Bombers @ Lions: Game Day Thread (07/21/17)

Noeller

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Hey I was against Lapo from the get go, I really wanted Khari Jones, and looking at the BC offense it's pretty explosive. But they went with the "safe" choice which was Lapolice. Now we just hope someone decides they want to hire him as a head coach. 

maybe we could start a gofundme to give TSN to hire him back as a signing bonus for taking him away from the team.

When asked about the 3rd and 15 fake punt call O'Shea said he wanted to try and give the D a bit of a longer breather... if that was the case, why did they run two passing plays, instead of calling at least one running play? Wish Irving had interviewed him as he might've grilled him about it a bit more than Kelley Moore, who had no idea what he was talking about.

Passing Charts

Interesting from Marshall Ferguson.  Nichols completed 5 passes over 10 yards on Friday night.  There is absolutely no way that's by design.  That's a guy who is taking a long time to progress through his reads (too long) and move the ball leaving himself with no options.

Also from Ferguson:

Side note: Paul Lapolice is easily the most creative play-caller in the CFL right now and deserves to be recognized as so. Some of the stuff might not work but the creative use of Weston Dressler in the run game this week and bootleg action of Dressler placation was great to see since its a change of pace from the status quo stuff.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Hey I was against Lapo from the get go, I really wanted Khari Jones, and looking at the BC offense it's pretty explosive. But they went with the "safe" choice which was Lapolice. Now we just hope someone decides they want to hire him as a head coach. 

Khari was never on the table as OC here.  It was head coach or nothing.

Khari Jones has been OC in BC for some time now. It's not like every season with him at that position the Lions have had "explosive" offensive units, so that's a bit of flawed logic. The Lions also have very solid QBing (both with Jennings and Lulay), perhaps the most lethal receiving corps in the league, and a damn good RB. Offensively, the Lions are stacked, even if the O-line isn't great. Switch Jones and LaPolice and I'd be hard-pressed to see a significant difference in the potency of that offensive unit.

There's way more to an offense than just who's running the system, anyway.

Edited by blue_gold_84

On 2017-07-22 at 10:16 AM, White Out said:

Gaw, I had a great little write up and then my son hit the back button. Oh well, I'll respond to this post instead.

Walters was hired in 2013... that's not exactly recent. We're in a 9 team league where there's significant roster turn over. The RedBlacks started from 0 in 2010 and won the Grey Cup last year.  We're very fortunate to be 2-2.  Our schedule isn't as soft as people would suggest considering we started against the SSK Toilet Bowls, had an injury decimated Stamps at home, and Toronto. This was really our toughest game so far and even then their #1 QB was out with injury.

No one is crying into their pillow but your post is a great example of where we really need to bridge a couple of factions on this forum. There's a large segment of us who are shell shocked from decades of sucking. I mean, just stop for a moment and consider I was able to use the word decade plural there. Appreciate that and then try and understand where we're coming from. Last night is another symptom of a team who seems to want to win on the cheap. We cheaped out on our coaching staff and it's yielding some pretty lukewarm on field results.

So let's just consider where we go from here. The Riders are better this year make no mistake. Edmonton is probably going to win the division, Calgary is still solid despite injuries, and we saw last night that BC is still better than we are. We have to start seeing some progress soon or this will be just enough middling year. I mean who knows maybe then we make the playoffs again and like Ottawa fluke ourselves into a cup win but without home field that will be hard. Then again look at our home field record and maybe its a good thing?

Sorry for such a disjointed response.

lololol.  you act like we've been rider bad for the 2 decades. its not like we haven't been close or competitive in all these years.  Christ, we've been to the dance but couldn't seal the deal..

We are not a franchise with money pouring out of our ears.  we have never been able to afford the Trestman's or Austin's.   O'Shea may not be the everyones cup of coffee but hes turned the team around in a lot of ways.. Walters too has been pretty impressive in re-stocking the cupboard with canadian talent.   You can act like this team has been pitiful for decades all you want but its not true.. You can also disregard the blow up that happened in the years before O'shea, Walters and Miller if you want but everyone else saw the damage from the poor management that was done and how long its taken to get back to almost respectability. 

you wanna dwell on the past, go ahead.  I'm going to look towards the fact we are 2-2, better  then the riders and hamilton for sure.  we are competative with Toronto, BC and Montreal.. are we dominant?  Not yet no but we are far from where we once were..

On 2017-07-22 at 0:26 PM, Mr Dee said:

I maintain it was Medlock's decision to throw that pass at that time. No way that was a called play. The Special Teams was given the green light by what the Coaches saw BC was doing and, for whatever reason, Medlock thought that was the time. A poor decision on his part.

there was definitely some bad communication there.   the pass WAS open but the receiver was in the dark about it coming his way.. shame, it would have been a sweet play had it payed off.

Bottom line.....Mike O'Shea is a players coach....... players want to play for him, and play hard.   No accident that we are better positioned to bring in free agents, these days. 

I talk to folks around the league, and MOS, in some ways, may be more highly regarded, outside of this town, than inside it.   Now sometimes there seems to be an excess of loyalty to players who we perceive as under performing - I have mentioned it myself, on occasion.   Just seems somehow like part of the package.

In the main, MOS is a definite upgrade over some previous HC's.   I have a lot more concerns about the OC and DC.    They do some good things, but not sure if we will ever see the killer instinct, installed round here.   

But then....I hearken back to the beginning, of this regime.... when MOS had Etch, Marcel, and Tracy as assistants.   No one is yearning for those days, either.

On 2017-07-22 at 1:34 PM, Atomic said:

Absolutely it's possible.  But we didn't.  What's your point, exactly?  We should have fired O'Shea after an 11-7 season and hired Trestman?  Or are you hoping Chris Jones or Austin shake loose after this season and we hire one of them?  Would love to hear your thoughts.  Maybe throw a million dollars at Hufnagel?  That one's always popular.  Unrealistic, but popular.

I understand that the loss is frustrating and most people are just venting.  Hell, I was screaming when Medlock threw that pass.  But I'm not getting sucked into the *****-fest.  I still feel like the team is heading the right way, even if that loss is a painful one.  I understand that a weekly "Should Mike O'Shea be fired?" thread can turn into a 7 game win streak real quick.

I really can't fathom how people are oblivious to the fact that O'shea has been instrumental in bringing this team back to respectability.  Hes also a young "wet behind the ears" coach still and is going to make mistakes and have growing pains.   It is what it is.   We never could have afforded a Trestman, an Ausin (not that id want to) or i'd hope a Jones lol.   O'shea has his players going thru walls for him at times.. what more do you want? we are 2-2 and had a solid record last season.. beyond Medlock's gaffes this game and letting Calgary run roughshod thru our cover teams, our ST have been good.. defense and offense have their moments mixed with mediocrity.. 

I really think people don't understand what they are complaining about.. and are often complaining for the sake of just that, complaining..  its like the southpark denizens "rabble rabble rabble"-ing. 

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

My main complaint is LaPolice.

And it has nothing to do with his offensive scheme. I like his playbook. Ferguson is right, he shows a lot of creativity. Lots of stuff to be impressed with.

He just can't play call worth **** in the first or fourth quarters of a football game. 

This is pretty much it. Hall isn't my ideal choice for a DC but he is good enough, it's really just Lapolice that is a major problem and it's as you say, his ability to call a game rather than anything else. Guy is very prone to over thinking things and often outsmarts himself. He is also very passive when sometimes you gotta go for the throat. I would have hoped he'd have learned that but it appears that he really hasn't. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

This is pretty much it. Hall isn't my ideal choice for a DC but he is good enough, it's really just Lapolice that is a major problem and it's as you say, his ability to call a game rather than anything else. Guy is very prone to over thinking things and often outsmarts himself. He is also very passive when sometimes you gotta go for the throat. I would have hoped he'd have learned that but it appears that he really hasn't. 

Bingo. I remember a telecast where him and Benevides were getting into it which really put this on display.

It appears that's how he's hardwired. 

5 hours ago, do or die said:

Bottom line.....Mike O'Shea is a players coach....... players want to play for him, and play hard.   No accident that we are better positioned to bring in free agents, these days. 

I talk to folks around the league, and MOS, in some ways, may be more highly regarded, outside of this town, than inside it.   Now sometimes there seems to be an excess of loyalty to players who we perceive as under performing - I have mentioned it myself, on occasion.   Just seems somehow like part of the package.

In the main, MOS is a definite upgrade over some previous HC's.   I have a lot more concerns about the OC and DC.    They do some good things, but not sure if we will ever see the killer instinct, installed round here.   

But then....I hearken back to the beginning, of this regime.... when MOS had Etch, Marcel, and Tracy as assistants.   No one is yearning for those days, either.

It's pro football though, it's about wins and losses and not how many people like you (MOS).

As for the offense how big a lead does this defense need to lock a game down, obviously more than 15 points it seems.

Surely, you can't say that the defence was to blame for a late, deep interception and a brain fart on the 26 yard line leading to a turnover?

Seems to me the defence DID get the ball back late in the Q with enough time for the O to have done something.

On paper, that lead should have been big enough, but then if you watch the game results....

Lots of discussion about O'shea. How long does he get to deliver a cup win?  Serious question.  I'm always a right wing fan and I want Jones fired this year if things don't turn around. I'd love to hear your opinions on this. Is being respectable good enough? Does your record have to be 11-7 or better?  For the record, I like MOS as a coach.

They need to show steady improvement.  Yes, we've had some injuries on defence, but there's no rhyme or reason as to why the offence can't move the ball half the game other than an inept QB at the controls.  The play calls are the play calls... QB still needs to find an open receiver downfield, Especially when not being hurried... and that is seldom happening, opting more often for the stat friendly 3 yd completion.  Unfortunately, that's not putting points on the board.

Edited by trueBlue83

7 hours ago, Ripper said:

Lots of discussion about O'shea. How long does he get to deliver a cup win?  Serious question.  I'm always a right wing fan and I want Jones fired this year if things don't turn around. I'd love to hear your opinions on this. Is being respectable good enough? Does your record have to be 11-7 or better?  For the record, I like MOS as a coach.

As long as we are in the playoffs he keeps his job, IMO.  No time limit.