Cut Down Day - - Wild Assed Guesses (WAG System)

BigBlue

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Well apparently contrary to popular belief, you DON'T gotta have Faith

A George Michaels fan eh. 

And I am not necessarily blaming Walters for the wasted pick on Faith.  Who knows what happened,  Faith didn't live up to some expectation is all I think. 

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Faith never surpassed the level of Jake Thomas so no point keeping him forever just because.

Montgomery I guess just too many other good guys at the position. Betting they asked him to take a pr spot but he declined.

Yeah... Montgomery is probably tired of being on PRs.  He was a 3rd round pick in the NFL in 2013 and has been on NFL and CFL PRs ever since.  That's five years without a single pro game played.

I'm going to start by saying I am pissed off we kept a bum like Lankford over actual receivers. He is a terrible receiver and frankly if you don't want to put a guy on your roster at season's end when you have injured receivers and you put a guy on ahead of him that you release before camp, well come on.

Surprised we cut Randle and Montgomery.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

I'm going to start by saying I am pissed off we kept a bum like Lankford over actual receivers. He is a terrible receiver and frankly if you don't want to put a guy on your roster at season's end when you have injured receivers and you put a guy on ahead of him that you release before camp, well come on.

Surprised we cut Randle and Montgomery.

Lankford is still the best kick returner they have, he has the right attitude and he's progressing as a receiver.  I don't think there's any more to it than that.

But that’s where it comes down to recognizing what you’re scouting for as a team. Why bring in a guy if he’s not going to supplant a veteran and his best shot is a role you know he won’t accept?

i mean, from what we can see (which obviously isn’t everything) he couldn’t really have done much more in camp.

Lankford.

What can you say? He’s doing all he can do to fit somewhere, anywhere on the Bomber’s roster, including studying all the positions in Lapo’s offence so he can fill a role. And he’s producing - top receiver in Friday’s game. And I certainly wasn’t impressed with any returner in that game. 

I really don’t care for all the reasons NOT to like Lankford, you have to admire his grit and thinking to recognize he can have a role to play, and, apparently he had a very good camp. 

As lomg as he produces, he can catch with his helmet for all I care, welcome back to the club. Nobody beat you out..

15 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Lankford is still the best kick returner they have, he has the right attitude and he's progressing as a receiver.  I don't think there's any more to it than that.

How many imports take 4 years to "progress" as a receiver? Not an elite returner either.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

None of the candidates proved they were better, so what can you do?  Want to wait on Roy Finch???

I would argue that two preseason games isn’t enough to tell that. Especially since you really can gauge return ability in practice very well. Lankford was terrible last year as a receiver and aside from a couple big returns, average as a returner. And guys at his age and point in his career don’t get any better. 

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

None of the candidates proved they were better, so what can you do?  Want to wait on Roy Finch???

Well scouting better would be a start. I'd honestly have gone with one of the young challengers myself. At least there is upside. Plus honestly Lankford's returns are a product of scheme in my opinion. McDuffie was acutally 3.2 YPR better in 2016 than Lankford but magically regressed last year in Ottawa.

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Well scouting better would be a start. I'd honestly have gone with one of the young challengers myself. At least there is upside. Plus honestly Lankford's returns are a product of scheme in my opinion. McDuffie was acutally 3.2 YPR better in 2016 than Lankford but magically regressed last year in Ottawa.

Well McDuffie appears to be currently available so problem solved I guess, someone ought to let Walters know.

I'm surprised at how many import DB's they kept on the PR and that both Conteh and Branning aren't on there.

White dropped his way off the roster, but still surprised they didn't keep him or Coney as a backup shifty possession guy.  After years of not having the bigger bodied receiver that's all we have at import other than Dressler (I don't view Lankford as a legitimate option to play receiver for us).  I hope the Canadians, especially Petermann, get a huge chance to take on a significant role.

Lankford can't reliably return punts, so he's on the roster for kickoffs again.  Waste of a spot.

Sucks about Ekakatie.  Still wish Walters would have traded down.  That 2017 draft sucks something awful, could have traded down pretty far and maybe added a pick or two down the road and still come away with a similar quality player.  The best CFL players picked in that draft so far were picked in the third and fifth rounds.