Bombers at Ottawa

Jpan85

40 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah...resistance training is great for that

It's also really good for anyone with metabolic diseases. I was diagnosed with diabetes, CKD, and high blood pressure a few years ago and my overall health was very poor. My friend put me onto his metabolic disease diet and workout, which was mostly resistance training with some weight training as well. In less than 6 months I was off the diabetes meds and my kidney function had improved a ton and blood pressure back to normal. It's been smooth sailing since, and I am not living at the gym (home bowflex 3 times a week with some free weights maybe an hour a session) and I am not on a calorie count either. Just eating right what I do eat. Weight didn't really drop but body fat percentage and waste size sure did

2 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I've made sure to add daily balance exercises too. Tons of benefit to using a balance board or similar.

I am scared to fall and be that old lady in the commercial...."Help I've fallen and I can't get up". However, I never considered the benefits of that but yea....I could definitely see that being beneficial and not too hard on these old joints of mine either.

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yea....fitness of any sort will definitely help. Strength training for sure is beneficial is benefiical to stave off sarcopenia. Just make sure you don't wear out your joints doing it and struggle with RA because of it.

Friend of mine owns Podaima Performance, a gym that specializes in fitness for people over 40. He too recommends intermittent fasting with training happening during the fasted state. He likes the combo of strength and resistance as well to build muscle and joint health. I would say that is now 2 people who know a crap load more about it then I do recommending it so I may give it a try.

Yeah its the way to go, and a lot of elite level athletes do it now....I have never had better workouts....ever.....then when I train in a totally fasted state...more energy and strength and all around feel way better.

People have this misunderstanding of what Fasting even means, and what it does for you...in a nutshell makes you fat adapted and not susceptible to insulin resistance....and your body starts to run and function as intended...the ol 3 meals a day and snacks is totally wrong...and keeps your insulin spiked...and over time you just get fatter..and fatter...and body sicker...and sicker....when insulin is up/spiked...it's biologically impossible to burn calories...glucose...and have your liver metabolize energy stores into ketones and run optimally as it supposed to...simple concept people can't seem to grasp....also when fasting the body will automatically up your HGH levels to preserve muscle mass, and give you that oomph you need...so yes you can actually add lean body weight and eviscerate fat and body will absorb old dead cells, mitochondria....waste material ...etc...just lingering around in your system.....poisons and toxins as well through autophogy...look that up....

Ok...thats enough of todays tutorial lol....wrong thread for that

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It's also really good for anyone with metabolic diseases. I was diagnosed with diabetes, CKD, and high blood pressure a few years ago and my overall health was very poor. My friend put me onto his metabolic disease diet and workout, which was mostly resistance training with some weight training as well. In less than 6 months I was off the diabetes meds and my kidney function had improved a ton and blood pressure back to normal. It's been smooth sailing since, and I am not living at the gym (home bowflex 3 times a week with some free weights maybe an hour a session) and I am not on a calorie count either. Just eating right what I do eat. Weight didn't really drop but body fat percentage and waste size sure did

I am scared to fall and be that old lady in the commercial...."Help I've fallen and I can't get up". However, I never considered the benefits of that but yea....I could definitely see that being beneficial and not too hard on these old joints of mine either.

Fasting actually can eliminate the need for insulin in type 2 diabetics...almost cures it...Look up Jason Fung....one of the foremost experts on fasting...He's a Cnadian Kidney doctor   tons of youtube stuff by him....Ok...I'm done I swear...back to football 

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Pick up a $40 board and put it near a wall or other support (in case you feel yourself losing your balance) in front of your TV. 

Oh, and don't forget to use it.

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah its the way to go, and a lot of elite level athletes do it now....I have never had better workouts....ever.....then when I train in a totally fasted state...more energy and strength and all around feel way better.

People have this misunderstanding of what Fasting even means, and what it does for you...in a nutshell makes you fat adapted and not susceptible to insulin resistance....and your body starts to run and function as intended...the ol 3 meals a day and snacks is totally wrong...and keeps your insulin spiked...and over time you just get fatter..and fatter...and body sicker...and sicker....when insulin is up/spiked...it's biologically impossible to burn calories...glucose...and have your liver metabolize energy stores into ketones and run optimally as it supposed to...simple concept people can't seem to grasp....also when fasting the body will automatically up your HGH levels to preserve muscle mass, and give you that oomph you need...so yes you can actually add lean body weight and eviscerate fat and body will absorb old dead cells, mitochondria....waste material ...etc...just lingering around in your system.....poisons and toxins as well through autophogy...look that up....

Fasting actually can eliminate the need for insulin in type 2 diabetics...almost cures it...Look up Jason Fung....one of the foremost experts on fasting...He's a Cnadian Kidney doctor   tons of youtube stuff by him....Ok...I'm done I swear...back to football 

Thanks for this info. I keep seeing ads on Instagram or reddit, but never what I deemed a reliable source. I like food and snacking a lot but it really sounds like I need to check this out more.

I talked my Mom into going to the gym when I was 20ish. She went 3-4 days a week for 50ish years & she was physically good until she hit 90. Unfortunately, she wasn't mentally fit after 80 so she spent a decade in care living out her worst nightmare. I can only hope that she never had a moment of clarity in those last years. 

I live with my 92 year old FIL to keep him safe. He used to be a runner. He still goes out for a walk, with his walker now, a few times a week, but he can't take care of himself. We have to check if he's wearing his runners or his slippers because he forgets. He can't use a cell phone because he forgot how, so we hold our breath the whole time whenever he goes out. 

What I'm saying is... Being fit doesn't get more years in your 20's you get more years in your 80's/90's. That may be great or become your worst nightmare.

16 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Thanks for this info. I keep seeing ads on Instagram or reddit, but never what I deemed a reliable source. I like food and snacking a lot but it really sounds like I need to check this out more.

Highly recommend..

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

I talked my Mom into going to the gym when I was 20ish. She went 3-4 days a week for 50ish years & she was physically good until she hit 90. Unfortunately, she wasn't mentally fit after 80 so she spent a decade in care living out her worst nightmare. I can only hope that she never had a moment of clarity in those last years. 

I live with my 92 year old FIL to keep him safe. He used to be a runner. He still goes out for a walk, with his walker now, a few times a week, but he can't take care of himself. We have to check if he's wearing his runners or his slippers because he forgets. He can't use a cell phone because he forgot how, so we hold our breath the whole time whenever he goes out. 

What I'm saying is... Being fit doesn't get more years in your 20's you get more years in your 80's/90's. That may be great or become your worst nightmare.

yup....totally agree and it's too bad that when the mind starts to go...there is nothing that can be done...I'm gonna sling the iron around for as long as I can

16 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I do a 16 hour fast, nothing but black coffee, for 16 hours a day 4 times a week and a minimum of 12 the other 3 days a week. I went from an A1C of 13.4 to between 5 and 6 for the past 3 years taking no diabetes meds at all. Low carb diet (under 100g of carbs per day and never more than 40 in a 2 hour window), and moderate exercise level as well. For those with metabolic issues I highly recommend this approach.

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I do a 16 hour fast, nothing but black coffee, for 16 hours a day 4 times a week and a minimum of 12 the other 3 days a week. I went from an A1C of 13.4 to between 5 and 6 for the past 3 years taking no diabetes meds at all. Low carb diet (under 100g of carbs per day and never more than 40 in a 2 hour window), and moderate exercise level as well. For those with metabolic issues I highly recommend this approach.

Yeah I basically do a minimum of 16 hours ..most days its closer to 18...even 20....and I do it every day...another thing it eliminates fatty liver diseases....people don't realize a good portion of the population have non alcoholic fatty liver disease....induced by sugar...insulin resistance...poor diet....Fasting will basically cure it

Edited by Booch

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Yea, staying mentally sharp is a roll of the dice once you get to an advanced age. However, it is a chance I am willing to take. Not everyone loses it. I've seen a lot of elderly people who are extremely sharp in their 90's. Some...not so much. I can tell you that poor fitness in old age will result in memory loss/dementia at a far greater rate than those with physical health...but nothing is foolproof.

Just now, Booch said:

Yeah I basically do a minimum of 16 hours ..most days its closer to 18...even 20....and I do it every day...another thing it eliminates fatty liver diseases....people don't realize a good portion of the population have non alcoholic fatty liver disease....induced by sugar...insulin resistance...poor diet....Fasting will basically cure it

I tried everyday and I was getting hypoglycemic at times so I had to cut it back. However, if you are able to do it...hell yea.

29 minutes ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

Talk about derailing a topic!

I don’t mind a derailment where good info is passed on. And thanks to those who contributed, and to the mods for letting it play out. Booch I may reach out to get more info of the “fasting” concept, I clearly fall in the category of “not understanding the true meaning” and would welcome a tutorial. I’m no Jabba the Hutt, but the healthiest thing about me is my appetite, and my metabolism has always been hummingbird high but is definitely slowing as I hit the back nine of life. 

41 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Having watch my mother whither away suffering from dementia and losing her 5 years before she passed and now dealing with my MIL starting down the same road my wife and I have pledged each other that we want out at that point in our lives. We are willing to sacrifice what we have left so that our family doesn't have to suffer.

38 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

My A1C has never tested over 5.5 but BP is high if not treated. I average about 40 minutes a day of moderate exercise but really all cardio. Non alcoholic fatty liver is something that I am concerned with so hearing this is a potential treatment is very interesting. My greatest concern is the once a 1/4 fasting blood tests I get that I have to fast for 12 hours, not sure how I would manage that every day. 

Sorry to continue the derail but what would a 16hour a day fast look like? Times etc?

17 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Having watch my mother whither away suffering from dementia and losing her 5 years before she passed and now dealing with my MIL starting down the same road my wife and I have pledged each other that we want out at that point in our lives. We are willing to sacrifice what we have left so that our family doesn't have to suffer.

My A1C has never tested over 5.5 but BP is high if not treated. I average about 40 minutes a day of moderate exercise but really all cardio. Non alcoholic fatty liver is something that I am concerned with so hearing this is a potential treatment is very interesting. My greatest concern is the once a 1/4 fasting blood tests I get that I have to fast for 12 hours, not sure how I would manage that every day. 

Sorry to continue the derail but what would a 16hour a day fast look like? Times etc?

The night before you start...eat your supper at 5...6...whatever works for you...then break the fast the next day 16 hours after you had that last meal....simple as that...make sure to have plenty of water throughout the day...and if you can...try and eat clean...healthy foods...avoid refined foods and white sugar as best you can...high fructose corn syrup sweetners too...as those are poison to the body....when I first got into it...I ate whatever I wanted in my eating window...but when I eliminated the sugarsthe bad ones and ate more clean and healthy...Good amounts of proteins and fats...yes fats...and stuck to good carbs...the results were even more amazing

Generally what I do for people I train and work with is tell them to break a fast at 1;00 p.m....with a lighter healthier meal/shake....and if you can, minimal to no carbs, then have a regular well balanced supper when you would normally,...and then if you had to have something after that a light snack before 8.pm...then shut er down for the night

In the morning you can put cream in coffee if you want...as cream is fat and wont spike the insulin and the small amour won't kick you out of the fast.....and thats pretty much all you need to do....and if you involve exercise...especially resistance training....you will be amazed...even within 1 month...couple good resources on this to go and watch is stuff by Jason Fung as I previously mentioned...as well as Dr Sten Ekberg and a guy who goes by Fledge Fitness on Youtube....3 really really good resources to watch....you will be impressed

Edited by Booch

24 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I go from 9 pm daily to around 1 pm. Just coffee and water in between. If I feel my blood sugar is too low I will break fast at 9am. It takes a couple weeks but you will find that you won't even be hungry and when you are in your eating window you will reduce portions.

Edited by GCn20

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I go from 9 pm daily to around 1 pm. Just coffee and water in between. If I feel my blood sugar is too low I will break fast at 9am. It takes a couple weeks but you will find that you won't even be hungry and when you are in your eating window you will reduce portions.

yeah I rarely get hungry...some days I realize its 3 p.m and havnt eaten yet

So on this topic...

The only reason I still live in AB (actually just turned down a job offer in Brandon) is because my wife - an only child - is the sole caregiver for her mother, who has MS and is in a care home at only 66.  My wife needs to be in AB to take her mother to appointments and such.

The MIL has been there the past 10ish years and recently had to move to an extended care floor as the MS worsens and she has less function.

All this to say that you never know how many days you've got on the clock. Stay as healthy as you can and live every day to the fullest.

The pandemic kicked my ass and I gained a pile of weight. I stopped drinking and cut out junk in January and dropped about 50lbs as of July. Hoping to lose another 10-15 and I'll be where I want. As much as I miss beer and the occasional evening whiskey, I'm much healthier, both physically and mentally (tied together very tightly!!) and living a much better/happier life.

I was 40 when cancer took my dad and I really struggled until I went for help. In retrospect, it had some positive outcomes because when the light of my life, my wife and soulmate, died at age 49, it left me to grieve and to help my teenage daughter and 20 year old son through it. I wish I could say I breezed through it, but I did not. The awareness and processes I learned in order to cope with my dad's death helped a lot, but these were the darkest days of my life. A friend who is a doctor wrote a prescription to help me sleep  as I was barely getting 3-4 hours per night, but I was scared to fill the prescription as there were moments when I was so overwhelmed with the pain and emptiness that I might have been tempted to take them all at once. On top of that, I had to pretend I was OK so that the kids wouldn't have to fear losing me too. And go to work.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

I was 40 when cancer took my dad and I really struggled until I went for help. In retrospect, it had some positive outcomes because when the light of my life, my wife and soulmate, died at age 49, it left me to grieve and to help my teenage daughter and 20 year old son through it. I wish I could say I breezed through it, but I did not. The awareness and processes I learned in order to cope with my dad's death helped a lot, but these were the darkest days of my life. A friend who is a doctor wrote a prescription to help me sleep  as I was barely getting 3-4 hours per night, but I was scared to fill the prescription as there were moments when I was so overwhelmed with the pain and emptiness that I might have been tempted to take them all at once. On top of that, I had to pretend I was OK so that the kids wouldn't have to fear losing me too. And go to work.

Really glad you seeked out help. You have been through an unimaginable hell and there's no shame reaching out for help. I've been on various sleep cocktails for 5 years now and they're a literal lifesaver. Quetiapene has been a common helper, but Clonazepam has its moments as well. Whatever it takes to get a good night's sleep and see the world through clear, logical eyes.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

These are the things kids never see, we think our dad's are the most invincible people on earth.

It's not me but, my mom lost her dad, her best friend and grandpa all in the same month. Life can be that sucker punch in the face, everyone's got their own way of picking themselves up and keeping strong.

5 hours ago, Booch said:

Edited by kschach
Question answered above

4 hours ago, GCJenks said:

I watched my Mom and my wife's Mom go thru it. Not going to happen to me or my wife. We've got an exit plan dontcha know. 

The sharing thread 

Good luck to you all on your journeys through life. Here's my story 

I was born to a mother who loved to dance, she danced so well that she got an offer to go to NYC to do this new broadway show called Cats  We were stoked. Let's go. Off we went to the big apple, my mom would take us to the theater with her, we got to meet all the stars and that's when I was raped by rum tum tugger. My dad laughs now and says that's why you hate the ticats so much 

Anyways let's go blueeeee

Edited by Goalie

56 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The sharing thread 

Good luck to you all on your journeys through life. Here's my story 

I was born to a mother who loved to dance, she danced so well that she got an offer to go to NYC to do this new broadway show called Cats  We were stoked. Let's go. Off we went to the big apple, my mom would take us to the theater with her, we got to meet all the stars and that's when I was raped by rum tum tugger. My dad laughs now and says that's why you hate the ticats so much 

Anyways let's go blueeeee

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a55a86ea-f072-491e-9f44-8ccd62a675e7