Bombers vs Stamps - Friday night football

15 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

We can keep throwing out suggestions, but I don’t see one topping Maier McCheese. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat and concede the win to the superior player.

This may be the most brilliant nickname since Kamau Incompleterson. That one is in the Hall of Fame. 

yup...winner

18 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

We can keep throwing out suggestions, but I don’t see one topping Maier McCheese. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat and concede the win to the superior player.

This may be the most brilliant nickname since Kamau Incompleterson. That one is in the Hall of Fame. 

According to my analysis via my graphical ChatGPT AI interface, the most statistically optimal nickname for the individual in question is "Maier McCheese." Beep, bop, boop!

19 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Looks like the Bombers are wearing their 3rd jerseys tomorrow.

Open poll question for the masses. Rank the “alternate” jerseys from best to worst. Can rank as just the jersey, the entire uniform combo including pants, socks, and helmet, or do two separate rankings. The contenders:

The 75th Anniversary game uni (white pants):

winnipeg-blue-bombers-wide-receiver-milt

The 75th Anniversary uni, Grey Cup version (blue pants):

image.

1950’s retro:

NEP1036775.jpg

1960’s retro:

1321865.jpg

2010 alternate (grey face bars):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS75HnNvepGlP_LF2l0wBR

2013 alternate (blue face mask):

17059744.jpg

2014 camo:

140822-BOMBERS_10_17844237.JPG?w=1000

2022 alternate:

fz-krm4usaamazv.jpeg

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If Lyle is still around I could see him trying to sign up here to post 5 or so nicknames of his own.

2 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

If Lyle is still around I could see him trying to sign up here to post 5 or so nicknames of his own.

1. Jake the Fake (or Jake the Flake)

2. Maierrhea

3. Jake “tuck ‘n’ run” Maier

4. “Mail it in”Maier

5. Bauer Sucks!

Bonus entry: Bobo 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

I think the uniforms are best ranked in tiers:

S - anything 70s-80s looking.  Royal blue or white jersey, gold pants, gold helmet.  This is the way.

B - 50s/60s retros.  These are plain and unremarkable but at least they look like football uniforms.

C - 2022 all-blues. Not a fan of onesie-looking pajama uniforms but they get some points for getting the color right.

D - 75th anniversary gold + white pants.  Not hideous, but pretty bad.  gold is a trim color, not a primary color.

E - the pigeon-poop camos.  Plus one for fresh outside-the-box thinking. Minus several billion for pure failure.  Bury them at the crossroads so they will not haunt us again.

F - 75th anniversary gold + blue pants. those satin not-quite-navy blue pants are grotesque.  Ryan Dinwiddie is thankful for these uniforms because his dead-duck interceptions were not the ugliest thing on the field in Grey Cup 2007.

Edited by johnzo

38 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Open poll question for the masses. Rank the “alternate” jerseys from best to worst. Can rank as just the jersey, the entire uniform combo including pants, socks, and helmet, or do two separate rankings. The contenders:

The 75th Anniversary game uni (white pants):

winnipeg-blue-bombers-wide-receiver-milt

The 75th Anniversary uni, Grey Cup version (blue pants):

image.

1950’s retro:

NEP1036775.jpg

1960’s retro:

1321865.jpg

2010 alternate (grey face bars):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS75HnNvepGlP_LF2l0wBR

2013 alternate (blue face mask):

17059744.jpg

2014 camo:

140822-BOMBERS_10_17844237.JPG?w=1000

2022 alternate:

fz-krm4usaamazv.jpeg

Not sure why you included those 2014 Argos uniforms...

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

31 minutes ago, johnzo said:

The uniforms are properly ranked in tiers:

S - anything that looks 70s-80s.  Royal blue or white jersey, gold pants, gold helmet.  This is the way.

B - 50s/60s retros.  These are plain and unremarkable but at least they look like football uniforms.

C - 2022 all-blues. Not a fan of onesie-looking pajama uniforms but they get some points for getting the color right.

D - 75th anniversary + white pants.  Bad, but not hideously so.

E - Camos.  Plus one for outside-the-box thinking. Minus several billion for pure failure.  Bury them at the crossroads so they will not haunt us again.

F - 75th anniversary. those satin not-quite-navy blue pants are grotesque.  Ryan Dinwiddie is thankful for these uniforms because his dead-duck interceptions were not the ugliest thing on the field in Grey Cup 2007. 

Agree 100%. The blue leotards were awful. Stripe up those football pants or get out of the business. 
I don’t care for our current alternates at all because of the hockey jersey, but at least the pants and socks have proper striping. 
Thing that annoys me is all the alternates in the league are copy/pastes with different (but always mono) colours, maybe a gimmicky font on a few of them. 
There are zero alternates in the CFL with contrasting jerseys and pants, it drives me insane. Bunch of PJ sets. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Tate was a headcase. I'll never forget one Stamps home game at least 10 years ago where he took a big hit & was shaken up. He came off the field for a series then went back in again before the 1st half ended.

He was coming out of the locker room walking to the bench. He was stopped by a TSN reporter Jermain Franklin for an interview. He was asked how he felt. He told the reporter he has no memory of playing in the first half & the only reason he went back in was the doctors cleared him. The next day, the CFL launched an investigation of the Stamps medical staff & HC John Hufnagel into the team's concussion protocols. Did Huff or the doctors make Tate go back in when it wasn't safe?

He put the reputation of Huff as a coach & the entire medical & training staff on the line. Then, he says. "Oh, I was just kidding! I really was alright. My memory was fine." I'm sure he heard about it from Huff & team officials. What a moron. 

Tate once told a TSN reporter that he loved being the backup QB because he gets a game cheque and doesn't have to play and then followed that up with he really prefers not having to go into the game.

18 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

There are zero alternates in the CFL with contrasting jerseys and pants, it drives me insane. Bunch of PJ sets. 

The Roughriders use white pants on their retro alts -- I know I'm gonna get manure piled on me for this but I think their alts look pretty nice, probably the best you can do with green and white. 

They look like real throwbacks and I bet they would pop on a telethon broadcast.

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Tate once told a TSN reporter that he loved being the backup QB because he gets a game cheque and doesn't have to play and then followed that up with he really prefers not having to go into the game.

So many back-ups think it. You're not supposed to say it, lol.

53 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Camos are the worst and it's not close.

It looks like the uni's were hung up in a pigeon coop before they were splatterred with javex....Who the hell could come up with that crapo design ....looks like they dreamt it up when they were on 'something'

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

So many back-ups think it. You're not supposed to say it, lol.

If I have a backup that's even thinking it I would cut him loose. I want a backup that wants to be the starter and gets a little POed when he sees the depth chart every week.

9 minutes ago, johnzo said:

The Roughriders use white pants on their retro alts -- I know I'm gonna get manure piled on me for this but I think their alts look pretty nice, probably the best you can do with green and white. 

They look like real throwbacks and I bet they would pop on a telethon broadcast.

Anything that is less green is always better, but at the end of the day it is a Rider jersey and that alone makes anything they wear god awful ugly.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

If I have a backup that's even thinking it I would cut him loose. I want a backup that wants to be the starter and gets a little POed when he sees the depth chart every week.

And that's what most will say. But I can't imagine there's not a bunch of (mostly NFL guys) who know they can't actually compete at this level but get paid just to hang out all day who really appreciate having a good starter in front of them.