CHAMPS vs. Flappers - early thread

Mark H.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Doesn't really apply to sports injuries for professional athletes.  Otherwise the gaming industry would be ruined.

It's more teams being careful with guys who are likely to return to play without being fully recovered.

Rich has a compelling point. Laws have evolved. Professional athletes are employees. The CFL is not in existence for the benefit of the gaming industry, imo. 

50 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

In order to make a bet, what is the difference if the player has a lower body injury or a sprained ankle, and will not play. The specifics of an injury become irrelevant if the player ain’t going to play. The club should know what the specific injury as they have a role in managing it and the recovery. For a fan to know it’s a lower body injury, a sprained ankle, or a broken third toe with a pulled muscle in the ankle and with complications to the knee and calf, really doesn’t help be a better fan or gambler imo. Further, when unrelated disease or mental help issues arise, stuff that Carrie’s significant stigma, it really is not a fans business. The club should know though and keep it private.
The other thing is, players don’t need to claim mental anguish by having teams announce injuries. Through the development of privacy laws, Players have a right to some degree of a private life. Most people shouldn’t have a problem respecting that. IMO. 

You don’t tell your boss you have a Venerial Desease and they don’t have a right to know for a brief absence. Yet they have a right to know when your coming back. It’s very similar to players as they are employees, high profile employees and celebrities in many cases, but you don’t need pry and blab about their weaknesses. IMO 

with that theory, now you know. 

Okay, Thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it.

I just remember the days when the Bomber Head Coach, be it Jim Spavital, Bud Riley, Ray Jauch or even Cal Murphy would be asked a question about one of their injured players & they'd say, "So & so has torn knee ligaments. Out for the season".  Or there'd be a press release that would say, "_________ has a separated left shoulder & is expected to miss the next 6-8 weeks". As Bob Dylan sang, "For the times, they are a changing", Guess I gotta get with the program. FIFO. 

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Okay, Thanks for the explanation. Appreciate it.

I just remember the days when the Bomber Head Coach, be it Jim Spavital, Bud Riley, Ray Jauch or even Cal Murphy would be asked a question about one of their injured players & they'd say, "So & so has torn knee ligaments. Out for the season".  Or there'd be a press release that would say, "_________ has a separated left shoulder & is expected to miss the next 6-8 weeks". As Bob Dylan sang, "For the times, they are a changing", Guess I gotta get with the program. FIFO. 

I’d guess there were juicy bits of information that even they would keep away from the public as well. 

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

Rich has a compelling point. Laws have evolved. Professional athletes are employees. The CFL is not in existence for the benefit of the gaming industry, imo. 

Yup, privacy laws do pertain to athletes as well.  When the UFC first came here in 2013, they released next to no information as to why some fighters received medical suspensions following the event because of this.