Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?

Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Streveler Going To Be A Successful Walters Home Grown QB?

• Yes
    • No

11 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

One preseason game, but 10/10 looks pretty damn good, and I'd certainly take him to backup Nichols over Ross.  Hopefully he's not simply another Robert Marve, but if he's not in injury troubled, I think we just might have our insurance guy just in case anything happens to Matt.

Maybe BF to Sept 15th.  I really hope he's that good but next week BC will probably be a better test. 

Just now, USABomberfan said:

Maybe, but the number 2 QB spot should not, and I hope will not be handed to Ross on a silver platter.  Just cuz he has 1 year in the league already does not mean the job should be his or be the prohibitive favorite.  Solid blocking up front or no, Streveler sure didn't seem to let the moment get to him.

It won't be handed to Ross, Streveler was much better than Ross last night. I just would temper some of the expectations given the circumstances.

Yup gotta show it against the actual lineup of the teams we play...that being said our "other" guys before we tried to develop 9 looked like crap generally against the same type of lineups in previous years..so a bit of optimism is warranted.

Strev looked confident and aware out there as well..a good sign regardless of his opponent.  And like I said in a different post that competition he just faced is better than any he has ever played against and bnbhe fared well..so another positive thing especially as that was his intro into Canadian ball

51 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yup gotta show it against the actual lineup of the teams we play...that being said our "other" guys before we tried to develop 9 looked like crap generally against the same type of lineups in previous years..so a bit of optimism is warranted.

Strev looked confident and aware out there as well..a good sign regardless of his opponent.  And like I said in a different post that competition he just faced is better than any he has ever played against and bnbhe fared well..so another positive thing especially as that was his intro into Canadian ball

the poise is the thing that makes me the most optimistic about him. Guy who shows the ability to make reads and throws in a game is worth a lot more than a guy who can look like dynamite in practise but can't process the game when there's the chance he's gonna get cranked by the other guys. 

The coaching staff needs to decide if we are going to give Streveler a serious opportunity to be the 2nd string qb despite coming straight out of Compton.... errr College.   If they feel like there's no way they're are going to put a rookie in that role then I don't think he should get any reps in the next game. Nichols should play at least a quarter and give Ross and Bennett the rest of the game. However, if they would be open to having Streveler as the backup then I'd give him heavy reps in the game because every rep is gonna be valuable in getting him ready to potentially start games later on in the season.  At this point, I hope we keep 4 qb's around. Bennet with his injury would be easy to put on the injured list so he doesn't take a dev spot away from one of many individuals who deserve a job which isn't available. 

20 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The coaching staff needs to decide if we are going to give Streveler a serious opportunity to be the 2nd string qb despite coming straight out of Compton.... errr College.   If they feel like there's no way they're are going to put a rookie in that role then I don't think he should get any reps in the next game. Nichols should play at least a quarter and give Ross and Bennett the rest of the game. However, if they would be open to having Streveler as the backup then I'd give him heavy reps in the game because every rep is gonna be valuable in getting him ready to potentially start games later on in the season.  At this point, I hope we keep 4 qb's around. Bennet with his injury would be easy to put on the injured list so he doesn't take a dev spot away from one of many individuals who deserve a job which isn't available. 

If they weren't going to give him a serious chance do you think they would have split the reps between he and Ross like they did? If he wasn't in serious contention for the spot he'd have got some token minutes at the very end of the game like Edmonton did with their 3rd qb. 

They have to play Nichols & the first unit to get them primed for the season opener. How long they do that for is up to LaPo & MOS. I'm sure they want to see if Streveler is a one game wonder & if Ross can bounce back. I'm not a believer in protecting your starting qb so much that he doesn't play. Nichols has to play & he will. So will the other guys, Colin.

37 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Pretty sure that is not the case, and being a CFL rookie does not eliminate you from being 2nd in line in the backup QB spot.  I probably wouldn't ever make a rookie QB the number 1 guy, but that's not what is going on here.  Behind Nichols, everyone is unproven IMO when it comes to CFL action, and barring Edmonton releasing/trading Glenn during the season, or some other proven backup QB lateral move, we aren't likely to have QB on our roster outside the backup crew we already have.

Hopefully Nichols stays uninjured all season.  But if we did have to call in the backup, I'd have no problem with him being a rookie, especially if he gets Lapo's playbook.

6 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Nichols versus Streveller,   I think its a good thing.  After all, God needs the devil. The Beatles needed the Rolling Stones. Even Diane Sawyer needed Katie Couric. Will Streveller be our Katie Couric?

No. He's much taller, for one thing, although not as good-looking.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

If they weren't going to give him a serious chance do you think they would have split the reps between he and Ross like they did? If he wasn't in serious contention for the spot he'd have got some token minutes at the very end of the game like Edmonton did with their 3rd qb. 

I hope you're right... I've just been disappointed more often than not when we've had a promising young QB in camp who plays well but ends up not being given an opportunity to advance.  

52 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I hope you're right... I've just been disappointed more often than not when we've had a promising young QB in camp who plays well but ends up not being given an opportunity to advance.  

generally the guys who get shafted are when a regime change happens. Other than that there really haven't been a lot of guys been shafted at all because not many of them have shown a hell of a lot to start with. 

3 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Could it be? Could he finally be the first scouted and developed successful QB that weve uncovered since Danny McManus?!?! God i hope so.

Rigmaiden probably found him haha

Edit: I thought you were bashing McManus' qb scouting (which I agree with)

I'll show myself the door

Edited by Dr Zaius

12 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

And Streveler is younger than he was coming into the league IIRC.

And btw, I don't think it's too early to get excited about a backup.  I mean really, we're not talking about a starter.  This team is Nichols's and will remain such hopefully for a long time.  But I've had the belief we can put out our own groomed QB into the market like Collaros or the aforementioned Franklin, and Streveler sure looks like a good bet to do it.  Just hopefully we'll have him a couple seasons as the injury insurance policy 

I'm sure we'll soon find the hand of Streveler reaching for the Beaufort sea...