Passing of Ken Ploen and Gerry James

Ken Ploen was the Bomber QB when I started watching the CFL and continue watching now. He was a great 2 way player and exciting to watch. I met him once in the stands at BC Place when he was sitting before the game and was in town to do some game broadcasting. Still have his autograph on that program cover.

RIP. Condolences to his family, friends and CFL fans.

This one hurts. KP came to the Bombers and the franchise only improved. As an American he chose to make his after football life at home in Winnipeg. He was a gentleman each and every time we met. No one had a bad word to say about him. There has never been a number 11 for the Blue since his playing days. Bless you Kenny. 

The Bombers had a jersey release event for their 50s jerseys and Kenny was on hand. I told him I was disappointed as I wanted him to sign a jersey for me but they didnt have my size made up that day.

He said no problem, when I got the jersey I could look him up in the phone book and go to his house to get it signed.

How many guys would make that offer?

He had Alzheimer’s or dementia. He couldn’t remember yesterday but he could tell you the plays they ran in the grey cup games

my grandma had that also and it got tough after a while. Really odd seeing your older grandma acting like a teenager. Hopefully Kenny is back to being himself now. Hopefully he’s up there throwing TDs. 

I was lucky to see him play at the WPG Stadium. I was 9 when I saw him and Leo Lewis , Funston and Ernie Pitts play . I could go on but I was teared up when I saw this he was a legend a great Man I have my BB jacket signed by him at the 2012 Grey cup. 4 cups a MANitoban !! The best I have ever seen!

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

He had Alzheimer’s or dementia. He couldn’t remember yesterday but he could tell you the plays they ran in the grey cup games

my grandma had that also and it got tough after a while. Really odd seeing your older grandma acting like a teenager. Hopefully Kenny is back to being himself now. Hopefully he’s up there throwing TDs. 

Yeah, now he has Frank Rigney blocking for him. Leo Lewis running the ball as well as Farrell Funston & Ernie Pitts to catch it. 

When I was 8, Ken Ploen sat in front of me and my Dad at a game. I had a huge Pepsi with a bad lid, and I spilled it down the bench and all over Ken and his wife. 
I apologized and he smiled and said “don’t worry about it” but they went to clean up and never came back.. Dad was mortified. 

Sorry about that again Mr. Ploen. Rest easy.