Riders release; Bombers sign Dominic Picard

gbill2004

Saw this one coming a mile away. The riders need money for other FA's.

In my mind Picard is better than Morley. Morley was a bright spot on our OL last year, but that's not a big accomplishment.

Morley could always slide over to guard, or be used as the 6th OL. Bombers should at least show some interest.

Picard's better than Morley by quit a bit IMHO. At the same price, I'd bring in Picard and lose Morley. I'm assuming Gossen is pencil'd in as the starting center next year though, but he may not be ready yet.

I don't think Goossen is yet ready to start at centre. I do think he could start at guard though. With all the OL injuries we had last year, depth is never a bad thing.

Picard's better than Morley by quit a bit IMHO. At the same price, I'd bring in Picard and lose Morley. I'm assuming Gossen is pencil'd in as the starting center next year though, but he may not be ready yet.

Maybe if this was 2012. Picard has been trending downward for a couple seasons and I'm positive Rider fans will not be sad to see him go.

He was sheltered by the overall line strength of Saskatchewan, but if you isolate his performance, it's easy to see why they got rid of him. One of the most predictable moves of the offseason but I'm sure if we don't go after him, plenty of people will lean on his name brand as proof we should have. If we get him, great. It's always good to see if a change of scenery, scheme, etc can revitalize a valuable commodity. But I wouldn't get rid of Morley for him.

Maybe if this was 2012. Picard has been trending downward for a couple seasons and I'm positive Rider fans will not be sad to see him go.

He was sheltered by the overall line strength of Saskatchewan, but if you isolate his performance, it's easy to see why they got rid of him. One of the most predictable moves of the offseason but I'm sure if we don't go after him, plenty of people will lean on his name brand as proof we should have. If we get him, great. It's always good to see if a change of scenery, scheme, etc can revitalize a valuable commodity. But I wouldn't get rid of Morley for him.

Agree with all of this.. Sign him? Sure. At the expense of another lineman? Nah. He was good awhile ago but I think this would be reminiscent of bringing in moe elwoniebi back in the day.. Might get a seasons worth of solid play outta him but he isn't besting anyone on our oline currently slotted as centre... Be it gossen or Morley. Would be a solid depth pickup IF he can play a serviceable guard.. If he is solely a centre and useless everywhere else, I might hesitate still..

I won't be upset if the Bombers don't go after him. Although I think he's better than Morley the difference is not that significant. I just thought Morley's snaps were kind of soft, they just floated up to the QB.

I've got a feeling that Morley is probably a better teammate and better for the development of Goosen than Picard.

I think the money is better spent somewhere else which will benefit the team longer than one year.

Agree with all of this.. Sign him? Sure. At the expense of another lineman? Nah. He was good awhile ago but I think this would be reminiscent of bringing in moe elwoniebi back in the day.. Might get a seasons worth of solid play outta him but he isn't besting anyone on our oline currently slotted as centre... Be it gossen or Morley. Would be a solid depth pickup IF he can play a serviceable guard.. If he is solely a centre and useless everywhere else, I might hesitate still..

I did some quick research on Picard and it looks like he's only played centre in his career. That alone gives Morley more value as he can play anywhere on the OL.

I won't be unhappy if we don't bring Picard in, especially if Gossen can start.  Morley plays best at center and his best isn't all that good.  He'll be getting big bucks considering how long he's been playing and his passport.  Too much for a backup IMO.  I'd rather leave the 6th spot for our 1st round draft pick instead.