Bombers at Ottawa

Jpan85

Jesus Christ... So sorry, fellas. That is brutal. My old man is a gym fiend that was a weightlifter for awhile, then trimmed down to do more marathons (and a couple triathlons) and now just works out to stay healthy as long as he can. He's 68 this year and, save for a couple gall bladder scares, he's been remarkably healthy. I'm glad and thankful to still have him. Even more so after reading some posts tonight ...

Looks like we are "dadding out" here so just add am so glad to still have both my parents with me and still relatively healthy and "with it" into their late 70's.  It was my dad who took me to my first Bomber games and got me hooked on the Bombers in the late 70's when I was still in early grade school.  I still remember my teacher in Grade 5 coming up to me in November and asking me if I could write down for her husband all the scores of the Bomber games for the entire year from memory and I did it like it was nothing.  I can't do that now, I can tell you, but that's how big a fan I was even back then, I memorized and could tell you every detail and the final score of every game the Bombers played in 1982.  Right through to the heart-breaking Western final against Edmonton.  Of course it helped that we were season ticket holders (thanks Dad!) and I was present at half of the games.

East side - Gimmee a B!!  RIP Jack Skelly.  Oh would that guy have loved to be watching the Bombers now in these new glory days.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Looks like we are "dadding out" here so just add am so glad to still have both my parents with me and still relatively healthy and "with it" into their late 70's.  It was my dad who took me to my first Bomber games and got me hooked on the Bombers in the late 70's when I was still in early grade school.  I still remember my teacher in Grade 5 coming up to me in November and asking me if I could write down for her husband all the scores of the Bomber games for the entire year from memory and I did it like it was nothing.  I can't do that now, I can tell you, but that's how big a fan I was even back then, I memorized and could tell you every detail and the final score of every game the Bombers played in 1982.  Right through to the heart-breaking Western final against Edmonton.  Of course it helped that we were season ticket holders (thanks Dad!) and I was present at half of the games.

East side - Gimmee a B!!  RIP Jack Skelly.

I'm glad you realize just how lucky you are to have both your parents. Coming from a son who no longer can say that.

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

Jesus Christ... So sorry, fellas. That is brutal. My old man is a gym fiend that was a weightlifter for awhile, then trimmed down to do more marathons (and a couple triathlons) and now just works out to stay healthy as long as he can. He's 68 this year and, save for a couple gall bladder scares, he's been remarkably healthy. I'm glad and thankful to still have him. Even more so after reading some posts tonight ...

That's why i have become a gym rat again...plus it's all I really know anyway...gotta work the steel out with the devil...lost my younger sis too ...buried her on her 38th bday...cancers a *****....so I just slay each day now and give back wherever I can.

Lost my mother when I was in my 20's, a very tough loss for a family. The mother is always the glue that binds. Lost my father 4 years ago, he was my hero and has kind of set my family adrift. The estate is still not settled, as my father had many holdings that were complicated by partnerships etc. and I haven't seen some of my brothers and sisters since the funeral. We are all older now, and my older siblings have their own children and grandchildren, but it sure is tough to maintain immediate family ties without a parent to anchor things down. I really feel for anyone going through the loss of a parent. It is some of the worst days/months of your life afterwards.....so let's cut Biggie and Dru a little slack around here for a few weeks if they are reeling from their losses.

My dad is 86 and showing signs of slowing down...finally.  My mom is 78 and a firecracker.  But I think they finally realize that looking after a 3,500 square foot log home on 3 acres is becoming too much, so hopefully they'll sell soon and move into something smaller and easier to maintain.

18 minutes ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

My dad is 86 and showing signs of slowing down...finally.  My mom is 78 and a firecracker.  But I think they finally realize that looking after a 3,500 square foot log home on 3 acres is becoming too much, so hopefully they'll sell soon and move into something smaller and easier to maintain.

My Dad was 86 when he died, and just prior to him getting sick we had convinced him it was time to live part time at the old folks home down the street from his house. The compromise was that we would keep up his yard and house and he could go home on weekends with one of us staying with him as he was really physically struggling with rheumatoid arthritis so day to day tasks such as cooking or even getting in and out of the shower he needed help with. Best we could do because he was not giving up the house, and at that age....why should he. Unfortunately, he went into St. B for some unrelated health issues and got caught up in one of the very early hospital covid outbreaks in the province and never came out. Was before they even had the vaccines.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

My Dad was 86 when he died, and just prior to him getting sick we had convinced him it was time to live part time at the old folks home down the street from his house. The compromise was that we would keep up his yard and house and he could go home on weekends with one of us staying with him as he was really physically struggling with rheumatoid arthritis so day to day tasks such as cooking or even getting in and out of the shower he needed help with. Best we could do because he was not giving up the house, and at that age....why should he. Unfortunately, he went into St. B for some unrelated health issues and got caught up in one of the very early hospital covid outbreaks in the province and never came out. Was before they even had the vaccines.

man that sucks

Just now, Booch said:

man that sucks

He lived a very full life. It sucks that covid got him, but his last few months he was so frustrated with his physical limitations that his quality of life he wanted was unachievable and he would have been just playing out the string. I know that sounds harsh. but he really was a proud man and having to get others to wipe his bum was killing him too.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

He lived a very full life. It sucks that covid got him, but his last few months he was so frustrated with his physical limitations that his quality of life he wanted was unachievable and he would have been just playing out the string. I know that sounds harsh. but he really was a proud man and having to get others to wipe his bum was killing him too.

totally hear u there...I never wanna get to that point either

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Yea...I hope not too. I want to go with dignity, although it certainly isn't anyone's fault when their body gives out I can certainly understand their frustration.

A big reason I'm getting into strength training in recent years. I've always been a runner, but I'm getting big on the idea that having a strong base of muscle to keep off the signs of sarcopenia is the best thing you can do to avoid those late life issues as long as possible. 

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

A big reason I'm getting into strength training in recent years. I've always been a runner, but I'm getting big on the idea that having a strong base of muscle to keep off the signs of sarcopenia is the best thing you can do to avoid those late life issues as long as possible. 

u got in...strength and resistance training after 40 is huge...Wards off so many thigs, and keeps the body functioning as it should, and doesn't break down and age as fast....I go harder now somedays than I did when playing...and also all the new data now..tools...equipment...myths debunked and working with college level athletes for draft prep and pros keeps me engaged...Advocate bigtime of fasting...training while in a fasted state and you can't lose

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

u got in...strength and resistance training after 40 is huge...Wards off so many thigs, and keeps the body functioning as it should, and doesn't break down and age as fast....I go harder now somedays than I did when playing...and also all the new data now..tools...equipment...myths debunked and working with college level athletes for draft prep and pros keeps me engaged...Advocate bigtime of fasting...training while in a fasted state and you can't lose

great for bone density too. Especially in females. 

50 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yea....fitness of any sort will definitely help. Strength training for sure is beneficial is benefiical to stave off sarcopenia. Just make sure you don't wear out your joints doing it and struggle with RA because of it.

47 minutes ago, Booch said:

Friend of mine owns Podaima Performance, a gym that specializes in fitness for people over 40. He too recommends intermittent fasting with training happening during the fasted state. He likes the combo of strength and resistance as well to build muscle and joint health. I would say that is now 2 people who know a crap load more about it then I do recommending it so I may give it a try.

56 minutes ago, Booch said:

I've made sure to add daily balance exercises too. Tons of benefit to using a balance board or similar.