Training Camp 2018

Honestly, this injury just sucks so much for the team and Nichols. 

I'd be really interested in Vernon Adams and think he could be had for cheap. I've always been a fan of his and think he's a good CFL fit. He isn't much different than any other guy we've got here, which is to say mostly unknown.

But, I am fine with the guys we have. This is just life in the CFL. I don't see many good backups out there unfortunately and nobody is going to send one of them here and risk their team ending in this position as well.

Crossing my fingers it isn't serious and Nichols is back for the season. Otherwise, most likely you're going with Streveler, Ross and Bennett - in some order.

13 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Rider fans thinking they're getting a haul for Bridge, LOL, I would pay less than we paid for Nichols, which I believe was a condition 7th round pick..... so future considerations? Let's face it, Bridge ain't the guy to lead a team. If we are going to go full ***** on a trade at least shoot for someone like Glenn, at least he's shown he can win as a starter at least a little bit in this league. 

this is kind of what I was thinking... I am not particularly interested in Bridge... but I would entertain it for a mid-round pick... very unlikely Sask would be interested in that trade...

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

The only guys with CFL experience that may get cut would be one of Adams or get this.... Drew Willy :D 

Funny, I think you might be the first to mention Drew... To be honest, I wouldn't be completely against it.... assuming he's not completely broken...

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

this is kind of what I was thinking... I am not particularly interested in Bridge... but I would entertain it for a mid-round pick... very unlikely Sask would be interested in that trade...

Funny, I think you might be the first to mention Drew... To be honest, I wouldn't be completely against it.... assuming he's not completely broken...

None of the above excites me. I'm betting that Nichols will be back for the season opener, but the Bombers need to have to have a hard look at the three QBs we have on hand before the team hits the panic button.

I'd take Drew before Bridge and Adam's..at least he has more substantial experience.. has been very successful before and knows this system..could pick it up fairly quickly.

Who knows..a second chance here surrounded by actual talent this time he could most likely keep us competitive and win some games..and maybe surprise.

Start him each game and use a short leash with Strevler coming in if Drew is just not cutting it.

He would be an option tho only if Nichols is a shorter term absence..if gone for the yr I would just go with what we got in house unless we can pry Franklin away from T.O for nothing more than our extra first round pick at the most.

Any other option out there is not worth it and actual downgrade as they would need several weeks to get up to speed with offense. 

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yah, you'd really think so, if Nichols was okay they'd want to get the news out asap so it didn't deter season ticket sales.  As it stands I imagine ticket sales have come to a screeching halt.

It has not even been 24 hours yet.......He may be waiting for an MRI still. 

14 minutes ago, Engelwood said:

It has not even been 24 hours yet.......He may be waiting for an MRI still. 

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that within a couple of hours, certainly by the evening, the MRI was done.  They know what's up, or at least, they've got a first opinion.

I'm not sure I buy into the thinking that any team in this league would willingly trade a QB. No matter the item coming back (within reasonable expectations). Maybe the only one I could understand would be Adams from HAM, I can't see him being too happy there right now. But why would anyone help their competitor? The only thing that would make sense would be a huge gift from the bombers (multiple high picks/all star calibre Americans etc) which would only make us worse overall and something I don't think Walters would do.

I'm actually really comfortable going with who they have in house. Bennett has been through a few camps. Some game time experience. Maybe the break in his career woke him up a bit? Maybe not, but I'm willing to find out if needed. Ross, again some very limited experience, but maybe he can take the next step. Streveler shows promise but I'm honestly not expecting him to play much even if Nichols is done for the year.

With or without Nichols, I still believe the Defense is the key to this teams success.

Edited by Bigblue204