Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

MBT bashing on here is pretty lame - the guy played pretty well last year with an OC who completely miscast Derel Walker and bungled their run game

Chamblin was again in over his head and out of his mind.

Same thing happening - if MBT put up those numbers with us, we'd be clamouring to sign him... because he's not a Bomber he's a bum and Streveler is the 'next one'... ha

MBT might be a flake but he very much plays a Buck Pierce style of game - I'd have no complaints if he ends up here

2 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

I can't see MBT being on Walters radar at all.

It's one of Nichols/Collaros then Strev as 2b all the way dependent on the NFL for Strev. Both Nichols/Collaros have shown they do one thing here - win.

Management almost never waiver when they have a surefire competitive team to field on paper. It's fun to speculate, but magic beans almost never get traded for established players.

The problem with that is in no way can you depend on either collaros or nichols for a full season, and we streveler isnt ready to start that many games a year yet. 

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

MBT is more than a flake. He's straight up looney tunes. Have no use for a personality like that on a MOS team...

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/argos-mcleod-bethel-thompson-stating-case-to-remain-a-no-1-qb

"Bethel-Thompson is among the most respected players on the Boatmen because he’s always fighting and leading the team, right up until the final whistle."

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They were rudderless because of Chamblin & Chapdelaine. The 2 supposed leaders who couldn't lead & it filtered down thru the assistant coaching ranks to the players. I have no idea if Ryan Dinwiddie can lead.  The good ship Argo has so many leaks that duct tape won't solve the problem. Only a complete overhaul will do. 

I heard from a source that Dinwiddie has some good connections!  

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The problem with that is in no way can you depend on either collaros or nichols for a full season, and we streveler isnt ready to start that many games a year yet. 

Why isn't Streveler ready to start yet? Cuz Lapo made him a gimmick? I dunno personally think when he was allowed to be a QB and not just a Fullback.. He looked good. Sure looked good throwing TD strikes to Harris in the Grey Cup. 

Id rather go Streveler and Mcguire cuz recycling washed up injured Vets aint the answer long or short term. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Why isn't Streveler ready to start yet? Cuz Lapo made him a gimmick? I dunno personally think when he was allowed to be a QB and not just a Fullback.. He looked good. 

He was okay, not great!  But I think he needs a full offseason to study and further develop his game.  He's gotta break out of that "run first" mentality if he's going to have any kind of a lasting career in this league.

4 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

He was okay, not great!  But I think he needs a full offseason to study and further develop his game.  He's gotta break out of that "run first" mentality if he's going to have any kind of a lasting career in this league.

Was it a run first mentality...or was it something they seen he was good at and planned some of the offence with it ?

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Why isn't Streveler ready to start yet? Cuz Lapo made him a gimmick? I dunno personally think when he was allowed to be a QB and not just a Fullback.. He looked good. Sure looked good throwing TD strikes to Harris in the Grey Cup. 

Id rather go Streveler and Mcguire cuz recycling washed up injured Vets aint the answer long or short term. 

You seriously recommending they go with streveler and McGuire as our QB combo next season?  

That’s a bold move that could cost someone their job. 

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Was it a run first mentality...or was it something they seen he was good at and planned some of the offence with it ?

In games where he was the starter before Collaros got there, especially down the stretch in late September, you could see that he was starting panic quicker when he didn't see an open option quickly and went right into run mode.  Very similar to when Nichols couldn't find someone and would just check down.   What Streveler needs to develop in his game is that he is very mobile, and rather than just taking off like a running back, he's got the capability to move the pocked and create space and time for his receivers.  We saw Collaros do it and it worked great!  Just an element to Streveler's game that needs some work, because the upside is absolutely there!

40 minutes ago, Goalie said:

That washed up injured vet helped win us a Grey Cup. As he proved to a lot of people, ZC is not ready to be written off just yet.

Streveler needs to develop his passing game and make quicker/better reads. I think he's a better passer than most around here give him credit for, but he knows he can pick up 1st downs with his feet, so he uses that part of his game too often. When things break down, Nichols throws the ball away and Streveler goes for a run. Nichols has zero chance of making a first. Streveler has a pretty good chance of making a first.

I wouldn't be happy with Streveler/McGuire because it's too much risk having just two young guys with Streveler being the vet. I'd be happiest with Arbuckle/Steveler as both have shown promise. I expect Nichols/Streveler which is OK I guess, but I'd prefer Collaros/Streveler if we go vet/youngun.

Streveler just needs to be put in a normal QB situation, and not in a trick/gimmick/run rpo based scheme

He would flourish with reps in that system, has ability to be evasive in pocket and move around when pressure is there to extend plays, or take off when all breaks down, or he sees an opening.

His running would be even  ore lethal once hi is in that scenario as teams won't/can't cheat on anything. He has the arm to make all the throws with steam on it...I watched him his first day here when mini camp was on and he couldn't participate, but he worked out after with some receivers going through all the different routes, as well as target practice into the net from different spots on the field and made them all with ease, and was very accurate.

I wondered who the heck this guy was because it was before anyone had heard the name Chris Streveler and he hadn't been signed yet, but you could tell he was skilled

We can only speculate on the game plans when Streveler was starting. But it was noticeable and kinda odd that they rarely moved the pocket for him. It looked like Lapo just continued with the Nichols lead offence after that initial Edmonton game. I agree with the posters who are saying his passing game is under-appreciated. He can throw some darts into tight spaces, and his deep ball has connected a few times right on the money. Can it improve? Of course, but he's far from being a run only QB.

I'd like to see him behind a vet again for another season, but getting some decent reps each game that are more then just run or had off to Harris. Move the pocket for him, getting him rolling out with options to throw. Of course he does need to get more comfortable in the pocket as well, but that will come with time (ideally). 

In terms of QB for next year. I'm good with either Nichols/Strev or Collaros/Strev. Do not want to see Arbuckle/Masoli/MBT here though. Just too many uncertainties with all 3 for me. Saying that, I have a feeling Strev will find a spot on an NFL squad. Which isn't horrible as I am really interested in seeing what Mcguire can do if he gets more game time.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

We can only speculate on the game plans when Streveler was starting. But it was noticeable and kinda odd that they rarely moved the pocket for him. It looked like Lapo just continued with the Nichols lead offence after that initial Edmonton game. I agree with the posters who are saying his passing game is under-appreciated. He can throw some darts into tight spaces, and his deep ball has connected a few times right on the money. Can it improve? Of course, but he's far from being a run only QB.

I'd like to see him behind a vet again for another season, but getting some decent reps each game that are more then just run or had off to Harris. Move the pocket for him, getting him rolling out with options to throw. Of course he does need to get more comfortable in the pocket as well, but that will come with time (ideally). 

In terms of QB for next year. I'm good with either Nichols/Strev or Collaros/Strev. Do not want to see Arbuckle/Masoli/MBT here though. Just too many uncertainties with all 3 for me. Saying that, I have a feeling Strev will find a spot on an NFL squad. Which isn't horrible as I am really interested in seeing what Mcguire can do if he gets more game time.

therin is the rub..I think skill set wise, and watching what each can do in practices that McGuire is the best "all around" guy, and has the best arm....just needs to learn the game and get experience...I bet if he got tossed to the wolves and had to start a string of games, that he would show enough., and learn quickly enough to make it hard to get him off the field

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I doubt a gimpy QB gets a long look in NFL.  I think Streveler will be back. I don't get the interest in Arbuckle and Masoli. Is Masoli going to be available to play at the beginning of the season? Has Arbuckle shown so much as a starter? I know The Argo's have been mismanaged but there clearly was no confidence in MBT. He would put up big numbers in a game and might not start the next or he would throw a crippling int. 

Strev I know has stated he wants a legitimate opportunity to grow and establish himself as a successful QB, and he has a great chance to do it here, he'd be a gimmick there and would wash out in short order in that role, and have no true QB development whatsoever

He's a smart kid, and his best bet and one I am sure he considers is to get a few more years up here and become what most think he can be, then parlay that here into a nice salary and being a big fish in a smaller pond, as I really enjoys and revels in the limelight and attention he would get...If he doesn't get an offer with a nice bonus and a guarantee that he's gonna be a legit QB option and not some camp arm, or gimmick guy I can't see him signing down south..He loves it too much in the Peg and the CFL

15 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

I doubt a gimpy QB gets a long look in NFL.  I think Streveler will be back. I don't get the interest in Arbuckle and Masoli. Is Masoli going to be available to play at the beginning of the season? Has Arbuckle shown so much as a starter? I know The Argo's have been mismanaged but there clearly was no confidence in MBT. He would put up big numbers in a game and might not start the next or he would throw a crippling int. 

Hes not trying out for this year and if it's not a serious injury (which I'm assuming its not) I dont see that being much of an issue. Otherwise why invite him at all? I can see someone taking a shot with him.

Just my gut feeling that he will be down there for a bit anyway. Also got feeling that the bombers sign Collaros and not Nichols.

Edited by Bigblue204