.

The thought process of the average reporter is pretty uninformed and often lazy when it comes to Oline play.  Raised eyebrows are a pretty common annual event here in Bomberland when the nomination for MOL comes out.

My guess at the thought process - the Riders had a dominant run game, so reporters figure take a guy from that team.  Picard was the guy they nominated, so might as well pick him.  Why was Picard nominated?  Over 3 other guys I'd have put ahead of him?  Who knows?  What's the process, one coach vote and 5 local reporters, right?  And how do the reporters pick?  Often they just go ask the coach.  Why did the coach pick Picard (obvious assumption there)?  Sometimes they like to reward players for what they've done in their career, and Picard has had a pretty good one.  Heenan, Labatte, Best - these guys will get other chances to be nominated.

Kind of like Scorsese finally winning a best director award for The Departed after years of being looked over despite his previous work being superior.  I don't mind these kind of make-up picks because I don't give the awards much value in the first place.

Not to make it sound like I'm opposed to the signing, I never have been, I just don't see a natural fit between the two parties.  But without a doubt, Picard has always played a sandpapery game.

Yeah of course you put in an offer for Dominic Picard. He would start at centre for us.

You're absolutely right

Dude you're turning into Roadgriller.

Don't turn into Roadgriller.

Bottom line, the Riders played chicken and lost. We wanted him back at a reduced salary. I'm a fan of Dominic and think he has a couple years in the tank. He will bring some mean and nasty to the line.

Cole's note version.  But I'm guessing they didn't really have a choice in the matter if they wanted to keep Heenan in the fold.

I like this signing.  Our NI O lineman got a bit better today.

I like this signing.  Our NI O lineman got a bit better today.

Absolutely, worst case scenario is that Picard gets beat out at Centre and we have to send him to the 6 game IR. If that happens then it means that Goosen/Morley have really stepped up their game. I don't see a way we lose with this acquisition.

Didn't think we'd go this route BUT if Wylie likes him and thinks he has something left, I'm okay with that. I just hope we don't stop at Picards acquisition and continue to look at others seriously, come fa...which is coming up fast. Wowzers.

Nothing that Kyle Walters has done in his first 1.5 years at the post leads me to believe he will be satisfied with the status quo...

Didn't think we'd go this route BUT if Wylie likes him and thinks he has something left, I'm okay with that. I just hope we don't stop at Picards acquisition and continue to look at others seriously, come fa...which is coming up fast. Wowzers.

Nothing that Kyle Walters has done in his first 1.5 years at the post leads me to believe he will be satisfied with the status quo...

Nope.  About 84 hours since Picard's release was rumoured till his signing here was official.  Walters certainly is not being passive in his duties.

a pretty good day in Bomber land I'd say...  I still think Walters is going to throw some money at the OLine next month.  Imagine that, our OLine become a strength going in to training camp.... I knew I'd see the day eventually, just didn't think it would come this quick!