Riders release; Bombers sign Dominic Picard

gbill2004

Lets not delude ourselves. If Walters wants to bid up Heenan to force Taman to drain his cap space, thats one thing, but I rather doubt he would do such a thing. For starters ,the CFL is a small fraternity and Walters might need a favour from Taman at some point, so burning that bridge would make no sense. Heenan would need a pretty big raise to move here, and his wife/girlfriend would likely veto that anyways.

If we have a legitimate shot at Holmes without breaking the bank, lets go for it. If that doesn't work, lets draft and develop.

Walters strikes me as a guy who knows what he is doing. He surely looks like he has a good handle of the clubs SMS.

He already expressed that they are going to be extremely aggressive when it comes to NI OLs.

I think it's just right to prioritize upgrading that area since that's our weakest link for how many seasons now.

Next weakest is the LB corps but imports are generally cheaper than NI especially if they are new faces from down south.

I'm hoping Walters is smart and goes hard after Holmes while everyone else is frothing over Heenan.

If we do have a legit shot at Heenan, then sure, take it... but unless Picard and Neufeld are telling him otherwise, I seriously doubt Heenan comes here.

Well, have to give it a shot. Nothing to lose & everything to gain!

Don't dismiss Jones going back to Regina. His parents are Riders season ticket holders.

From what I understand the reason he would only sign with the Stamps had to do with med school. So if he doesn't get any offers from the NFL, has anything changed regarding his situation at the UofC? 

Don't dismiss Jones going back to Regina. His parents are Riders season ticket holders.

From what I understand the reason he would only sign with the Stamps had to do with med school. So if he doesn't get any offers from the NFL, has anything changed regarding his situation at the UofC? 

I certainly can't answer that. I guess that'll be Jones call if & when the time comes.

Found this on the other Bomber message board:

According to CFLdb, Picard took less penalties and penalty yardage than all but 2 centers in the league last year. Funny fact, the leading Center in penalties was none other than Steve Morley.

In fairness though, the Riders OL are notorious in holding and the zebras missed calling a lot of it.

I think there's a stretch of games last year that the Riders OL wasn't called for even a single holding penalty.

If the zebras don't call it, then it's not a penalty is how it seems to work so regardless, Morley lead the league in penalties by a Center. 

Morleys snaps i thought weren't as crisp either, seemed to flutter back there, probably one of the reasons he took so many penalties. 

If the zebras don't call it, then it's not a penalty is how it seems to work so regardless, Morley lead the league in penalties by a Center. 

Morleys snaps i thought weren't as crisp either, seemed to flutter back there, probably one of the reasons he took so many penalties. 

Morley got ejected in one game so that may have skewed his penalty minutes somewhat...I think it was against the Riders..

Morley got ejected in one game so that may have skewed his penalty minutes somewhat...I think it was against the Riders..

Maybe but GBills quote was saying Morley lead the league in penalties, not penalty minutes. Not sure there is a penalty minutes in football exactly. It's not like they get called for Holding and sit out for 2 minutes. 

Maybe but GBills quote was saying Morley lead the league in penalties, not penalty minutes. Not sure there is a penalty minutes in football exactly. It's not like they get called for Holding and sit out for 2 minutes.
Re-read it. There's nothing in the quote on penalty minutes. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?? lol

Not a bad idea actually, maybe not 2 minutes but have the offending player removed for 2 plays.  It would certainly be an interesting "twist" for the CFL to pursue.  It would make for some dynamic play calling on both offence and defence and might help cut down on penalties to boot. 

Not a bad idea actually, maybe not 2 minutes but have the offending player removed for 2 plays.  It would certainly be an interesting "twist" for the CFL to pursue.  It would make for some dynamic play calling on both offence and defence and might help cut down on penalties to boot. 

Yeah right.

QB takes a time count and then what? LT takes a holding penalty in the fourth quarter after you've run out of linemen on the bench and you have to throw Jake Thomas in there for a couple plays. Not practical in football.

I believe he would have been credited with a 25 yard penalty for being ejected.

In reality the net was zero yards as the penalty was offset by the Rider ejection.

Leading in penalties.  Is that number of infractions or yardage?

1st in yardage, 2nd in infractions. We really shouldn't be too hard on old Morley though since our OL overall was the most penalized in the league. Kinda comes with the territory of having a crap OL. Penalties are taken when assignments are botched. As a Centre he was likely guilty of numerous penalties trying to make sure his QB wasn't killed because of others whiffing on their man.

Yeah right.

QB takes a time count and then what? LT takes a holding penalty in the fourth quarter after you've run out of linemen on the bench and you have to throw Jake Thomas in there for a couple plays. Not practical in football.

what if the whole dline is offside? Chuck the oline on there for two plays?