Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?

Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Streveler Going To Be A Successful Walters Home Grown QB?

• Yes
    • No

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Name me the last "promising" young qb who got shafted?

Well shafted isn't necessarily what happens all the time.  You might have a case like Robert Marve where he didn't get shafted per se, but it was still one of those cases where when he first got here you had the fan base excited about him only to see it not work out.  Hell I remember some fans were saying at the time they wanted him to start over Willy.

As to Elliott shafted, well yes and no.  The bigger problem was at the time Brink, Elliott, Goltz and then Hall were here we had 3 different offensive coordinators in 3 years, 2 of which were putrid.  You definitely are not going to develop a QB under that circumstance.  So ... whether or not anyone got shafted in that situation is kinda a moot point.

Our club though has had a reputation for not being patient with QBs we find who get drafted/signed without having had any development with another team.  But assuming we won't be losing significant coaches on our offensive staff like Lapolice or Pierce, I think Streveler just might be the next Trevor Harris, only better than the Harris we saw last year.

Edited by USABomberfan

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

As to Elliott shafted, well yes and no.  The bigger problem was at the time Brink, Elliott, Goltz and then Hall were here we had 3 different offensive coordinators in 3 years, 2 of which were putrid.  You definitely are not going to develop a QB under that circumstance.  So ... whether or not anyone got shafted in that situation is kinda a moot point.

you also weren't going to develop anybody with that O-Line we had.  They were too busy getting killed to develop.

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Name me the last "promising" young qb who got shafted?

I would put out austin apodaca. Course hind sight makes the guys we kept look much worse. 

Is streveler the next franklin? No he is the next streveler. As for quality of prospect, we dont know if franklin is legit still. Will streveler be the next hype spot league wide? Not unless he gets into game action. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I would put out austin apodaca. Course hind sight makes the guys we kept look much worse. 

Is streveler the next franklin? No he is the next streveler. As for quality of prospect, we dont know if franklin is legit still. Will streveler be the next hype spot league wide? Not unless he gets into game action. 

Apodaca hasn't signed anywhere since but The Spring League (which is basically a veterans combine) and hasn't got a sniff from any other CFL team based on that film or his film here.  There's some kind of red flag.

38 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Apodaca hasn't signed anywhere since but The Spring League (which is basically a veterans combine) and hasn't got a sniff from any other CFL team based on that film or his film here.  There's some kind of red flag.

But his arm is soooooooo strong! That's all it takes to be a qb!

52 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Falling between the cracks in pro football doesnt mean you arent a good player or have up side. Especially at QB. Only soo many spots to go around. Remember ricky ray was driving a delivery truck out of football when the moes came calling. Along with countless other cfl greats. 

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

But his arm is soooooooo strong! That's all it takes to be a qb!

Yeah because he didnt have fringe wr speed (4.6) a great release, good size and very good deep ball touch.... 🙄 but i guess the arm strength is all that sticks in some peoples minds.

Apodaca has a tryout with the Bills coming up. I think what's holding Apodaca back is his (lack of) size. At 6'1 & 175 lbs he may have trouble seeing through  the passing lanes from the pocket. Can a guy at 175 lbs survive the shots he would take as a CFL or NFL qb? I think all teams have those concerns. Especially when the next qb on a pro roster beside him is 6'4 & 225 lbs. .

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Apodaca has a tryout with the Bills coming up. I think what's holding Apodaca back is his (lack of) size. At 6'1 & 175 lbs he may have trouble seeing through  the passing lanes from the pocket. Can a guy at 175 lbs survive the shots he would take as a CFL or NFL qb? I think all teams have those concerns. Especially when the next qb on a pro roster beside him is 6'4 & 225 lbs. .

I think that's his height and weight from college recruiting.  Everything from New Mexico and beyond has him at 6'3 and over 210.

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'll recheck what I read...

It appears it may have been when Austin Apodaca was recruited by Washington State out of high school where he was listed at 6'1 & 175 lbs... Apologize for getting Apodaca's height & weight wrong. I know I read that stat but it obviously is wrong. So then, you have to look at the qb situation here last year & why Apodaca didn't stick. The Bombers had committed to LeFevour & Davis. Unless something tectonic happened he was never going to stick with the Bombers. It just comes down to team politics. Apodaca never would have been given the chance to succeed. The Head Coach & OC pencilled in Davis & LeFevour to be their guys. Now all 3 of them are gone. It is what it is. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It appears it may have been when Austin Apodaca was recruited by Washington State out of high school where he was listed at 6'1 & 175 lbs... Apologize for getting Apodaca's height & weight wrong. I know I read that stat but it obviously is wrong. So then, you have to look at the qb situation here last year & why Apodaca didn't stick. The Bombers had committed to LeFevour & Davis. Unless something tectonic happened he was never going to stick with the Bombers. It just comes down to team politics. Apodaca never would have been given the chance to succeed. The Head Coach & OC pencilled in Davis & LeFevour to be their guys. Now all 3 of them are gone. It is what it is. 

Pretty much, and thats why i said it was a good example of us not giving a young qb a fair shake. Not saying he is the second coming of joe montana or any thing. Hes an excellent young talent. 

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

4 and half minuter Brian Bennett interview;

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/06/03/bryan-bennett-training-camp-day-15/

fascinating story

Steveler post game:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/06/01/chris-streveler-post-game/

That bryan bennett interview was great. Big time all around athlete at the qb position and a football player through n through. Id love to see him come in hungry and hell bent for leather with the denmark style chip on his shoulder. That realization of being out of football at his heels bringing out the best in him. 

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Pretty much, and thats why i said it was a good example of us not giving a young qb a fair shake. Not saying he is the second coming of joe montana or any thing. Hes an excellent young talent. 

That bryan bennett interview was great. Big time all around athlete at the qb position and a football player through n through. Id love to see him come in hungry and hell bent for leather with the denmark style chip on his shoulder. That realization of being out of football at his heels bringing out the best in him. 

The term "training camp fodder" comes to mind here for Bennett & Apodaca. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The term "training camp fodder" comes to mind here for Bennett & Apodaca. 

If bennett was TCF, they would have kept him for the work out then not paid him or given him a contract.  TCF also isnt a guy with much upside. Mahoney i could see as TCF. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

If bennett was TCF, they would have kept him for the work out then not paid him or given him a contract.  TCF also isnt a guy with much upside. Mahoney i could see as TCF. 

Yeah, who knows why they brought him back... is it a serious opportunity or an extra arm for practice? Hopefully Bennett is given a chance this time. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

True but I think he was just too inconsistent even with the lack of talent around him.

True, but you have to have consistent coaching to get consistency out of a QB.  Having a revolving door of them like we did in Elliott's day, or like the current Montreal Alouette gong show will lead to bad developed QBs.  I mean, the way things are going in that city today, there's no way a young Calvillo would ever be able to get his decorated career even started, and same probably would have befallen him in Elliott's shoes too.

55 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, who knows why they brought him back... is it a serious opportunity or an extra arm for practice? Hopefully Bennett is given a chance this time. 

If they wanted an extra arm I think they could have grabbed an aged out NI, or a few try out guys. plus 5 arms is a lot. I think it was a reaction to the level of play mahoney brought. He was well behind at the hop. 

I hope soo too. Though I kind of feel like he might be a guy who should have taken a college position change. Im a big fan of mobile qbs as your back up. 

36 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

True, but you have to have consistent coaching to get consistency out of a QB.  Having a revolving door of them like we did in Elliott's day, or like the current Montreal Alouette gong show will lead to bad developed QBs.  I mean, the way things are going in that city today, there's no way a young Calvillo would ever be able to get his decorated career even started, and same probably would have befallen him in Elliott's shoes too.

Some truth to that. With rookies / developmental guys for sure. Its not just consistency coaching though, its a chance to get their feet wet. When a game is a blow out in the 4th qt one way or another you need to use that chance to get a guy in. We havent done a good job of that in the mos era. And not just at QB. 

Great teams develop talent. Good and worse teams have talent slip between their fingers or waste it. We were a bad team, and became a good team. Now we need to take the step up to becoming a great team.