Bombers vs Stamps - Friday night football

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

For sure. OL age isn't a thing until injuries pile up. If healthy they can play forever almost and anyone thinking Biggie doesn't have some ball left in him is crazy. He takes really good care of himself. Is he on the decline, maybe a tiny bit, but that still leaves him as probably the best MIKE in the league just not the perennial MODP anymore. Also, when it comes to our OL we kind of have it covered already with some guys in house that would be starting on many OLs around the league already.

Biggie, when it's time to hang them up....we go shopping...we are definitely one of, if not the most, desirable destination for any FA out there. There is no reason at all to think our star is fading, or that it will any time soon. Our program of excellence is built, and that is the hard part, now we just maintain.

Teams would kill to get their paws on one of Dobson or Eli....Both of whom would start anywhere in league right now

Biggie as well is not playing a traditional MLB role....our scheme asks him to do a lot of other things other than just play inside the box and spy RB's and QB's....Just cause he isnt piling up the sexy stats doesn't mean he's not being useful...is he 2019/21 Biggie...nope....But he is still getting it done to not hurt the squad...plus he's like an on-field coach....but he needs to clean up some of his tackling tchnique as he has made some ugly whiffs...mind u he's not alone at that up to now

23 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

last year's Stamps game went right down to the game saving end zone INT that won the game for the Blue so I don't expect a blow out on Friday either.

I agree - I think this game will be close. Calgary is getting some of their folks back and I am still not sure what our line up will look like. I think we will or should win however it will be a very close game IMHO.

To me, there is nothing more poetically romantic than Friday night football on a prairie summer evening. The anticipation, the energy, the electricity in the air after the end of the work week, and the camaraderie of the Blue Bomber fans creating an enchanting atmosphere that can't be matched. Friday night football is like immersing myself in a symphony of emotions, where every play and every cheer becomes a verse in the grand poem of the game, and life.

I can't wait to catch up on all the gameday poetic prose I wasn't able to write last week. 😀

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

We have a few aging players at key positions....no doubt about it....but to suggest that we are old is kind of stupid. We are like .5 years older per average than the league average. We will need to replace Stan, Biggie, Yoshi and Neuf in the next couple years but everyone else is actually pretty young.

Mike Miller 34 and Jake 32, might be inclined to pack it in after this year, they both have careers on the go on the East Coast.

42 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Mike Miller 34 and Jake 32, might be inclined to pack it in after this year, they both have careers on the go on the East Coast.

The age thing is kind of misleading and is kinda skewwed a bit. 

Bryant's age of 37 effects the average quite a bit but he hasn't shown any let down...and really if he didnt get screwwed out of the MOL in 2019...he would be on a streak of winning it. Mike Benson at 36 also brings it up, but as strictly a long snapper...big deal...We have ZC at 34... and who is saying he looks old and declining??...we may see that at 37..38....Trevor Harris age range....but again that brings up the average...With Biggie and Neuf at that age too but where has their play hurt us?

Briggs and Yosh at 33..One is a role player...other an all-star....Castillo is 32 with the Jeffs....and who wouldn't want them on their squad...If all 3 were to be dumped they would be starting on a new team the following week...and Jake...who I think is on his last legs this yr and will be done...and hopefuly his role scaled down in favour of Lawson

Rest of the lineup is 31 and under with the majority in the 23 to 27 age range.....old and aging is way over blown

Edited by Booch

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

Bryant's age of 37 effects the average quite a bit but he hasn't shown any let down...and really if he didnt get screwwed out of the MOL in 2019...he would be on a streak of winning it. Mike Benson at 36 also brings it up, but as strictly a long snapper...big deal...We have ZC at 34... and who is saying he looks old and declining??...we may see that at 37..38....Trevor Harris age range....but again that brings up the average...With Biggie and Neuf at that age too but where has their play hurt us?

Briggs and Yosh at 33..One is a role player...other an all-star....Castillo is 32 with the Jeffs....and who wouldn't want them on their squad...If all 3 were to be dumped they would be starting on a new team the following week...and Jake...who I think is on his last legs this yr and will be done...and hopefuly his role scaled down in favour of Lawson

Rest of the lineup is 31 and under with the majority in the 23 to 27 age range.....old and aging is way over blown

Bryant had one of his worst games, if not worst vs BC. The Bombers as a whole had a terrible game vs BC, I give Bryant a mulligan after that game vs his undeniable, rock solid consistency.

18 hours ago, Nolby said:

Bryant had one of his worst games, if not worst vs BC. The Bombers as a whole had a terrible game vs BC, I give Bryant a mulligan after that game vs his undeniable, rock solid consistency.

Bad games happen to even the best occasionally. Stan is the least of my worries when it comes to players showing their age though. I honestly think that the BC Lions DEs just gave him looks and stunts that he was simply not prepared for, and I chalk it up to Stan having a bad film week.

19 hours ago, Booch said:

Aging players that will be tough to replace:

Yoshi, Biggie, Willie, Miller

Aging players with in house replacements ready to go:

Neuf, Stan, Jeffcoat

Everybody else....equal replacements easily found in FA.

I did not mention ZC because he is easily 3-4 years out from showing his age, same could be said about Willie really as he is a freak but you never know so I included him. 

So really, we have 4 guys that are aging out but all still playing at a high level that will require some fine work by Walters, everything else is pretty much taken care of or is easily taken care of. As long as Walters/MOS recognize the right time to move on from players when the time comes this team requires no rebuild and can easily sustain a high level of success for many years to come.

21 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Bad games happen to even the best occasionally. Stan is the least of my worries when it comes to players showing their age though. I honestly think that the BC Lions DEs just gave him looks and stunts that he was simply not prepared for, and I chalk it up to Stan having a bad film week.

They were also anticipating snap count....and at times to me looked early...U saw T.O switch up their cadences...and basically nullified them and caused some penalty issues

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Aging players that will be tough to replace:

Yoshi, Biggie, Willie, Miller

Aging players with in house replacements ready to go:

Neuf, Stan, Jeffcoat

Everybody else....equal replacements easily found in FA.

I did not mention ZC because he is easily 3-4 years out from showing his age, same could be said about Willie really as he is a freak but you never know so I included him. 

So really, we have 4 guys that are aging out but all still playing at a high level that will require some fine work by Walters, everything else is pretty much taken care of or is easily taken care of. As long as Walters/MOS recognize the right time to move on from players when the time comes this team requires no rebuild and can easily sustain a high level of success for many years to come.

I'm not overly concerned with our aging guys on the O-line...a good tech sound O-lineman who hasn't had injury issues in career (Bryant never has...Yosh few if any) can play a long time...Biggie is the guy we need to be trying to groom a new guy....he has been fine so far...not a dominating difference maker, but I will let season pan out and see what we look like in Oct....and what he did....he has been playing more out of the box this yr, or at times a pure rusher....so hard to tell where he is at in regards to losing a step....tho when we had turn overs and the defense flipped direction to run blocks...he didnt look like he lost a step in my opinion...still fast for a bigger body

47 minutes ago, Booch said:

They were also anticipating snap count....and at times to me looked early...U saw T.O switch up their cadences...and basically nullified them and caused some penalty issues

I'm not overly concerned with our aging guys on the O-line...a good tech sound O-lineman who hasn't had injury issues in career (Bryant never has...Yosh few if any) can play a long time...Biggie is the guy we need to be trying to groom a new guy....he has been fine so far...not a dominating difference maker, but I will let season pan out and see what we look like in Oct....and what he did....he has been playing more out of the box this yr, or at times a pure rusher....so hard to tell where he is at in regards to losing a step....tho when we had turn overs and the defense flipped direction to run blocks...he didnt look like he lost a step in my opinion...still fast for a bigger body

I think Biggie is gonna be the guy to let the office know when he's done, it'll give a good heads up and enough time to build and groom a MLB.

39 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Isnt O line coaching a really important part of Bomber oline success?

Coaching and continuity.

Some of those power plays they run off their base concepts aren't possible if you're bringing in a new guy every week like some places are out of necessity of injury or poor play.  Guys have to read the same thing to pull those inside trap blocks effectively.

40 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Coaching and continuity.

Some of those power plays they run off their base concepts aren't possible if you're bringing in a new guy every week like some places are out of necessity of injury or poor play.  Guys have to read the same thing to pull those inside trap blocks effectively.

For sure. You get a 5 man unit with lots of time together and they will probably be better than the sum of their parts. When you have all good parts, you then get a great OL. I can see, for that reason, Dobson and Eli getting some reps in there as the season goes on to start building that bond and give our regulars a little rest. It's a nice little luxury we have.

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Also, Yoshi not that old. Everyone always equates him with Stan but they are like 5 years apart in age.

Yeah for Oline Yosh just entered his prime yrs really...especially when as mentioned he playing with the same guys for pretty much 4..5 yrs now...Also same with Neuf...he a few yrs older but as a guard he is in same place...right in the thick of his prime yrs....once we got depth here, and didnt have to keep rushing him back early...cause we basically had to...he's been a rock

4 hours ago, Nolby said:

I think Biggie is gonna be the guy to let the office know when he's done, it'll give a good heads up and enough time to build and groom a MLB.

Not necessarily. I have noticed that significant injuries seem to age players quickly and Bighill has had a few.

33 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Not necessarily. I have noticed that significant injuries seem to age players quickly and Bighill has had a few.

has he had a significant injury tho?...I can't think o one

On 2023-07-04 at 8:49 AM, Stickem said:

I wish these commentators who call us 'old' would drop the b.s.......we are a mature club....With all of that maturity comes experience...I prefer to refer to  us as heavily matured with A LOT of experience

Or we could be Ottawa with all those kids playing. How's that working out for all the fans that love a youth movement. Funny how they're looking forward to a broke & old qb coming back thinking they'll start winning again. I have to be convinced Massoli is their saviour. 

On 2023-07-04 at 11:41 AM, BBRT said:

I agree - I think this game will be close. Calgary is getting some of their folks back and I am still not sure what our line up will look like. I think we will or should win however it will be a very close game IMHO.

We better be ready to stop the run. That RB they have now is better than Kadeem Carey. He hits the hole super fast & is explosive.