2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

It's not 6 months work when you factor in that they have to work out every single day, 12 months of the year to be in football shape. Hasn't been a part time job in many many years. Factor in that your career can be over in a heartbeat in this rough sport, and they should be getting every penny they can. 

I work out pretty much every single day...plus train others...and have a full time job...same as when I played...it's a lifestyle...and if u make it yours then yes u are getting paid X amount of $'s for 6 months

10 minutes ago, Blue In BC said:

Yeah and the Lions gutted the rest of their roster to pay Reilly that much. They finished at 5 -13 and out of the play offs. That's why it's not sustainable.

It would be interesting to examine the roster changes made after Reilly retired, because the next season Rourke took over and they thrived.  Receiver would be an obvious position to look at but the Lions have had a pretty good pipeline of young receivers developing the last few years and other than Whitehead and Rhymes can't think of any others that came in through FA.  In the same time period they also lost Burnham.

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Except that most people can't do that kind of work. 

If I was in my 20's, I'd go.

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

To everyone who thinks that Collaros should take a pay cut...

How would you react if your boss came to you and said "How 'bout taking a $100K pay cut so we can keep the guy who wants to take your job around?". I don't think it would go well. 

Other qbs have done it. Jake Maier & Trevor Harris. Maier especially is tenuos. If Calgary can find someone better then he'll be gone. Maier is 6 feet & 227 lbs. He can't even bother to play in shape which is half his problem. The guy is a pylon in the pocket. Maier should be 20 lbs lighter.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I have family in that line of work.  Many try it due to the $$, and many can't hack it. 

Same, the mental aspect of that kind of isolated, dangerous work can be just as taxing as the physicality. 

Back to topic, yeah the amount of time spent working out, dealing with nutrition, training, film study.
Todays players probably get as much or less legit time off as any of us who have been at our jobs most of our adult lives. 

4 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I have family in that line of work.  Many try it due to the $$, and many can't hack it. 

Trust me, even just doing wellsite stuff in Alberta with the ability to go home every few weeks is soul crushing. I wasn't even on the rig floor,  I did the white collar stuff. Yeah the money is good (or at least was) but it's a pretty awful existence. I am much happier earning less doing what I do now knowing I get to go home every night.

19 hours ago, Blue In BC said:

Yeah and the Lions gutted the rest of their roster to pay Reilly that much. They finished at 5 -13 and out of the play offs. That's why it's not sustainable.

Not sustainable if the QB is garbage yes.  And you can’t draft and develop linemen.  And you overpay a bunch of free agents without being able to backfill your roster.  Yes.

Collaros deal is fine.  The SMS limit is higher and he’s making over 100k less than those guys were.

The only way you do anything with his deal is if you’re willing to trade or release him.

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Other qbs have done it. Jake Maier & Trevor Harris. Maier especially is tenuos. If Calgary can find someone better then he'll be gone. Maier is 6 feet & 227 lbs. He can't even bother to play in shape which is half his problem. The guy is a pylon in the pocket. Maier should be 20 lbs lighter.

You're comparing Collaros to Maier and Harris? :lol: That's this kind of insight I expect from you. :lol:

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not sustainable if the QB is garbage yes.  And you can’t draft and develop linemen.  And you overpay a bunch of free agents without being able to backfill your roster.  Yes.

Collaros deal is fine.  The SMS limit is higher and he’s making over 100k less than those guys were.

The only way you do anything with his deal is if you’re willing to trade or release him.

Which is a real issue as they will not have the budget to attract or hang onto a decent backup until Zach's contract expires or he retires.  The next starting QB will most likely step in from elsewhere once he's gone, instead of developing in house like Brown has.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

Which is a real issue as they will not have the budget to attract or hang onto a decent backup until Zach's contract expires or he retires.  The next starting QB will most likely step in from elsewhere once he's gone, instead of developing in house like Brown has.

If we sign a promising rookie this year, they'll be under contract until Zach leaves. 

Brown is just unfortunate timing. 

21 hours ago, Booch said:

I work out pretty much every single day...plus train others...and have a full time job...same as when I played...it's a lifestyle...and if u make it yours then yes u are getting paid X amount of $'s for 6 months

You could stop working out and retain your job. The players can't.

21 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

just saying...if its part of your lifestyle...and what you do day in and day out, then it's irrelevant...If a person holds a fulltime job, and has that training lifestyle, then continuing it in the off-season is just status quo and no extra burden on said person...If anything it's easier as you dont have to contend with weekly practices, meetings, and the weekly game and grind and the recovery post game

1 hour ago, JCon said:

If we sign a promising rookie this year, they'll be under contract until Zach leaves. 

Brown is just unfortunate timing. 

How often has that strategy worked out in the past?  Maybe once with Dieter Brock and twice if Brown turns out to be a bonafide starter elsewhere.

Edited by Fatty Liver

42 minutes ago, Booch said:

just saying...if its part of your lifestyle...and what you do day in and day out, then it's irrelevant...If a person holds a fulltime job, and has that training lifestyle, then continuing it in the off-season is just status quo and no extra burden on said person...If anything it's easier as you dont have to contend with weekly practices, meetings, and the weekly game and grind and the recovery post game

I can't figure out why you're arguing against the idea that being a football player is a year-round job for these guys....? I would have thought that you'd agree with that ..

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Brown to Ottawa confirmed....lol

RedBlacks will have to wrestle him from the clutches of Sask first, apparently. Hate the thought of Brown in Sask BTW: 

...." O’Day would not answer questions about (Dru) Brown directly while he remains under contract with Winnipeg but did admit landing the quarterback being dubbed ‘the next one’ by fans and media makes for a nice hypothetical. “That would be a very attractive scenario,” he grinned. “That’s the idea is you’d like to have the succession plan in place." https://3downnation.com/2024/01/13/riders-very-aware-of-need-for-trevor-harris-succession-plan-at-quarterback/#google_vignette

Edited by Doublezero

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I can't figure out why you're arguing against the idea that being a football player is a year-round job for these guys....? I would have thought that you'd agree with that ..

That's why I stopped posting...some just don't get it...

1 hour ago, Doublezero said:

RedBlacks will have to wrestle him from the clutches of Sask first, apparently. Hate the thought of Brown in Sask BTW: 

...." O’Day would not answer questions about (Dru) Brown directly while he remains under contract with Winnipeg but did admit landing the quarterback being dubbed ‘the next one’ by fans and media makes for a nice hypothetical. “That would be a very attractive scenario,” he grinned. “That’s the idea is you’d like to have the succession plan in place." https://3downnation.com/2024/01/13/riders-very-aware-of-need-for-trevor-harris-succession-plan-at-quarterback/#google_vignette

What's the incentive for Brown to go to Saskatchewan as Harris's backup? In Ottawa, it sounds like he would have more of a shot. Hamilton as well.

Brown will be done in 2 years if he goes to sask with their noline. Ottawa is the best bet. They atleast have a couple oline guys 

4 hours ago, bryan35 said:

Lots of them have off season jobs tho. So they make it work. Working out or exercising is a daily thing for lots of people with jobs. Hell my current one even gave me a pass to access the city gym. lol 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

For sure.....Even with all of the near-do-wells hanging around Ottawa, Dru would be better off taking a shot at their pivot position.....Sask.=Deadend

Sask I don’t think recognizes the line Is a problem. And if I’m a QB, that’s a problem. Sask can’t fix that oline in free agency. They just can’t. Ottawa is my guess.