Cut Down Day - - Wild Assed Guesses (WAG System)

BigBlue

http://3downnation.com/2018/06/11/felix-menard-briere-joins-redblacks-refusing-pr-spot-bombers/

Went to the PR on the Redblacks.  Feels there is better opportunity there.

Winnipeg drafted Ménard-Brière in the fourth round of last year’s CFL draft. He spent the first part of last season on the Bombers’ practice roster before reporting to the Carabins for his final season of USports eligibility.

Ménard-Brière has since joined the Redblacks’ practice roster, a team with whom he feels he is more likely to win the kicking contest.

32 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I meant on the injured list. No sacrificing involved.

It really is a shame he wouldn't accept the P.R. position, but I don't blame him. I'm sure he'll be picked up soon.

Except then he would be getting paid to do nothing since he can't practice for the first 4 weeks.

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

Our pr wasn't good enough??.....kind of a flakey move...At any rate he is closer to home and maybe stands a better chance of starting...Oh well....back to the well and bring in the next Medlock....How is Ryan doing down south....LOL

I'm pretty sure geography played a role in his decision. Ottawa is only a couple of hours away from his hometown, so that probably made the decision easier.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Being behind Medlock assures him that he only gets on the roster in case of injury.

In Ottawa?  He is behind Lewis Ward, a raw Canadian rookie.

Ward may lose his job by missing a few kicks.  Medlock won't. 

Richie Leone is there as well but he's an import.

18 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

We're going to have DB's on special teams whether Fogg is returning or they are covering kicks.  

Yep, but that still doesnt help the returner spot.

18 hours ago, BigBlue said:

"the PR doesnt help you in game. You may have noticed we cut branning and conteh. We will likely have 4 starters + the sam + loffler, +1 DI on the game roster. + morgan/jones."

I am not sure about Morgan but Jones is pretty good ... could be a starter on another team either at safety or CB ... and that is what the cfl is all about Cdns backing up internationals

Imo morgan is a good player with plenty of up side. But the drop off from one of our imps in coverage and morgan is big. 

Jones is starter quality imo, but if we play him as a corner in nickle/dime situations we suddenly dont have a back up S any more. If he or loffler got hurt we'd lose that or be in even bigger ratio trouble. 

18 hours ago, Goalie said:

Just a reminder for ppl who say " I'd have put him in the PR "  

Cant blame the guy. Thanks for sharing. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When they signed Eric Rodgers someone had to go so it was Parker.  At least that's what is being speculated.  A 7 year Canadian veteran receiver doesn't come cheap.

7 years already for parker? feel like he was picked just a couple years ago. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Cant blame the guy. Thanks for sharing. 

7 years already for parker? feel like he was picked just a couple years ago. 

2011 draft... same as Jade Etienne, Marco Iannuzzi and Nate Coehoorn... all first round picks.  Parker is last man standing.

Brad Sinopoli was 4th round in that draft, and Feoli-Gudino was 5th round.  Go figure.

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Richie Leone is there as well but he's an import.

Leone does punts and kickoffs but not field goals.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

2011 draft... same as Jade Etienne, Marco Iannuzzi and Nate Coehoorn... all first round picks.  Parker is last man standing.

Brad Sinopoli was 4th round in that draft, and Feoli-Gudino was 5th round.  Go figure.

Leone does punts and kickoffs but not field goals.

I remember us passing on parker and being sad about it. I thought coehoorn would have been better as well. 

Sinopoli converted from qb yeah? The most successful wr drafted in a long while too. 

Still like JFG too. Blood n guts football player. 

4 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Owens is washed I think. He didn't look that good last year. 

I think he is burned out as a WR. But I think he could still have juice left just as a return man. As important as speed/quickness is (which diminishes with age and he has certainly lost a bit) The ability to read blocks, consistently get under and catch punts and use angles correctly is more important. 

Maybe he is too far gone even for for just returning kicks. But Id still take a look, if he was healthy and cheap. (I am biased, I was a fan of his since his hawaii days) 

20 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Being behind Medlock assures him that he only gets on the roster in case of injury.

In Ottawa?  He is behind Lewis Ward, a raw Canadian rookie.

Ward may lose his job by missing a few kicks.  Medlock won't. 

Being behind Medlock is not appealing if the kid wants to play. Not everyone just wants to sit and not play. I can respect a player wanting to get ahead.

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I remember us passing on parker and being sad about it. I thought coehoorn would have been better as well. 

Sinopoli converted from qb yeah? The most successful wr drafted in a long while too. 

Still like JFG too. Blood n guts football player

Looks like Petermann will continue in that tradition, I hope he's well constructed as he's going to add a lot of rough and tumble.

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Being behind Medlock is not appealing if the kid wants to play. Not everyone just wants to sit and not play. I can respect a player wanting to get ahead.

I agree with that, Id worry more about a guy who doesnt wanna play. That said a bit more seasoning with medlock would probably have done him some good. Either way I think he is gonna be a good K/p in this league. 

9 minutes ago, Ripper said:

And he's going to sit on the PR in Ottawa. 

I can understand why (not) playing closer to home is better than not playing here but learning from one of the GOATs has value too. 

33 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Where did you see this, I saw no mention of P.R.? 

https://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2018/06/11/transactions-june-11-2018/

The Ottawa REDBLACKS of the Canadian Football League made the following roster transactions:

ADDED TO PRACTICE ROSTER

• National kicker Felix Ménard-Brière
    Height: 5-11 | Weight: 179 LBS | Birthday: February 6, 1993 (25)
    Hometown: Sainte-Agathe-Des-Monts, QC | School: Montreal

Ménard-Brière was selected 34th overall by Winnipeg in the 2017 CFL Draft. He was named to the 2016 All-Canadian First-Team as a punter after leading USports with a 42.4-yard average.

RELEASED

• National offensive lineman Jacob Cjaza (St. Francis Xavier)

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

And he's going to sit on the PR in Ottawa. 

I can understand why (not) playing closer to home is better than not playing here but learning from one of the GOATs has value too. 

Far better chance he works his way onto the active roster there though. Wouldn't you agree?  How likely was he to unseat Medlock anytime soon?