Game Day Thread - Lions @ Bombers. Week 3

JCon

I'm very unimpressed with BC this year and have never been a believer in VAJ. Maybe I'm off base and "they'll show us" or we have an off game in one or more phases, but I fully expect a resounding win for the home team. TBH I'm not even really nervous or anything. If everyone comes to play, we win in dominant fashion. We can't beat ourselves, though. BC sucks.

Bighill will be chowing down on VAJ all night. Plow through a crease and go after it.

Edited by blue_or_die

2 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Hello gang. 

If Oliveira is not Good To Dance, then I would like them to use Pigrome in some running plays. Maybe in some 2-QB packages? 

That's am interesting option...I would like to see us try that none the less

Interesting fact as well...we haven't lost a home game to a West division team since 2018...crazy....and don't see that streak ending today

Janarion Grant owned the Lions last year.

It started in Week 5 when he scored on a kick return at BC Place. The two sides played in Vancouver again in Week 19, and Grant took a punt 94 yards to the house to officially move past Keith Stokes for most return scores in franchise history.

You’d think the Lions would’ve learned after that, but they didn’t. The Rutgers University product made them pay once again, this time in the 2022 West Final at IG Field on a 92-yard punt return.

Their special teams coordinator Don Yanowsky left the team for the season owing to family reasons, leading to the Lions bringing in Mike Benevides as a special teams consultant. Benevides was the head coach of the Lions from 2012-14.

It goes without saying, but Benevides better have a solution to slow down the top returner in the league. Grant also found the end zone on an electric 92-yard punt return last week in Regina.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/2023/06/21/battle-of-the-unbeaten

1 hour ago, blue_or_die said:

I'm very unimpressed with BC this year and have never been a believer in VAJ. Maybe I'm off base and "they'll show us" or we have an off game in one or more phases, but I fully expect a resounding win for the home team. TBH I'm not even really nervous or anything. If everyone comes to play, we win in dominant fashion. We can't beat ourselves, though. BC sucks.

Bighill will be chowing down on VAJ all night. Plow through a crease and go after it.

I dunno, but VAJ led that epic comeback against us in 2019 when he played with Montreal.  We also traded Chris Matthews to Montreal just before that game.  That was tough to watch.   I wouldn't call VAJ elite level, but he can be very streaky.   

Regardless, hoping for a big W tonight to move to 3-0 and on top of the West where we belong.

12 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

I dunno, but VAJ led that epic comeback against us in 2019 when he played with Montreal.  We also traded Chris Matthews to Montreal just before that game.  That was tough to watch.   I wouldn't call VAJ elite level, but he can be very streaky.   

Regardless, hoping for a big W tonight to move to 3-0 and on top of the West where we belong.

He's not a bad QB by any means and he will burn us once or twice for sure........but that's kinda it, I think.

VAJ is one of the top 3 QB's in the league right now. Sadly, that's not saying much. 

Tonight, we play our first legit contender. 2nd or 3rd best team in the league. I expect them to put up a good fight. They have a good chance of winning if they can stop Grant, establish the run, & keep Collaros in the pocket. 

I’m sure the Boys will put BC in there please, again.

I to think we score early.

If Brady is out we will be fine with Johnny and McCrae thought that’ll prevent Fox from active roster which could have a negative effect on the D line.

Grant breaks another? Hmmm, likely

Looking forward to yet another entertaining night at the park!!

gulg gulg

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Hello gang. 

If Oliveira is not Good To Dance, then I would like them to use Pigrome in some running plays. Maybe in some 2-QB packages? 

It was interesting last game that Pigrome didn't see the field at all. I'm wondering if they are spending extra time developing him...slowly. Perhaps we see him tonight. Would be nice not to have Brown not doing the short yardage stuff.

27 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

VAJ is one of the top 3 QB's in the league right now. Sadly, that's not saying much. 

Tonight, we play our first legit contender. 2nd or 3rd best team in the league. I expect them to put up a good fight. They have a good chance of winning if they can stop Grant, establish the run, & keep Collaros in the pocket. 

yeh...From the first few weeks I'd say he has looked like qb #2 so far as he can pass and run....He is I think hot and cold...and his cold is reallllly cold.....Also not 100% sure about his ability to read a defense..tonight should be interesting

That good chance of winning is what most teams are trying to do....havn't had a lot of success in all phases of late....hope it continues

we're missing a LOT of key pieces, which will make this game closer than it should be. Thankfully they're missing Rhymes, as well, which is a massive blow to that offense. I expect Lucky to hurt again by half time. I still think we can win, but I really hate how many starting bodies we're missing...

37 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

lol...of course they do. Your GO LIONS hanky says so.  Lions are going to be scrapping for a playoff spot.

Edited by GCn20

Is there a shred of evidence that Collaros is ineffective when working from the pocket? That's a curious thing to say. Yes, we know he can be effective when scrambling and throwing on the run, but if Collaros is able to sit back in the pocket and pick and choose his spots...... he will absolutely slaughter you.