Cut Down Day - - Wild Assed Guesses (WAG System)

BigBlue

Whether it means anything or not, after yesterday’s cuts the total number of Internationals on offence on the active roster who are original Walters finds is four. And it’s not a particularly impressive group (Foketi, Bennett, Streveler and Thompkins)

4 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Whether it means anything or not, after yesterday’s cuts the total number of Internationals on offence on the active roster who are original Walters finds is four. And it’s not a particularly impressive group (Foketi, Bennett, Streveler and Thompkins)

Murphy/ Jones brought Bennett into the league. He was a training camp cut a year ago

Just now, Ripper said:

I guess I never paid attention to where he came from when he arrived at camp. I just assumed we brought him in from the USA somewhere.  I'm sorry, I was wrong

Either way, I hardly want to count him. He’s not long for the league at this point. 

15 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yeah thats a head scratcher. I literally heard nothing about him during camp or the games, except for his crack back penalty last night. Not sure what they see in him over guys like White and Coney that actually stood out at times.

I'm still amazed that was a penalty... I get when it's way behind the play, it's dangerous... buy the guy he hit was still very much in the chase to get the runner... I didn't see anything other than a good block...

I thought one of Tompkins or Randle would make the team but I was a little surprised it was Tompkins... they both showed the ability to win a one on one battle for a td... that's a skill we desperately will need with a rookie (ish) qb chucking the ball...

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

I'm still amazed that was a penalty... I get when it's way behind the play, it's dangerous... buy the guy he hit was still very much in the chase to get the runner... I didn't see anything other than a good block...

Last year that play was legal but this year it's not.  A player can no longer be upfield then come back towards the line of scrimmage to block like that.  Here's the change in the rule:

illegal for any player to deliver a forcible block on an opponent while moving back towards his own goal line, sometimes referred to as “blindside” blocks.

36 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Murphy/ Jones brought Bennett into the league. He was a training camp cut a year ago

As usual a rider fan doesn't know **** about the league outside of Saskatchewan. 

Jones scooped him from the Bombers. The only move that guy has is grabbing people from better teams. 

52 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Not very good and this shows poorly on Walters and the scouting staff. The verdict is still out on whether this team has improved or regressed overall this year.

Very interested to see how these first 6 games go, when the team does not have the capacity to score 40 points each game just to keep it close.

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

It's not a huge number but since we are going more Canadian on offense, there's less need/room for imports on that side of the ball this season. 

Other than Lankford, is there another import on offense you could see getting replaced by a rookie?

Sometimes, maybe most of the time, veterans from other teams deliver more value than raw rookies who have such a huge learning curve ahead of them ... isn't Bighill a better acquisition than training Gause? I think Walters has finally figured it out what Cal Murphy knew for years: veterans are better than rookies. We were able to pick a bunch of BC guys when there was a rush for the door and we got the pick of the litter in at least 3 cases. Now if we can just convince Bond to be reasonable and remember there is no place like home or should I say the system and playbook you have personally mastered ... Bond obviously had trouble with Regina's playbook and the playmates beside him ... he will have to adjust wherever in the league he goes .... I guess a more modest paycheque from home may be more in the long rum than the allure of big but sometimes temporary money being dangled before a youngster's eyes.

To be fair there are only 12 internationals on the roster on offence so 4 players is one third of the total group.

1 hour ago, TheSource said:

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Not very good and this shows poorly on Walters and the scouting staff. The verdict is still out on whether this team has improved or regressed overall this year.

Very interested to see how these first 6 games go, when the team does not have the capacity to score 40 points each game just to keep it close.

Except that Walters was also able to sign FA. Fairly established FA too. This team never needed to find 7 or 8 rookies to bring on. Does it matter how many guys are finds by Walters? Is that what people count at the end if the day?

2 hours ago, AKAChip said:

It does and it doesn't - there are 6 Canadian starers on offense this year.

36 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Except that Walters was also able to sign FA. Fairly established FA too. This team never needed to find 7 or 8 rookies to bring on. Does it matter how many guys are finds by Walters? Is that what people count at the end if the day?

In my view, Walters' strengths have been as follows:

1. International OL: in previous years, you wondered why they bothered burning an import spot

2. Effective Young Canadians: Chungh, Goossen, Loffler, Demski

3. High impact FA acquisitions: Harris, Bowman, Dressler, Medlock, Bryant