Cut Down Day - - Wild Assed Guesses (WAG System)

BigBlue

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Montreal Alouettes:

Mitchell Bell (I), OL, Louisiana Tech
Ryan Brown (I), DL, Mississippi State
Marcel Caver (I), WR, Winston-Salem State
Xavier Fulton (I), OL, Illinois
Jordan Harris (I), LB, Louisiana Tech
Tim Lukas (I), WR, Illinois
Lawrence Okoye (I), DL, London Whitgift
Cameron Posey (I), WR, Purdue
Emmett Tims (N), FB, Saskatchewan
Quinn van Gylswyk (N), K, UBC

LOL. Kavis being Kavis.

18 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Anthony Parker and Randy Colling will be good depth  pickup.

Not sure if Colling is better than Ekakitie though.

Parker is an enigma. He'll drive Bomber fans crazy if he came here. He can look like a great receiver one play & the worst the next. He has all the talent but he wastes it by being inconsistent & even disinterested. He lasted 7 seasons in Calgary because of his birth certificate. I have heard that he has a very good career going in Calgary. He doesn't want to leave the city so he may have played his last game of football. The one guy I'd like to see brought in is Bakari Grant. 

21 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

In my view, Walters' strengths have been as follows:

1. International OL: in previous years, you wondered why they bothered burning an import spot

2. Effective Young Canadians: Chungh, Goossen, Loffler, Demski

3. High impact FA acquisitions: Harris, Bowman, Dressler, Medlock, Bryant

I don’t necessarily agree on point one. Bond is literally the only guy his own scouting staff has brought in. Hardrick and Bryant shouldn’t fall under that category. 

Point two is fair but that’s certainly not something I’m arguing against. 

Point three is fair as well though I would argue that paying for free agents is the easiest part of a GM’s job. The scouting work is already done on these guys and teams don’t generally win based on the strengths of their free agent signings solely because it’s generally not a cost effective way of building. 

I’m far more interested in building a competitive roster. There are far more considerations in building a roster taking into account what scouting has provided, the timing and availability of said players, and what else is already available in free agency. Does it really matter that we can brag that Walters found “Joe left tackle” or that we scooped up an all-star like Bryant?

Say what you will, but this roster we have now looks to be one of the best in the last decade, home grown or not. That’s really all we should care about.

9 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I don’t necessarily agree on point one. Bond is literally the only guy his own scouting staff has brought in. Hardrick and Bryant shouldn’t fall under that category. 

Point two is fair but that’s certainly not something I’m arguing against. 

Point three is fair as well though I would argue that paying for free agents is the easiest part of a GM’s job. The scouting work is already done on these guys and teams don’t generally win based on the strengths of their free agent signings solely because it’s generally not a cost effective way of building. 

Its only not cost effective when you're engaging in bidding wars over the top guys.

You're counting guys like Flanders, Hardrick, and Darvin Adams as free agent signings but they didn't come at big free agent price tags.  They broke out after arriving here.  Even Matt Nichols himself came cheap.  You could make arguments for Bryant, Bowman, and Dressler being high priced acquisitions but that is just three guys.  I think that's okay.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Its only not cost effective when you're engaging in bidding wars over the top guys.

You're counting guys like Flanders, Hardrick, and Darvin Adams as free agent signings but they didn't come at big free agent price tags.  They broke out after arriving here.  Even Matt Nichols himself came cheap.  You could make arguments for Bryant, Bowman, and Dressler being high priced acquisitions but that is just three guys.  I think that's okay.

You’re absolutely right and that’s why I prefaced my statement by saying that I’m not sure if it means anything but to me, finding talent new to the league has been a struggle for the entire Walters regime. 

1 minute ago, Jpan85 said:

Walters has also brought in guys like Bowman and Bighill without over paying and getting them to sign team friendly deals.

I’m not ready to call the Bowman signing a great one just yet. It very well could be but he’s 32/33 coming off his worst season as a pro. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Except that Walters was also able to sign FA. Fairly established FA too. This team never needed to find 7 or 8 rookies to bring on. Does it matter how many guys are finds by Walters? Is that what people count at the end if the day?

If the bombers win a grey cup with players brought into the league by other teams... it doesn't count... don't you know that??... it's also a rule that only applies to the bombers...

For a really fair assessment, you'd have to compare Walters' "original finds" to every other GM in the league. That would give you an indicator of how well each GM finds original talent - and then also look at how those guys are playing in the CFL. It would seem really hard to quantify.

Walters' has had his fair share of misses, but overall, I still think our scouting has come a long way. I think GMs can sometimes have 'blind spots' - positions they continually struggle with. For instance, Walters and new American WRs. 

So many of these guys bounce around several teams and then find the right fit (opportunity, coach, scheme, etc). We obviously want to bring in our own talent, but a large portion of the roster will always have players that tried out elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, bearpants said:

If the bombers win a grey cup with players brought into the league by other teams... it doesn't count... don't you know that??... it's also a rule that only applies to the bombers...

Its the yankees rule about TRUE yankees. And its also idiotic. 

On our DL, he brought in poop and jeffcoat right? and a few guys this year that could well end up starting on other teams. 

Jsk. bond and hardrick he salvaged from other teams scrap heaps into all stars so they dont count. 

Loffler, chungh, goosen, the massive amount of talent we suddenly have at ni WR, corney, etc also dont count though. Cus its not like he took the worst NI depth in 20+ years and turned it into an elite group of NI talent, and that isnt the same as us guys. 

We cut better import players then some teams bring in.  

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Parker was cut?  Woah!

last year we'd a been chomping at the bit to sign him. Good player he is gonna catch on some place. Maybe the riders. 

2 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I say we should have kept Rueben Randle and axed Lankford.  That move shoulda been a given considering Randle did way more with the ball thrown his way than the dud RL.

Id a kept randle and white around on the pr. With the injury history of demski, dressler, and adams + the drops/bad year last year by bowman Id rather be stocked up at WR then any other position right now.

I also would have kept monty. 

13 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I’m not ready to call the Bowman signing a great one just yet. It very well could be but he’s 32/33 coming off his worst season as a pro. 

This is true, and bowman has always been a guy who misses a lot of passes. BUT he is the perfect red zone fit for us. And we dont need him to go for 2k yards. 

3 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Either way, I hardly want to count him. He’s not long for the league at this point. 

This coaching staff barring somehow getting V Adams on this roster would certainly be better off investing in him and Streveler as perhaps our number 2A and 2B QBs cuz imo, Ross is another Willy who fails to make big passes or generate big plays down the field.  It's him who should be exiting quick.

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Last year that play was legal but this year it's not.  A player can no longer be upfield then come back towards the line of scrimmage to block like that.  Here's the change in the rule:

illegal for any player to deliver a forcible block on an opponent while moving back towards his own goal line, sometimes referred to as “blindside” blocks.

Yeah I know, understand the rule change... I just think it's stupid... the option is now let this DE crush my QB or take a penalty...

2 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

This coaching staff barring somehow getting V Adams on this roster would certainly be better off investing in him and Streveler as perhaps our number 2A and 2B QBs cuz imo, Ross is another Willy who fails to make big passes or generate big plays down the field.  It's him who should be exiting quick.

1, remember pre injury when willy was throwing us back into games and leading us from behind to wins? 2 far too soon to call ross any one or any thing. 3 far too soon to compare him to some one who is primarily remember for playing with shell shock. 

Just now, bearpants said:

Yeah I know, understand the rule change... I just think it's stupid... the option is now let this DE crush my QB or take a penalty...

I feel the same way. And mentioned in the game day chat that If i am that player and its my qb / star player gonna be lit up Ill take the penalty. From a coaching stand point its a penalty id accept being taken every time too. 

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The thing I like about Walters is that he is open to all avenues for improving the roster.

The CFL is ever changing, a GM can't simply adhere to methods of the past, he has to use all the tools at his disposal to build and maintain a competitive team. Hufnagel seem reluctant to adapt to the use of the F.A. market but if the Stamps fall off to 3rd place this year and fail in the playoffs again he may begin to change his mind.

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

1, remember pre injury when willy was throwing us back into games and leading us from behind to wins? 2 far too soon to call ross any one or any thing. 3 far too soon to compare him to some one who is primarily remember for playing with shell shock. 

Perhaps a better comparison then would be with another Alex aka that low ceiling and bad armed Alex Brink dude.  Sorry but I don't see Ross as having that capability to do the no 1 on your list with his risk-averse mentality.  And yes Willy getting hit too much likely led to playing in shell shock, not to mention the bad Bellefeuille offense, but his indecisiveness is definitely there with Ross.  And I'm not going to buy that his lack of big plays sits on Lapo when Streveler and Bennett chucked the ball down field.

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Ida kept randle and white around on the pr. With the injury history of demski, dressler, and adams + the drops/bad year last year by bowman Id rather be stocked up at WR then any other position right now.

No I'd go further and give Randle an AR spot with the understanding he may need to be switched out once in a while when the ratio must be maintained.  We definitely have a few WRs currently there like Lankford who aren't cutting it.

11 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Player safety, those crack back blocks can be very dangerous, Nik Lewis absolutely destroyed a few players who never saw him coming.

3 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Perhaps a better comparison then would be with another Alex aka that low ceiling and bad armed Alex Brink dude.  Sorry but I don't see Ross as having that capability to do the no 1 on your list with his risk-averse mentality.  And yes Willy getting hit too much likely led to playing in shell shock, not to mention the bad Bellefeuille offense, but his indecisiveness is definitely there with Ross.  And I'm not going to buy that his lack of big plays sits on Lapo when Streveler and Bennett chucked the ball down field.

From what the 10 or less regular season reps and 3 quarters of pre season or less? Still too soon. 

Willy wasnt indecisive. He was check down happy. Behind a porous OL you almost never have a chance to be indecisive. Which again, ross was dealing with as well in the last pre season game behind our team 3 OL. 

Bennett chucked up one of the worst deep balls in history and got bailed out by a wr. Bot of them also played against BCs team 2 and lower.