Riders release; Bombers sign Dominic Picard

gbill2004

From Penton:

The Riders released Picard because he was due a $140,000 bonus on Jan. 1, according to a source, and they weren't willing to pay it. The Bombers, who created quite a bit of 2015 salary cap before the end of December, stepped up to the plate immediately with a two-year deal for Picard that will pay the 32-year-old north of $195,000 per season, according to a source.

http://www.thewhig.com/2015/01/06/bombers-welcome-back-dominic-picard

Other than the fact that he can't block anybody 1 on 1, he can't block well enough to play anywhere but centre and his snaps have been unreliable the last 2 seasons, I have no issue with Picard.

I doubt that he plays any significant role on our team unless Morley retires or is injured, and I really hope we didn't tie up more than a few thousand in bonus money on him.

Walters basically committed to Picard as our starting centre this season at today's presser.
Banks was our SAM too.
All of this is how I feel. I tweeted this morning that the whole thing reminds me of Banks last year, and I got shouted down by a few people. I'll believe the Picard hype when I see it in the summer.
Situations aren't similar at all. Banks was released because his GM thought he was washed up. His GM was right. Picard was released for cap reasons, the season after winning his teams top OL award. And Riders tried to bring him back on a restructured contract.

If the award was an accurate one... which I'm obviously not convinced of, then you would obviously find someone else to release to relieve your cap stress. Not your supposed "best" offensive lineman, who also happens to be your Center.

Other than the fact that he can't block anybody 1 on 1, he can't block well enough to play anywhere but centre and his snaps have been unreliable the last 2 seasons, I have no issue with Picard.

I doubt that he plays any significant role on our team unless Morley retires or is injured, and I really hope we didn't tie up more than a few thousand in bonus money on him.

Walters basically committed to Picard as our starting centre this season at today's presser.
Banks was our SAM too.
All of this is how I feel. I tweeted this morning that the whole thing reminds me of Banks last year, and I got shouted down by a few people. I'll believe the Picard hype when I see it in the summer.
Situations aren't similar at all. Banks was released because his GM thought he was washed up. His GM was right. Picard was released for cap reasons, the season after winning his teams top OL award. And Riders tried to bring him back on a restructured contract.

If the award was an accurate one... which I'm obviously not convinced of, then you would obviously find someone else to release to relieve your cap stress. Not your supposed "best" offensive lineman, who also happens to be your Center.
He was due a $140k roster bonus. That's unheard of.

From Penton:

The Riders released Picard because he was due a $140,000 bonus on Jan. 1, according to a source, and they weren't willing to pay it. The Bombers, who created quite a bit of 2015 salary cap before the end of December, stepped up to the plate immediately with a two-year deal for Picard that will pay the 32-year-old north of $195,000 per season, according to a source.

Holy crap that's a lot of money!

From Penton:

Yep, way more than I thought. I could be wrong, but I believe this makes Picard the 2nd highest paid OL in the CFL, after Josh Bourke.

From Penton:

Yep, way more than I thought. I could be wrong, but I believe this makes Picard the 2nd highest paid OL in the CFL, after Josh Bourke.

Labatte.

And I guess we know where the bar is going forward for national OL

And I don't understand why some are suggesting the Bombers should not cut Steve Morley.  He's still a very valuable asset.  You don't just go and cut a starting Canadian OL  At worst, Morley is our 6th OL this season.  Competition is always a good thing.  I see the OL shaping up like this:

LT - January/Daniels

LG - Greaves

C - Picard

RG - Goossen/Morley

RT - Neufeld

6th - Morley/Goossen 

That's some nice Canadian OL depth.  A stud import tackle would be the icing on the cake. 

If Neufeld starts at guard instead of tackle it'll be very interesting to see what they do with Morley.

If Neufeld can play more than 3 games in a row without pulling up lame, I'll be shocked.

I think this is a shrewd move by Walters...  Sign a top NI centre and then let his salary leak - gives more incentive for guys like Heenan and Holmes to test free agency

Bombers still have cap room, more than a lot of other teams - Sask, Hamilton, T.O. - I think we have a good shot at signing one more OL

From Penton:

195K?! That's too much for Picard even if the bar for NI salaries is steadily rising.

I was initially shocked at the $195k figure, but I see where Walters got the number from. Picard's contract with the Riders was set to pay him $175k per season, but that was signed under the previous CBA. New CBA the cap went up a little more than 10%. So add 10% to $175k and there's your $195k.

The more I think about it the more I think Walters made the right call. One more stud OL and we're in business! I'm okay with giving Heenan $300k per.

From Penton:

195K?! That's too much for Picard even if the bar for NI salaries is steadily rising.

On the surface I'd agree, but with the cap moving up for the second of five consecutive years?  The reality is the Bombers are committing around 4% of their cap space to a starting NI.  That is a reasonable percentage.  Can't do it for everyone, but you can do it for a few.

And a $140,000 offseason bonus in the CFL is insane.  Insane.  I don't know why Picard would even have agreed to that.  It basically guaranteed he'd be released, and will wonders never cease, he was.

Apparently Ben Heenan and Pat Neufeld are best friends. The plot thickens...

Former teammates Willy and Picard are now here.  The plot does thicken.

Anyone know a Winnipeg girl who's willing to flirt with Heenan online for the next 2 months?

Anyone willing to pretend to be a Winnipeg girl and is willing to flirt with Heenan online for the next 2 months?

Banks was our SAM too.

Not necessarily true at all... even IF Picard was their "best" O-lineman last year... ahead of Labatte and Heenan... the latter two are still more valuable based on age and potential... Picard, meanwhile, is on the downside of his career...

The thing with Lawless is sometimes his speculation is based on solid inside information and sometimes it is speculation.  It is tough to know which it is.

I have no doubt there will be 9 teams talking to Heenan if he goes to free agency, and if the 200k to Picard is accurate, then 250k to Heenan as a starting offer is not a stretch.

The question becomes if 250k is our starting offer, wonder what our limit is.  What will Ottawa offer, and does Saskatchewan now have the cap room to match any of those offers.   All things being equal, if the money is the same, can't see him leaving Saskatchewan since that is where he is from.

Apparently Ben Heenan and Pat Neufeld are best friends. The plot thickens...

Former teammates Willy and Picard are now here.  The plot does thicken.

Anyone know a Winnipeg girl who's willing to flirt with Heenan online for the next 2 months?

Anyone willing to pretend to be a Winnipeg girl and is willing to flirt with Heenan online for the next 2 months?

I thiink I can convince Logan007 to step up to the plate and take one for the team ..

Lawless certainly seems confident that Walters will be strongly going after Heenan.  Believes the starting offer will be at least $250,000

I'm afraid I must lol at this.  Even though nothing about it is inaccurate.  Rather the idea that while Heenan is on the market, he is really on the market.

He will go to free agency to establish value, and then re-sign with the Riders for slightly more than that amount.  The Riders are preparing for this by clearing cap space.  i.e. cutting Picard.

Walters will make an offer.  Probably several.  He will be aggressive.  Heenan will get a contract well in excess of $250,000.  But we will almost certainly finish second on his list of suitors.

Still, we have to do it anyways.  Best case scenario, we get Heenan.  Worst case scenario, we drive up the price for Heenan, handcuff the Riders for cap space right out of the gate, and possibly eliminate Saskatchewan from the running of other FA's we're interested in.  Both scenarios have positive aspects for the Bombers.

Lawless made some interesting points yesterday that I choose to believe in order to stay optimistic.  He said Patrick Neufeld is Heenan's best friend, Bob Wylie was his coach when he had his most success so far, and a couple other guys are here that he played with in Sask (Picard, Willy).

And hey, he should know about Grey Cup host teams breaking the bank to try to win it all and actually succeeding. Maybe he wants to try it again. Just no one tell him that being the Bombers there's a good chance it backfires horribly.