Riders release; Bombers sign Dominic Picard

gbill2004

The less holes we have comes TC, the better.

Right now, our immediate holes are LT, RT, MLB, WIL, SAM and a WR. If Walters can fill it up on FA that would be great.

Realistically we can't fill all those holes in FA with proven starters.  Free agents typically cost too much to do that and fit it under the cap.

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 of those areas filled and the rest is on the scouting staff.

To summerize:

- Signing Picard is seen as the 1st step in re-shaping the "soft" attitude of a soft offensive line.

- And here I thought Morley had as good a year as Picard

- If Wylie is on board, and considers this an upgrade and will help us overall, then who the hell am I to argue?

- Physical and nasty….this I like.

- No up front money, I hope…like Korey Banks…fight for a job at training camp, like all the others.

- Don't stop now, we need at least one more good offensive line move to carry on.

To summerize:

- Signing Picard is seen as the 1st step in re-shaping the "soft" attitude of a soft offensive line.

- And here I thought Morley had as good a year as Picard

- If Wylie is on board, and considers this an upgrade and will help us overall, then who the hell am I to argue?

- Physical and nasty….this I like.

- No up front money, I hope…like Korey Banks…fight for a job at training camp, like all the others.

- Don't stop now, we need at least one more good offensive line move to carry on.

It's simply unrealistic to not expect upfront money for players like Banks and Picard.

There are nine teams in this league. There's upfront money in most deals any competent agent can negotiate for a veteran.

It's simply unrealistic to not expect upfront money for players like Banks and Picard.

There are nine teams in this league. There's upfront money in most deals any competent agent can negotiate for a veteran.

Understandable.

The inference was more about the amount of upfront money…that Banks got.

@CJOBSports   #Bombers Dominic Picard "Dream come true, I feel like I am coming home today" Credits Bob Wylie & Fan Base & Drew Willy reasons for coming

Fan base?  Interesting comment.  

Its a pretty common comment that players make when they change teams. Feel free to go looking for something that isn't there. The fans here have much respect for Picard. He is a warrior. This was a money move, nothing more IMHO.

Color me surprised but.... as i was thinking about this when it was announced that Picard signed with us, I thought, well if wylie likes him then... he must have something left to give. I do have to admit, i never really thought of the attitude thing before, but picard is known to play with a mean streak and i think that's a good thing.

Gotta pencil picard in as starter at the moment don't you? 

Will be interesting to see what happens with guys like Morley now, his versatility might mean he sticks around but he could be a guy that is on the bubble now.

interesting story about Picard...I don't know if this was sour grapes or simply the truth but I met Matt Sheridan at a trade show shortly after the 2007 Grey Cup and we spoke about the Glenn injury in the TO game... Sheridan made no bones about who's fault that play was... didn't hesitate to say Picard screwed up... I think he even called him "Frenchie"... IMO it sounds like there may have been a personal issue between those two... anyways, still think this can be a good signing...   

And I don't understand why some are suggesting the Bombers should not cut Steve Morley.  He's still a very valuable asset.  You don't just go and cut a starting Canadian OL  At worst, Morley is our 6th OL this season.  Competition is always a good thing.  I see the OL shaping up like this:

LT - January/Daniels

LG - Greaves

C - Picard

RG - Goossen/Morley

RT - Neufeld

6th - Morley/Goossen 

That's some nice Canadian OL depth.  A stud import tackle would be the icing on the cake. 

January isn't signed yet and I think that Daniels out played him late last year.  He may not be signed this year, unless his price goes down IMO.

Neufeld hasn't been healthy and mostly played guard for us.  I don't see him as the starting tackle this year.

Morley's expensive, to high for the 6th guy and I'd like to see an up and comer as our 6th.  Morley's not a top O lineman, especially as a guard.

My take:

LT - Daniels

LG - Greaves

C - Picard

RG - Goossen/Neufeld

RT - New Import

6th - Neufeld/Goossen

#2 pick takes Hinse's spot

And I don't understand why some are suggesting the Bombers should not cut Steve Morley.  He's still a very valuable asset.  You don't just go and cut a starting Canadian OL  At worst, Morley is our 6th OL this season.  Competition is always a good thing.  I see the OL shaping up like this:

LT - January/Daniels

LG - Greaves

C - Picard

RG - Goossen/Morley

RT - Neufeld

6th - Morley/Goossen 

That's some nice Canadian OL depth.  A stud import tackle would be the icing on the cake. 

a very versatile 6th OL

@CJOBSports   #Bombers Dominic Picard "Dream come true, I feel like I am coming home today" Credits Bob Wylie & Fan Base & Drew Willy reasons for coming
Fan base? Interesting comment.

I agree.. Never realized he had such love for us.. Must be st.boniface lol. If wylie wants him, i retract my previous concerns as im clearly looking at it wrong.. More depth never a bad thing and he does pack a lot of meanness to him.. Wonder if a mentor role for a fellow franco might have been enticing as Well?

I also think he just let it slip that Johnny Sears has a new deal.

That's not what I heard at all at the presser. 

After hearing his later comments, I'll have to retract what I said

He was talking about all the negotiating they were doing on the 31st and brought up "wasn't sure if Demond would re-sign, wasn't sure if Johnny ..." and kind of stopped himself as if he had let the cat out of the bag.

But clearly his later comments indicate otherwise.

Picard is much better then the garbage american guys who rotated in and out over the last few years. I would rather the club sign some guys like this and take this sort of risk rather then playing rookies and unknowns without any veteran backups to fall back on.