CHAMPS vs. Flappers - early thread

Mark H.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

My guess would be Hardrick would flip to LT and Lofton would come in at RT.

If it was mid-game, Hardrick would flip to LT, Gray to RT and Dobson in at guard.

Yea...that's a strong possibility for sure. Unless Nelson, or Witt are flying under the radar or Richmond comes off the 6 game that is the most likely scenario. Although, they may just insert Lofton at LT and keep Yoshi where he is to create minimal disruption.

Richmond will prob get every opp to win the LT spot when big Stan hangs em up....Hardrick gonna stay put...That being said we may have another guy we looking at as well who isn't in system yet, and trying his luck down south....or, like others said...when time comes we dip in free agency and go after the best LT available

23 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I believe Harrison is in the lineup because we don't have any Canadian backup receivers.  I wonder if we would look at signing Mike Jones as a backup who was released by the Elks. 

why was Jones released?  Because he wouldn't play on the OL?

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I think the Wally Buono dumps players before they drop off angle is far over used and over exaggerated here.

I think Wally Buono being able to recruit HOF QBs was a much larger factor in his success then his ability to cut a player.

yeah Wally really called the drop off of Harris' career all right...lol...

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yea...that's a strong possibility for sure. Unless Nelson, or Witt are flying under the radar or Richmond comes off the 6 game that is the most likely scenario. Although, they may just insert Lofton at LT and keep Yoshi where he is to create minimal disruption.

It looks like Lofton has been kicking around the CFL since 2017 between the RB's and the Elks but he's only played in a handful of games and has never been a starter.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

It looks like Lofton has been kicking around the CFL since 2017 between the RB's and the Elks but he's only played in a handful of games and has never been a starter.

You could have said the same thing about Yoshi before he came here - Stints in BC and SSK  where he didn't show enough to keep a spot.

Just now, BomberfanMKS said:

You could have said the same thing about Yoshi before he came here - Stints in BC and SSK  where he didn't show enough to keep a spot.

Yah, I wasn't disparaging Lofton, I was just pointing out his history.  If they brought him in, maybe they liked what they saw or maybe he's just a convenient gap filler on the PR who has no future.

Just now, johnzo said:

wasn't there some animosity there about Harris' role?  like maybe Wally didn't see him as an undisputed RB1?  seem to recall something like that.

Yep, Wally liked to rotate his RB's, Harris had to share reps. with Stefan Logan for a few years.  I think one part of the agreement in coming to Wpg. was A.H. got a say in how much he played, and he wanted to play every down.

30 minutes ago, johnzo said:

wasn't there some animosity there about Harris' role?  like maybe Wally didn't see him as an undisputed RB1?  seem to recall something like that.

Harris was offered a contract, But Wally B wanted to pay him more as a role type player, and not as a RB1 type guy...and AH disagreed with the assesment, and coming home to WPG where he would be the guy was a no brainer slam dunk

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Harris was offered a contract, But Wally B wanted to pay him more as a role type player, and not as a RB1 type guy...and AH disagreed with the assesment, and coming home to WPG where he would be the guy was a no brainer slam dunk

In all fairness as good as Harris was in BC he was even better in Winnipeg. 4 out of his best 5 years were with Winnipeg. 

Harris still has gas in the tank....mind you it's a little diluted to due to age but he can still bull rush the middle....I think T.O. is making an error in not using his pass catching ability more often....He still has real good hands and if he gets into open territory ...look out.....I'm sure Andrew misses the quality of O Line he had here BUT he still shows flashes even with the inferior argo big men up front.....We won't miss his game once Brady O's game matures a bit more.....hell we don't miss Harris as much as I thought we would right now

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Yea, we got him off the scrap heap but that is how we got Hardrick too. End of the day, Lofton is probably better than anyone the Riders are rolling out at OT.

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Yah, I wasn't disparaging Lofton, I was just pointing out his history.  If they brought him in, maybe they liked what they saw or maybe he's just a convenient gap filler on the PR who has no future.

He's a journeyman emergency replacement until Richmond or one of the other rookies get their feet wet a bit.  There is a big shortage of quality OTs, so this is about as good as it gets.

Edited by GCn20