Game Day Thread - Lions @ Bombers. Week 3

JCon

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

they have had him vacated from the middle lots....moved up closer to the box....not sure why...but thats one reason...and also a reason it seems we been geting gouged in intermediate plays in middle of the field

Just let him play safety. 
Makes for an easy read in the red zone if no one is in the middle of the field. 

Overall I think the secondary all look like they are trying to cover too much ground and not trusting the others to be in their spots. Not that surprising since they haven’t all played together all that long. 

58 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

3 games into the season and Schoen has already taken a ton of punishing hits, I wonder if word has gotten around among league DC's that the best way to stop him, is to break him.  

One of them was such a cheap dangerous late hit on him. Bigger picture the 15 yard infraction for it benefited BC more than it did us. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Was a bad...out of sync off game all around....a smattering of poor play calling and scheme and a splash of poor roster make-up garnished with some injury issues...which are compounded by said poor roster makeup

I see once Lawson and Jeffcoat back...More Fox....Less Walker....more growth from Haba, Hansen back taking reps, and the ability to put an import elsewhere in place of Jackson (dline or DB) when Miller is back, a lot of the defensive issues may become non issues, especially if/when Wilson is back and back to old self....even tho in my opinion Clements has been least of the issues

Also...Parker back will be huge....Rose back will be huge...if he is finally 100 %...and the insertion of Mohamed as well will solidify things....Eliminating Schmeckle and Bennet right out of the mix, and majorly down sizing Fatboi's reps....we be golden

Not concerned about the offence at all....was an anomaly and not the norm

This debacle has been brewing for the past couple of games prior. The Bomber secondary has looked shaky from game one and was (IMO) against the Riders than against the TiCats and was almost completely inept last night. I have no explanation for how incredibly poorly the Bomber o-line played against even the Lions' three-man rush. It was like none of them had even met each other before gametime.

9 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Just let him play safety. 
Makes for an easy read in the red zone if no one is in the middle of the field. 

Overall I think the secondary all look like they are trying to cover too much ground and not trusting the others to be in their spots. Not that surprising since they haven’t all played together all that long. 

Coupled with the overall poor play of the DB's and as football is the ultimate team game, getting no consistent push upfront added to the misery.

40 minutes ago, Booch said:

Parker is a much better HB than Corner.....I think our best corner combo would be Rose and Houston...I would have said Rose and Lawrence but he has been hit or miss this yr...more miss than hit....now is it he is trying to lean over and help the HB too much...or is he just not producing for some reason...find it a bit puzzling because he is actually a good corner...sure we will get it sorted out tho when its crunch time...I'm more concerned with the interior D-LINE and the rotational end if Jeffcoat is just someone who we cant depend on when he gets back in line-up

It could be Lawrence rides the roller-coaster of a lack of confidence in his abilities, along with the added stress that continual competition for position brings. DB is one of the least secure positions on the team as every week somebody new seems to show up that could potentially take your job. On the Bombers that doesn't really happen as often in other positions, as most players have a better sense of job security once they become starters.

Lawrence went from the high of being the Ti-Cats rookie nominee in 2021, to the low of being cut by the club in 2022, so that suggests there may be a factor of inconsistency in his play.  I guess Steinauer could tell O'Shea exactly what went wrong if he thought to ask.

Edited by Fatty Liver

53 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This debacle has been brewing for the past couple of games prior. The Bomber secondary has looked shaky from game one and was (IMO) against the Riders than against the TiCats and was almost completely inept last night. I have no explanation for how incredibly poorly the Bomber o-line played against even the Lions' three-man rush. It was like none of them had even met each other before gametime.

Look at all the changes in DB personnel they've made in the last few years, it's almost continual. The coaching staff seems to fully understand the benefits of continuity along the O-line and within the receiver group, why is the secondary different?   BC just showed what continuity of veteran players in the secondary can provide,

Edited by Fatty Liver

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

One of them was such a cheap dangerous late hit on him. Bigger picture the 15 yard infraction for it benefited BC more than it did us. 

Exactly.  There's no need for that. The ball was well away from him, and he'd given up on the play because the play was over. Disrespectful, unnecessary, and not a football play. Maybe the league will look at it, but I doubt it. Ditto for all the late hits on Zach to start the game.

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Did I hear correctly last night that Jeffcoat is on the 6 game list, guy spends more time in the tub than on the field in the last 2 years.

Yeah, it’s concerning for sure.  Especially since our defense really relies on pressure to be successful and we all know how thin our ‘depth’ is there.  The DB’s just aren’t in good position and if the QB isn’t at least being somewhat disrupted, it’s trouble.  And we’ve really seen it these 1st 3 games.

3 hours ago, bustamente said:

Did I hear correctly last night that Jeffcoat is on the 6 game list, guy spends more time in the tub than on the field in the last 2 years.

6 game is revocable. So it only makes sense to put any one who will miss more than 1 week on it. If he misses 6 we get that portion of his salary back under the cap. Which in his case is probably 1.5 - 2 rookie imp base deals. But when you consider the time missed from the season it is a pretty solid 2 rookie imps or one decent league vet   

he does miss a lot of time. But especially with haba if he is healthy for the stretch run and play offs to platoon with Willy and Habba that’s the best case scenario. 

Pretty much the norm now putting guys right into the 6...wouldn't read too much into it.  And right now the reps and all the looks Haba is getting to see with all these reps is gonna pay off big for us...dude is legit...is averaging a sack a game right now...and is disruptive...if Jeffcoat comes back at 6 games or before and plays like Jeffcoat does ..that will be a good 3 man rotation along with Hansen joining the mix

Right now the Miller injury is hurting us because poor roster management is making us burn a DI on a fullback instead of another dlineman of actual usefulness or a db/linebacker...also with the receivers we have we could also use woli...bolo ..even Sheed in a blocking fullback role ..but we choose not to and would rather burn a DI...which we sorely could use in the defensive mix...

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Pretty much the norm now putting guys right into the 6...wouldn't read too much into it.  And right now the reps and all the looks Haba is getting to see with all these reps is gonna pay off big for us...dude is legit...is averaging a sack a game right now...and is disruptive...if Jeffcoat comes back at 6 games or before and plays like Jeffcoat does ..that will be a good 3 man rotation along with Hansen joining the mix

Right now the Miller injury is hurting us because poor roster management is making us burn a DI on a fullback instead of another dlineman of actual usefulness or a db/linebacker...also with the receivers we have we could also use woli...bolo ..even Sheed in a blocking fullback role ..but we choose not to and would rather burn a DI...which we sorely could use in the defensive mix...

Imagine how good the cheetah pack will be with the Jeff’s Habba and Hansen? Even the three with a nose like fox, yes please. Coach Brady up to do the situational fb duty and put Augustine in at tail. Or gauthier. Or even Bennett, he sure hasn’t been good on teams or D so far. Even boo and woli are big dudes. Woli has played a te in a few packages and is excellent blocking. 
 I like Jackson and we’ve done a lot worse with a di spot in the past. But with the thin depth we have now we need more value he either needs to be useful on D or miller Esq on kick cover. 
 Imagine if we did that, abused the designated Canadian like other teams and used a di on a guy like Mohamed? Instantly our depth is dramatically better. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Imagine how good the cheetah pack will be with the Jeff’s Habba and Hansen? Even the three with a nose like fox, yes please. Coach Brady up to do the situational fb duty and put Augustine in at tail. Or gauthier. Or even Bennett, he sure hasn’t been good on teams or D so far. Even boo and woli are big dudes. Woli has played a te in a few packages and is excellent blocking. 
 I like Jackson and we’ve done a lot worse with a di spot in the past. But with the thin depth we have now we need more value he either needs to be useful on D or miller Esq on kick cover. 
 Imagine if we did that, abused the designated Canadian like other teams and used a di on a guy like Mohamed? Instantly our depth is dramatically better. 

200 percent agree...Osh needs to suck up his Canadian pride and utilize the rule

And yeah..we have many options to do the fullback role...Johnny could too...Miller isn't a big guy so it's not like it's a size issue...it's a know your role/job issue...it's just a matter of what's been mentioned...piss poor roster management and use of players...and total lack of foresight on what should be on the PR

And I like what u said in regards to Gauthier..he'd be a phenomenal bruising fullback...yet...we just waste a DI spot on a guy with the same body type..and minimal CFL experience..heck...football exp in general 

That cheetah set was super effective and would prob be better with the Jeff's and Haba/Hansen then it was before

We have the pieces and the talent to totally change things and be way more effective...it's up to the coach to actually do it.

45 minutes ago, Booch said:

200 percent agree...Osh needs to suck up his Canadian pride and utilize the rule

And yeah..we have many options to do the fullback role...Johnny could too...Miller isn't a big guy so it's not like it's a size issue...it's a know your role/job issue...it's just a matter of what's been mentioned...piss poor roster management and use of players...and total lack of foresight on what should be on the PR

And I like what u said in regards to Gauthier..he'd be a phenomenal bruising fullback...yet...we just waste a DI spot on a guy with the same body type..and minimal CFL experience..heck...football exp in general 

That cheetah set was super effective and would prob be better with the Jeff's and Haba/Hansen then it was before

We have the pieces and the talent to totally change things and be way more effective...it's up to the coach to actually do it.

Yeah just hard headed stubbornness and a bunch of I don’t know what coming before on field quality. 
 Gauthier is a strong dude and Briggs is smaller but crazy explosive. 
 I’d even try Dobson as a nose in defensive goal line packages. Tons of versatility options to off set our depth. 

16 hours ago, Tracker said:

I never shut off the game when the Bombers play but I did last game. Hard to believe there are legit reasons for such a bad showing.