Riders release; Bombers sign Dominic Picard

gbill2004

I wasn't impressed with his slow snaps and his being bull-rushed back into the QB.

Why waste our precious teaching time with him now, for what amounts to a temp. hire?

Our line needs all the help it can get. If he can still play & even just help us for one season then maybe in that time we can find an upgrade. I'm not against signing Picard. I know this, when Durant was injured, that entire Rider offense lost a significant percentage of its entire IQ. Coaches & players weren't as smart as before. Things that worked before stopped working. Durant was their team MVP. They were lost offensively without him.
Sooooooo picard forgets to how to snap, block and play centre because durant got hurt?

Makes sense...

Well, trade Gott to us then. We'd have a CFL all star. They already have Alex Krausnick who was a starter in Edmonton for a few games backing up Gott. It would be beyond stupid to sign Picard & throw out a pile of money doing it but this is Marcel Desjardins we're talking about .

Well, trade Gott to us then. We'd have a CFL all star. They already have Alex Krausnick who was a starter in Edmonton for a few games backing up Gott. It would be beyond stupid to sign Picard & throw out a pile of money doing it but this is Marcel Desjardins we're talking about .

K-Groh is just not good enough...  Gott or Picard can play guard as well - nothing wrong with an interior of Deane-Gott-Picard, move McMillan to RT, draft more OL

Picard will probably cost $130-150k - not sure that breaking the bank on Holmes or Heenan is the right move for Ottawa, they need receivers and DBs

K-Groh is just not good enough...  Gott or Picard can play guard as well - nothing wrong with an interior of Deane-Gott-Picard, move McMillan to RT, draft more OL

Picard will probably cost $130-150k - not sure that breaking the bank on Holmes or Heenan is the right move for Ottawa, they need receivers and DBs

Picard has been a center his entire career hasn't he?

Agree that Picard ends up in Ottawa, would be a good move for them

You know Ottawa already has Jon Gott at Center. Picard isn't good enough to beat him out. Center is not one of their weak spots on the OL.

Didn't you just suggest he'd go to Ottawa like two posts above this one?

Agree that Picard ends up in Ottawa, would be a good move for them

You know Ottawa already has Jon Gott at Center. Picard isn't good enough to beat him out. Center is not one of their weak spots on the OL.

Didn't you just suggest he'd go to Ottawa like two posts above this one?

Yeah, I did... LOL! then I realized Gott was already there & went hey... I flubbed that pretty good.

Burris may die this year if Picard is one of his Gaurds

From excitement!

From excitement!

Nope that isn't why...

From excitement!

Nope that isn't why...

I lol'd

Riders cut him because his salary vs age vs quality of play is not favourable compared to the other options they have.  If they weren't forced to make that decision for cap reasons, maybe they keep him for one more year.  Maybe they still cut him.

Someone will sign him because he's still better than the scrub they're keeping on their practise roster or hidden on a 1 game IR.  They won't pay much for him because of the same reasons Saskatchewan cut him.

He'll be the "break glass in case of emergency" guy for some team in this league.

That same logic works for us just as well as any of the other 8 teams.  Fine if we get him, but the top end of what we'd pay him should not have any wiggle room - he should not be a signing that hinders our ability to sign more important players, which would probably be almost every other player on the roster.

As for a starter at center, if we're making a change, I'm wanting to the Goossen era to begin if he's deemed ready enough.  Otherwise, based on what I think I saw last year, our line should look better by replacing the guys around Morley more than it would look better by replacing Morley, so just roll with him again.

I'd pass on Picard only because i don't think he's as good as he once was and i doubt he accept  what i'd offer him. What would i offer him? No signing bonus but a chance to win the job at training camp, one would assume he wouldn't accept that. If he would be willing to take a lesser deal and prove himself in camp vs the likes or Morley and Goossen, then sure i'd sign him but... not for as much money as he would want.

I see him signing elsewhere, not sure where tho, maybe he goes back to Toronto or maybe Hamilton even. Honestly, looking around the league i don't see many spots open for a guy who really can only play center. 

Classic forum - picard has been one of the best centres in the league, gets cut only because of cap and we all agree that morley after one season at centre is the better option... After all of us calling for morley's head for the last four years ha

Ha ha ha, oh us...

#justbomberfanthings

Classic forum - picard has been one of the best centres in the league

Your grammar choice impedes the strength of your argument...

That and the fact his opinion of Picard is horrendously wrong lol..

Picard has been on a downswing big time for the last 2 seasons.. He's easily on par with Morley or worse..