CHAMPS vs. Flappers - early thread

Mark H.

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If he's playing well why would he retire?

Father Time is undefeated, and Wally Buono became very successful with the attitude of “better a year early than a year late” when moving on from players. But Bryant has earned the right to retire on his own terms as much as anyone. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Father Time is undefeated, and Wally Buono became very successful with the attitude of “better a year early than a year late” when moving on from players. But Bryant has earned the right to retire on his own terms as much as anyone. 

If he does retire then his replcement is probably playing on another team right now. 

Totally off topic but I feel the need to share this because I've been drinking heavily. 

For those of you who don't know me, I've been a die hard bomber fan since I was 10 years old. My family used to sell mini donuts at canads. 

At 13 I was posting on ourbombers pretending to know wtf I was talking about lol 

In grade school and into high-school my friends ****** with me all the time and cheered against the bombers just to see me get pissed off. I'm 29 now. 

My friends are die hards of the leafs and oilers. I told them today;

**** you, the bombers are nearly a dynasty and I hope the leafs and oilers don't win a cup until the year after they die.

It was awesome.I meant it. Go bombers 

Oh and the riders are ******. That makes me happy too

Edited by CodyT

9 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Totally off topic but I feel the need to share this because I've been drinking heavily. 

For those of you who don't know me, I've been a die hard bomber fan since I was 10 years old. My family used to sell mini donuts at canads. 

At 13 I was posting on ourbombers pretending to know wtf I was talking about lol 

In grade school and into high-school my friends ****** with me all the time and cheered against the bombers just to see me get pissed off. I'm 29 now. 

My friends are die hards of the leafs and oilers. I told them today;

**** you, the bombers are nearly a dynasty and I hope the leafs and oilers don't win a cup until the year after they die.

It was awesome.I meant it. Go bombers 

Oh and the riders are ******. That makes me happy too

You tell 'em!!!  Way to go!!

10 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Bryant is having an all star season, maybe even most outstanding lineman caliber season. If we Wally him after this season we are idiots. I am sure that Walters is acutely aware that Stan is getting up there and will have his replacement ready to go when he is done but anyone suggesting that this is an urgent matter based solely because of his age is out to lunch. Unless Stan tells us he's hanging them up, there is NO reason to believe that he can't continue to be outstanding beyond this year and that we should be looking for his replacement urgently.

35 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Bryant is having an all star season, maybe even most outstanding lineman caliber season. If we Wally him after this season we are idiots. I am sure that Walters is acutely aware that Stan is getting up there and will have his replacement ready to go when he is done but anyone suggesting that this is an urgent matter based solely because of his age is out to lunch. Unless Stan tells us he's hanging them up, there is NO reason to believe that he can't continue to be outstanding beyond this year and that we should be looking for his replacement urgently.

yup...he least of worries....and he will retire here when "he" feels it's time....and I more than fine with his yr to yr contracts

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Guy does not miss games and is the best in the league/at minimum the best LT ever.

Zero hurry to see him leave, confident he will not leave the Bombers in a bad spot.

Yea...plus father time is a lot kinder to OL than any other position. The drop off tends to come over years, not year to year. Stan is still playing at the best in the CFL level. Even if his game drops a notch next year because of age it won't be a big pronounced drop off. If he turns into the second best OL in the league next year I can live with that.

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I think the Wally Buono dumps players before they drop off angle is far over used and over exaggerated here.

I think Wally Buono being able to recruit HOF QBs was a much larger factor in his success then his ability to cut a player.

Didn't Andrew Harris end up here because Wally thought his best days were behind him and he wasn't worth his salary anymore? Wally moving on before a drop off has benefitted us other times too with FA's coming here and helping stabilize us for a period that we needed them.

#66 better be retired after the GOAT decides to walk away. If anyone cuts him, I'll have to burn IGF down...sorry just the rules....I don't make em.

Seriously though, he is realistically in the top 3 for all time bombers? He was the 1st big signing from the mafia. Came here to build a legacy...there have been other great players. But not a single one of them were part of a run like Stanley's. Not only personal accomplishments...but team and organization too. Truly a GOAT among GOATs

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I think the Wally Buono dumps players before they drop off angle is far over used and over exaggerated here.

I think Wally Buono being able to recruit HOF QBs was a much larger factor in his success then his ability to cut a player.

I agree. There were times when Wally made the correct read and turfed guys just in time, but he also got bit in the butt on numerous occasions by cutting guys who still had a lot of game in them.

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Hypothetically, Bryant goes down for 6 games, how do they handle that assuming Couture is back in at Center?

We put someone else at LT and carry on. Same as every other position. We have guys on our roster/PR for that. Will there be drop off? Of course. How could there not be? Nobody loses a Stan Bryant and is able to replace them with anything remotely close to what he brings. If we had a guy like that on our roster, he would be starting somewhere else. All we can hope for is that we find someone who can fill in adequately.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I agree. There were times when Wally made the correct read and turfed guys just in time, but he also got bit in the butt on numerous occasions by cutting guys who still had a lot of game in them.

We put someone else at LT and carry on. Same as every other position. We have guys on our roster/PR for that.

Great plan!!!.....you're fired.

6 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Great plan!!!.....you're fired.

What answer were you expecting or hoping for? That we have inside info into what the Bombers would do when replacing the irreplaceable. The plan for replacing Stan will not be as good no matter what.

6 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Got a couple merican oline on the pr? Maybe try Gray? Would be a huge dropoff no matter what we did.

I'm not sure what options he was hoping for? We try who we have and airlift in/trade if we need to do so and probably have zero shot at replacing him with somebody as good as him. It's like asking what our plan would be if Collaros went down. Our plan would be next man up and make moves if that doesn't work.

Edited by GCn20

On big Stan:

It’s not a debate - he’s still elite and getting paid appropriately but reasonably. Unless he tried to stay after his play dropped off, there’s not going to be a reason to move on from him.

On his replacement:

Going year to year is fine - but obviously doesn’t let us train his replacement in-house. But like others have said, the most likely replacement is probably on another team and we lure them away after his retirement.

On when that tragic day comes:

Im sure Stanley considers retirement each off-season at this point. We have an amazing thing going on right now and I think that our older vets probably talk about this as a group. To keep it going as long as they can. I think that once one decides to retire or there’s a drop off, we might see a domino effect of retirements.

On Wally:

Wally was certainly cut-throat, but obviously isn’t perfect on his decisions. I am less certain that he thought Harris was done than he simply didn’t want to make him the highest paid RB while committing to national at the position. It was the perfect thing for us to do at the time, though.

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

Didn't Andrew Harris end up here because Wally thought his best days were behind him and he wasn't worth his salary anymore? Wally moving on before a drop off has benefitted us other times too with FA's coming here and helping stabilize us for a period that we needed them.

Nope. Wally offered the same as we did. Harris wanted to play at home.

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

On big Stan:

It’s not a debate - he’s still elite and getting paid appropriately but reasonably. Unless he tried to stay after his play dropped off, there’s not going to be a reason to move on from him.

On his replacement:

Going year to year is fine - but obviously doesn’t let us train his replacement in-house. But like others have said, the most likely replacement is probably on another team and we lure them away after his retirement.

Im sure Stanley considers retirement each off-season at this point. We have an amazing thing going on right now and I think that our older vets probably talk about this as a group. To keep it going as long as they can. I think that once one decides to retire or there’s a drop off, we might see a domino effect of retirements.

On Wally:

Wally was certainly cut-throat, but obviously isn’t perfect on his decisions. I am less certain that he thought Harris was done than he simply didn’t want to make him the highest paid RB while committing to national at the position. It was the perfect thing for us to do at the time, though.

Given we have 3 american OL on the practice squad (and Richmond on the 6 game), I think that's exactly what we are trying to do. Of course, nobody is going to be big Stan. But it appears the team knows that Bryant isn't going to play forever.

3 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Given we have 3 american OL on the practice squad (and Richmond on the 6 game), I think that's exactly what we are trying to do. Of course, nobody is going to be big Stan. But it appears the team knows that Bryant isn't going to play forever.

We have 4 OT on the PR/Injured list. One with CFL journeyman experience, and 3 highly decorated Div 1 recruits. Not sure what else we could possibly do. Nelson, Witt, or Richmond could be the next Bryant for all we know and with luck we won't need to find out anytime soon. You can't prepare to perfectly replace a Stan Bryant but it doesn't mean we don't have a perfectly capable replacement in-house already.

14 minutes ago, Jesse said:

On big Stan:

On his replacement:

On Wally:

Yea...Harris was simply Wally wanting to go IMP at RB instead of tying up big dollars on Harris. He may have offered Harris the same as Winnipeg did but only after he knew full well that Harris was moving on.

25 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

What answer were you expecting or hoping for? That we have inside info into what the Bombers would do when replacing the irreplaceable. The plan for replacing Stan will not be as good no matter what.

I'm not sure what options he was hoping for? We try who we have and airlift in/trade if we need to do so and probably have zero shot at replacing him with somebody as good as him. It's like asking what our plan would be if Collaros went down. Our plan would be next man up and make moves if that doesn't work.

I'm looking for a specific solution that can be cobbled together from players currently on the roster, because there's always the chance Bryant or any other player could go down hard tomorrow.   Expecting to pick up a competent LT mid-season or pluck one off another CFL team is pie-in-the-sky-techno-colour-Rideresque dreaming.

Offhand I would slide Grey to LT and move Kolankowski or Lofton in as his replacement.

On the PR they 4 OL, plus Drew Richmond on the 6 game who may be the heir apparent as they keep trying to get a look at him at LT.

Anyone know anything about these guys?

Eric Lofton (A)

Tomoya Machino (G)

Ryan Nelson (A)

Tyler Witt (A)

Edited by Fatty Liver

9 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I'm looking for a specific solution that can be cobbled together from players currently on the roster, because there's always the chance Bryant or any other player could go down hard tomorrow.   Expecting to pick up a competent LT mid-season or pluck one off another CFL team is pie-in-the-sky-techno-colour-Rideresque dreaming.

Offhand I would slide Grey to LT and move Kolankowski or Lofton in as his replacement.

On the PR they 4 OL, plus Drew Richmond on the 6 game who may be the heir apparent as they keep trying to get a look at him at LT.

Anyone know anything about these guys?

Eric Lofton (A)

Tomoya Machino (G)

Ryan Nelson (A)

Tyler Witt (A)

Specifically, they probably go Lofton at LT or RT until Richmond is ready as he seems to be the heir apparent. Machino is not likely to ever start, but Nelson and Witt both have impressive college resumes. Alternatively, they could go Gray at LT/RT and move Kolankowski to OG when Couture returns but most coaches are not high on changing 3 positions on the OL to replace one guy if it can be avoided, plus Lofton has CFL experience at LT.

Edited by GCn20