2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I have a personal agenda against Investors group, so I'm fine that they won't be keeping the name. 

For what it's worth Princess Auto has a lot of roots in Wpg. The family members I know seem pretty solid. And they own TCB so expect more availability!!

Any business is going to sound dumb as a stadium name.

I wish we could just call it Stegall Field or something. 

22 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

That name better comes with a revenue boost. Definitely less classy than IG Field or Canad Inns Stadium.

well this is a dumb take.... neither investors group or canadinns scream class anymore than princess auto. It's corporate naming, it always has and always will be about who gives the most money. Give it time and it will just be what it is like those other names became. 

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

I asked ChatGPT to generate an image for "Create an image of a football stadium for Princess Auto Field for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers", to see what it would come up with.  It certainly has problems spelling, but love the Blue & Gold.

4c6b1ad2-c978-44d0-ab79-aca3660ae9df.jpg

Who knew ChatGPT was a Rider fan?  That toilet bowl lid for a roof is unmistakable and belongs in Regina.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I have to say I am surprised at how many have turned on Brady and are prepared to shrug and just let him walk, especially thinking that it locks in Schoen now. I totally get the concept that running backs have a shorter shelf life than receivers (and agree with that) and that they can be a dime a dozen and his production can be easily replaced more than other positions (not as sure that is agree given the heights he achieved, or that it is any tougher to unearth a receiver, but I am willing to concede that point rather than argue about a hypothetical hair splitting matter). However, a few things to ponder if comparing Oliveira/Schoen and assuming we must let one go and it will guarantee us the other:

MONEY

Brady made $100,000 last year, max $114,000 with bonuses (this according to 3DownNation, and I’d have to think he hit all of his plausible bonus plateaus), and is seeking to be the highest paid back (and re-set the market, though that may be fans and media talking more than his one playful tweet which I personally think some are taking way too seriously to get offended by, jmo). Highest paid back last year was $170,000, Demski made $175,000 (as a Canadian comparable), so even re-setting the market I can’t fathom it being higher than $200,000. I would peg it at between $175,000-$190,000 at the top end.

Dalton made $70,000 or so last year (Wpg Sun, who said he made near rookie minimum). If he is #1 or 2 in the CFL, then the bar for him is $300,000 given the current market set by Kenny Lawler. I would peg him at $225,000-250,000 on the open market. So in theory, those worrying about overpaying and costing us elsewhere on the roster should be more concerned about the larger pay increase being Schoen, no?

LIFESPAN

Brady is 26, Dalton is 27, so neither is getting old, and since a max contract is 3 years and is a rarity in the CFL, the shorter shelf life of a running back should not really come into play. 

DURABILITY

Brady plays a pounding game, so always a threat of injury, but Dalton is coming off an injury himself, and who knows how healed up he is, in light of his rush back into the Grey Cup lineup and the non-factor that he was in that game. He sure got beaten up last season, curious to see how he rebounds. 

IMPORTANCE 

This is where I am curious about opinions. Both are key to our attack, but it was said that the offence ran through Brady (no pun intended). If Dalton goes down, we still have Lawler, Demski, Wolitarsky, Bailey, and BOLO for our corps, plus whatever young American we bring in this season. If Brady is out, we have Augustine, McCrae or a new American. In which position do you see more of a drop off? And only one of Brady and Dalton is a ratio-breaking Canadian.

LOYALTY

i again wonder how much of the Brady dismissal is due to the tweet and nothing else. I did not read it as a middle finger to Winnipeg or the fans, just a playful response to the media tweet of “the sky’s the limit” rather than a threat to bleed teams dry. But that’s just me. In any event, Dalton has not necessarily shown any greater loyalty by wanting to try the NFL route in consecutive seasons, if one wants to get their nose out of joint (I do not, players words or expressed desires of maximizing their careers does not irk me). I don’t see either as being more or less loyal to the club. 

I always remembered Dave Ritchie saying “Canadians are gold, Americans are silver” so I am surprised so many seem willing to just say bye-bye to the MOC who did something no other back period has done since Jon Cornish and only Charles Roberts has done before in a Winnipeg jersey (2,000 scrimmage yards). Dalton put up league-leading or comparable numbers, but Brady lapped the field with his performance last year. I feel that people are underselling his accomplishments, or the importance of his play at the position (and more so the position itself in the Bomber offence), a little too readily. 

Anyway? Just some musings. Sorry about the length, hoping it might generate more discussion. 

Thank you for your thoughts. I agree with many of your comments that you have made.

I believe many true Blue Bomber supporter truly don't want to see Brady/Dalton walk away from our team, I sure don't want to see that. The fans of the team understand when it comes to money matters and what's best for the team, the team does come first. For Brady/Dalton they both know that of the fans/team (both have looked up in the stands and seen the support for them & the team), but they need to look out for themselves right now, the team comes in second, until they sign.

Of course, the unknown waiting game has the true Blue Bomber supporters edgy, testy among themselves (I'm seeing it here). The process of entertaining so called NFL interest or thoughts of future outside opportunities, have many of the supporters showing frustrations during this timeframe (count me in that group). It seems to be a much slower key signing process this year than past couple years.

I have said this of the Blue Bomber Organization in the past, they will get it done, one way or another this year as well and I will support the Bombers up in the stands.

Nobody is “turning” on Brady. He is a great player that everyone would love to have back. 

If he wants to “reset the market” he can do it somewhere else. He didn’t build this team up over years and years like many others - he walked into a finished product. 

It is bit of a slap in the face of guys who actually did turn this around damn near a decade ago - lplayed major roles in winning Cups- and took less to stay here. 

He wants it to be all business - so don’t be surprised when it gets treated like a business on both sides. 

I Don't blame him for wanting to get paid, but it doesn’t fall in line with FIFO, and he plays a position that should be easier to replace.

So happy travels if that is what he wants. 

Edited by Geebrr

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Nobody is “turning” on him. He is a great player that everyone would love to have back. 

If he wants to “reset the market” he can do it somewhere else. He didn’t build this team up over years and years like many others - he walked into a finished product. 

It is bit of a slap in the face of guys who actually did turn this around damn near a decade ago - and played major role in winning Cups- and took less to stay here. 

He wants it to be all business - so don’t be surprised when it gets treated like a business on both sides. 

I Don't blame him for wanting to get paid, but it doesn’t fall in line with FIFO, and he plays a position that should be easier to be replaced.

So happy travels if that is what he wants. 

No one is turning on Brady. I’ve kind of turned on his agent though to be honest. 
I get trying to max out value, but all the NFL talk is just stupid. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

Every one loves Brady. A guy can become too big for the team though. I wouldn’t sign Myles Garett or bosa for 5 million dollars a year. Wouldn’t make sense. Even a million a year would leave a team un able to compete. Prime Derrick Henry or any other top tier nfl rb, wouldn’t give him 500k. If two players combine for a mil against this cap you’re pretty much doomed in the cfl. 
 Brady might get crazy money from some one. We lost out on drew desjarlais to ott for 260k a year. Which is crazy money for a guard especially. 
 Desjarlais, is a better ol than Brady is a rb.  Both are great, but drew has legit 7-8 years of elite level play left in him. Rookie RBs don’t have that. 
 I can’t see us giving Brady more than like 225k. And I could see a desperate team going crazy. Kadeem Carey went into last year on 145k hard max salary. At that point he was the best back in rb league. Kevin brown made 121k last year in hard max money. Devonte Williams probably made 90k range and was 100 yards behind brown, in 3 less games played. How much is the passport worth? 
 Gittens jr off his career year made 200k. Demski made 175k. If the pass port is worth 60k, Brady is worth 200-205 ish. But if some one offers him 250 range it just makes more sense to go rookie for Pennie’s on the dollar. 

The thing people need to remember about a Canadian running back is that they are so few and far between that committing to one as a ratio breaker means you also have to invest the capital in a capable backup as well.

Johnny Augustine made 90k last year, probably close to the going rate unless you find a good rookie. Is there a team that is going to invest 300k into a RB1/2? If there is, I hope it’s not us.

Just now, Mike said:

The thing people need to remember about a Canadian running back is that they are so few and far between that committing to one as a ratio breaker means you also have to invest the capital in a capable backup as well.

Johnny Augustine made 90k last year, probably close to the going rate unless you find a good rookie. Is there a team that is going to invest 300k into a RB1/2? If there is, I hope it’s not us.

(obviously you could flip your ratio or dress more than the required amount of Canadians but there’s a cost to that as well)