CHAMPS vs. Flappers - early thread

Mark H.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

I kinda hope we stop using Janarion as a receiver. He’s not very good

No kidding.  Especially when there's a guy like Harrison who's a big body who can probably at least draw coverage to more routes to open up the field for everyone else even if he's not going to be a big producer.

One thing I've noticed on watching/rewatching is that Grant does not run much variety of routes, crosser, out, sit down curl.  That's it.  The coverage is right on his hip all the time.  He can't get open and he's not a threat to go deep, just kinda out there.

We do need Grant to play some so that it's not completely obvious when he's out there to run a sweep or get a quick screen, but it's not every play.

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

I kinda hope we stop using Janarion as a receiver. He’s not very good

I wish we’d use him in limited sub packages. Get the ball into his hands in a quick easy way and give him some blockers. But have an actual wr take the wr snaps. 

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

No kidding.  Especially when there's a guy like Harrison who's a big body who can probably at least draw coverage to more routes to open up the field for everyone else even if he's not going to be a big producer.

One thing I've noticed on watching/rewatching is that Grant does not run much variety of routes, crosser, out, sit down curl.  That's it.  The coverage is right on his hip all the time.  He can't get open and he's not a threat to go deep, just kinda out there.

We do need Grant to play some so that it's not completely obvious when he's out there to run a sweep or get a quick screen, but it's not every play.

I think the balance with grant could come from not just being the gimmick guy but as misdirection. He can easily freeze some defenders and draw a guy away from the play side on various runs and screens. Very much like what demski does at times. Though to be honest mcgrae can do every thing on offense that grant can. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I wish we’d use him in limited sub packages. Get the ball into his hands in a quick easy way and give him some blockers. But have an actual wr take the wr snaps. 

I think the balance with grant could come from not just being the gimmick guy but as misdirection. He can easily freeze some defenders and draw a guy away from the play side on various runs and screens. Very much like what demski does at times. Though to be honest mcgrae can do every thing on offense that grant can. 

Yeah either one of those guys needs a role.  Can't just run them on the field for a play when they are going to get a sweep and run them off.  Grant did nothing on those sweeps until he was in the game regularly and teams couldn't key on him.  But they either need to carve out a role for him as a receiver or limit his usage a bit more, especially when we have different options on the roster.  So much RPO stuff we could run off McCrae in the backfield with Oliviera that would open up the field for run or pass.

19 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Damn- Are we on our third string Safety?

Both hallets were injured too. 3rd 4th its pretty crazy. 

16 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yup but only 2 more games left i imagine. You gotta figure Alexander will be good to go after our bye. Mid-August will be 8+ months since his injury.

hope so. Also hope he’s able to get back to where he was in reasonable time too. With ba kyrie and imp quality back up dt and de our defense goes from stingy with points to terrifying. 

for nfl cuts I’m hoping we find a good imp nose tackle. If we get kongbo back that’d be huge too. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

WildGregariousGyrfalcon-max-1mb.gif

I just hope he lasts long enough for the als to get blown out.  Would rather our D not have to spend half the game playing a back up they haven't prepared for. 

I wonder when the last time a trevor harris lead team beat the bombers in a meaningful game...

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If we are going to play him at least let him take the top off the defence every 2nd or 3rd play. Even if we never throw him the ball it would at least be useful.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

If we are going to play him at least let him take the top off the defence every 2nd or 3rd play. Even if we never throw him the ball it would at least be useful.

Not really because he has no chance to win a 50-50 ball.  He'll have to be wide-open to be a threat on a vertical route.  The DB doesn't have to sit on top of his routes they can run with him and under him, and he's not like a Weston Dressler or Don Narcisse where he can be a little guy but win with technique/route running.  Using Grant as a regular receiver is a turnover waiting to happen.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Not really because he has no chance to win a 50-50 ball.  He'll have to be wide-open to be a threat on a vertical route.  The DB doesn't have to sit on top of his routes they can run with him and under him, and he's not like a Weston Dressler or Don Narcisse where he can be a little guy but win with technique/route running.  Using Grant as a regular receiver is a turnover waiting to happen.

He can still draw coverage away from other routes by taking the top off. I mean they can't let him just go without someone at least covering him. Not suggesting we actually throw him the ball. Sitting down in curl routes does nothing to help our offence at all. 

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I just hope he lasts long enough for the als to get blown out.  Would rather our D not have to spend half the game playing a back up they haven't prepared for. 

I wonder when the last time a trevor harris lead team beat the bombers in a meaningful game...

Trevor Harris was a good QB at one point, now he fears contact so the question is moot. Trevor Harris can only beat us if his OL has the game of their lives because once we hit him it's game over.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He can still draw coverage away from other routes by taking the top off. I mean they can't let him just go without someone at least covering him. Not suggesting we actually throw him the ball. Sitting down in curl routes does nothing to help our offence at all. 

They'll stay in range but they'll have their eyes into the backfield and jump other routes.  That's my point.  He's not really a threat as a receiver, maybe if he had burner speed.  One thing they could do is run him on a vertical route as the third receiver to one side with the other two routes being posts after he motions across like he would for a sweep to try to open him up wide-open for a bomb to the sideline.

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They'll stay in range but they'll have their eyes into the backfield and jump other routes.  That's my point.  He's not really a threat as a receiver, maybe if he had burner speed.  One thing they could do is run him on a vertical route as the third receiver to one side with the other two routes being posts after he motions across like he would for a sweep to try to open him up wide-open for a bomb to the sideline.

I always looked at Janarion as a burner, but I could be wrong. But yea, something like what you suggested would work just fine. Putting a tiny receiver that runs sloppy, telegraphed routes doesn't help at all. Just saying, there's gotta be a better way to use him as he just essentially a decoy anyway.