CHAMPS vs. Flappers - early thread

Mark H.

One change I’d like to see…let’s get Harrison/McCrae with more reps on O and let Grant focus on returning kicks.  Suppose if Ellingson is back it’s a moot point.

Grant doesn’t add much to O as an every down player, don’t mind mixing him in.  Seems like his returns are down when he takes more snaps on O.  Also let’s get a look at Harrison and McCrae in live action when the stakes aren’t too high for us.

Harris is a good matchup for us.  Can’t remember which of the analysts said it but at this point the only way to beat the Bombers D is big plays.  Like you gotta hit 3-4 big TD plays in a game.  Montreal did this to us in 19, but there’s no way they are doing it with Harris who can’t make those throws.  He might throw for 400 yards but it’ll be for 1 TD and 5 FG attempts.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

One change I’d like to see…let’s get Harrison/McCrae with more reps on O and let Grant focus on returning kicks.  Suppose if Ellingson is back it’s a moot point.

Grant doesn’t add much to O as an every down player, don’t mind mixing him in.  Seems like his returns are down when he takes more snaps on O.  Also let’s get a look at Harrison and McCrae in live action when the stakes aren’t too high for us.

I agree with all of this. If they’re not going that route, why is Harrison even in the lineup? 

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I agree with all of this. If they’re not going that route, why is Harrison even in the lineup? 

We must dress but not use dis on offense. It is the law. seriously though maybe he’s just not up to speed on the play book and cfl rules and they want the extra body because we are soo thin at wr? 
 We make strange roster decisions some times. I would think Harrison being able to stretch the field could open  up a lot for schoen underneath him and the run game. Maybe he isn’t a good enough blocker at this point? That’s pretty important among all our wrs. Even grant has to block when he’s in. 

39 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yeah I’d add another DL or OL if we’re not going to use him at all.  Put one of those American OL in and use him as a 6th/7th guy in the front to really beef up the run blocking in some sets.

26 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We must dress but not use dis on offense. It is the law. seriously though maybe he’s just not up to speed on the play book and cfl rules and they want the extra body because we are soo thin at wr? 
 We make strange roster decisions some times. I would think Harrison being able to stretch the field could open  up a lot for schoen underneath him and the run game. Maybe he isn’t a good enough blocker at this point? That’s pretty important among all our wrs. Even grant has to block when he’s in. 

That’s the thing.  Even if Harrison isn’t super nuanced you’d think he can play 20 snaps a game from the exact same spot in formation and run a fly/post/corner to draw some coverage to him and maybe get isolated where Collaros can put one up for him.

They kept the guy in a competitive training camp and he’s been practicing all season so he must be of some use.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Harris is a good matchup for us.  Can’t remember which of the analysts said it but at this point the only way to beat the Bombers D is big plays.  Like you gotta hit 3-4 big TD plays in a game.  Montreal did this to us in 19, but there’s no way they are doing it with Harris who can’t make those throws.  He might throw for 400 yards but it’ll be for 1 TD and 5 FG attempts.

Yeah, MBT & the Argos proved it again yesterday - 340 yards through the air - but still a loss. Some teams just can't convert when the opposing D tightens up. 

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah I’d add another DL or OL if we’re not going to use him at all.  Put one of those American OL in and use him as a 6th/7th guy in the front to really beef up the run blocking in some sets.

Good idea, they need to determine who Stanley's permanent replacement will be before the end of this year IMO.  They can't wait for his retirement announcement in the off-season to take them off-guard.

21 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That’s the thing.  Even if Harrison isn’t super nuanced you’d think he can play 20 snaps a game from the exact same spot in formation and run a fly/post/corner to draw some coverage to him and maybe get isolated where Collaros can put one up for him.

They kept the guy in a competitive training camp and he’s been practicing all season so he must be of some use.

Yeah I get it. That’s about all I can think though. That or the blocking. But then bucks offense and usage can be really uninspiring at times. 

53 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Good idea, they need to determine who Stanley's permanent replacement will be before the end of this year IMO.  They can't wait for his retirement announcement in the off-season to take them off-guard.

Stanley will let them know for sure well in advance...and well before the masses hear about it....they way he playing ...again this yr, and if he stays injury free....I can see him back next yr....he goes yr to yr...and he hasn't regressed a single bit...if anything he looks better than last yr, and looks to have more spring in his step...he's having a blast so why quit....on a different note tho...last game we almost lost him for the yr on first play of game when he was on sidelines, with back to play....that could have been ugly

19 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If we get ANY pressure on Harris he folds and we usually do very well.    I think the only way we lose this is if our D really takes the night off and gives Harris time in the pocket.  

The Cats got plenty of pressure on him last week. I was quite surprised to see him hang in there the way he did. 

Yeah Montreal needs to play a compete game..all phases...error free...and the most disciplined game of the year...and have us make tons of mistakes...have a parade of penalties and drop a total stinker of a performance to have a chance....can't see that all occuring....and I see headed home for Aug 11 game shooting for 10-0 with close to a sellout...

Edited by Booch

10 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Fully agree. We've been using two DI spots on offensive players who haven't touched the ball, or may not have even stepped the field (Harrison). I know we need to use those roster spots in case a receiver goes down but it would be great if we could give them some reps.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

In case of receiver injury is the only think I can think of. 

6 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

he's out in front of ball carriers on runs around the end.... guy can move. not fair to bowling pins trying to get  in his way. 

not sure he did that in past seasons..

Edited by Mark F

10 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He took some big hits against Calgary 

6 hours ago, Booch said:

Stanley will let them know for sure well in advance...and well before the masses hear about it....they way he playing ...again this yr, and if he stays injury free....I can see him back next yr....he goes yr to yr...and he hasn't regressed a single bit...if anything he looks better than last yr, and looks to have more spring in his step...he's having a blast so why quit....on a different note tho...last game we almost lost him for the yr on first play of game when he was on sidelines, with back to play....that could have been ugly

Yeah when he got rolled up on I was cringing big time! 

Agree with the rest as well

11 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Two teams moving in opposite directions

The Untouchables vs. the Dumpster fire

One thing is certain, not even the Als will be taken lightly, by the FIFO organization

#forthew

Yeup. Two teams headed in opposite directions. Another reason the Bombers are successful. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Yeah Montreal needs to play a compete game..all phases...error free...and the most disciplined game of the year...and have us make tons of mistakes...have a parade of penalties and drop a total stinker of a performance to have a chance....can't see that all occuring....and I see headed home for Aug 11 game shooting for 10-0 with close to a sellout...

Looking at your list of requirements:

1) “compete” is definitely do-able, “complete” is possible (maybe 50/50)

2) “all phases” - difficult

3) “error free” - unlikely

4) “disciplined” - on a scale, with “zero” being “no chance” and “10” being “guaranteed”, I’d ask if I could use negative numbers. This is where it falls apart for them

5) “us have mistakes” - as last year’s West Final showed, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, so it is a tiny bit possible even with our usual ball protection offence, but even those errors were not enough to derail us in that game

6) “parade of penalties” - we are the anti-Montreal in terms of discipline, so us melting down seems quite unlikely (and Montreal also being super-disciplined at the same time seems like a pipe dream)

7) “total stinker of a performance” - the great equalizer here. Short week, back-to-back on the road, coming off the emotional high of winning in Calgary, and for all the brilliance of an 8-0 record, this teams has somewhat played to the level of it’s opponent all year. Our best 2 games have been against the supposed powerhouses, and there have been warts in the others that have been the subject of discussion here. O’Shea has been great with getting buy-in with his “we are trying to go 1-0 this week” mantra, but have we truly walked in as strong favourites and buried a lesser team all year? 

Add it all up and I agree I can’t see it happening, especially since even if we stink Montreal has to play inspired ball at the same time. Would like to see a follow-up performance from us after a big win over Calgary that does not resemble the Elks game, though. 

O’Shea will always publicly say they did enough to win.  Honestly the different phases showing up to win in different ways is huge character building and valuable situational experience.  Give me the team that knows how to roll when the going gets tough every time.  If it was Madden football every week, I can see a team being psychologically weak at the first bump in the road.

Edited by BigBlueFanatic