Bombers @ Lions: Game Day Thread (07/21/17)

Noeller

Outscored 42-9 in fourth quarters so far this season.  Opposing players saying on national TV you let your foot off the gas. As I said last week, this team is never going anywhere as long as Lapo and Hall are collecting cheques from this organization. They've both been fired MANY times for a reason.

52 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Bizarre man...you're comparing Jennings and Lulay.  Lulay is turning the ball over at a much higher rate than Jennings who you called a turnover machine.  Just ******* bizarre.

How many games has Lulay thrown away in comparison to Jennings? Lulay was a CFL MOP. Jennings has the athleticism but not the smarts to even come close to winning a championship. Right now, he's just another athletic qb that may never win anything.

This was a replay of the western semi-final of 2016, and it took a joint cluster-flack of the offence, defence and especially the coaching to produce another epic fail. This is getting too old, too fast, and it is time consider if the O'Shea-LaPolice-Hall experiment is over. I cannot see a record of better than 9&9 for this year.

Edited by tracker

I felt, going into the season, that BC was our most comparable opponent. That holds true. There was a lot to be mad about last night, but considering how many important players we were missing, I'm not as upset as I could be. Wild, Leggett, B Johnson and Fogg all make a big difference if they were in last night (though kudos for my boy Knoxers for having a great game)...

Have some concerns about our offense in 4th Q's, but it is what it is.....we'll look much better vs Montreal next week.

7 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Outscored 42-9 in fourth quarters so far this season.  Opposing players saying on national TV you let your foot off the gas. As I said last week, this team is never going anywhere as long as Lapo and Hall are collecting cheques from this organization. They've both been fired MANY times for a reason.

And how about our points for and against in the 1st quarter?  What are those numbers like?  Start slow and coast home...  Not a recipe for success.

Well...well...same old result when we played these guys last time on the coast....right down to the final kick...They proved one thing to me...we'll be fighting for position in the lower echelon of the west...Same ol...same ol...Disappointed to say the least...We couldn't even trick out a win

Edited by Stickem

Lots of overreaction here I think. A game on the road against an upper tier team coming down to the last minute of the game? There's worse ways to lose. 

.500 after 4 games is pretty much where everyone expected us to be. mtl, redblacks, ticats  up next. We very well should win 2 of those games. 

We need to see some adjustments, but this team looks better than it did after week 4 of 2016, remember. 

Edited by Judd

10 minutes ago, Judd said:

Lots of overreaction here I think. A game on the road against an upper tier team coming down to the last minute of the game? There's worse ways to lose. 

.500 after 4 games is pretty much where everyone expected us to be. mtl, redblacks, ticats  up next. We very well should win 2 of those games. 

We need to see some adjustments, but this team looks better than it did after week 4 of 2016, remember. 

whole lotta this......absolutely the perspective everyone needs right now.

Just now, Judd said:

You've set the bar really low for a comparison. The team/coaches are making the same dumb mistakes as last year, and if the talent is upgraded, it will make no difference if the coaches do not smarten up.

Upper tier team...I thought that's what category we belonged in....Quite frankly I doubt we improved much over last year...IF we have show me the money...so far nada and if it continues...that's what the season will end up looking like...nada...Signed pi$$ed off. AND if that sounds like I'm down on this club...you bloody rights.

Edited by Stickem

So, Winnipeg is a terrible team for losing a game to BC, who are now 4-1?

But then BC must be a terrible team too, because they gave up 42 points to an average team?

Which is it? A very entertaining game between two heavy weights, in a game that could have gone either way?  Or a battle of the bottom feeders who have no business playing in the West?

Really, one play separated these two teams, and you can pick whichever one you want. That was the difference between winning and losing.

Im disappointed, but far from disheartened. 

We will win our share of these...just not last night.

Just now, Stickem said:

Try 26 years and counting

Yeah fair enough. What annoys me the most is this attempt to be on a pragmatic position of high ground.

Did anything about last night give you reason to believe we've progressed? Any of our games really. We almost lost to the Riders and Calgary promptly lost to Montreal after bleeding us to death slowly. 

It's the same issues with this regime from day one. Terrible play calling and decision making and a general lack of high end talent. But make no mistake, a competent coaching staff delivered us a win yesterday. 

When I looked at the schedule I expected us to be 2-2 at this point, so it's not any surprise that's where we are.

It was a very entertaining game last night, but the same stories keep repeating. Slow starts. Get ahead. Take our foot off of the gas. Let them back in. Win or lose on a late FG. Quite frankly, I think we should win every game that we put up 40 or more points.

I'm laughing at all the fans who for some reason expected Winnipeg to be an elite team this year.  Yeah we finished 11-7 last year but it easily could have been 9-9.  This is a middle-of-the-pack team.  You don't turn into Edmonton or Calgary overnight.  It takes years.  Right now we're in the fight but if you expected us to be blowing out teams like BC then that's just a silly expectation on your part.  Go cry into your pillow if you want but don't expect to be taken seriously here.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

I'm laughing at all the fans who for some reason expected Winnipeg to be an elite team this year.  Yeah we finished 11-7 last year but it easily could have been 9-9.  This is a middle-of-the-pack team.  You don't turn into Edmonton or Calgary overnight.  It takes years.  Right now we're in the fight but if you expected us to be blowing out teams like BC then that's just a silly expectation on your part.  Go cry into your pillow if you want but don't expect to be taken seriously here.

Gaw, I had a great little write up and then my son hit the back button. Oh well, I'll respond to this post instead.

Walters was hired in 2013... that's not exactly recent. We're in a 9 team league where there's significant roster turn over. The RedBlacks started from 0 in 2010 and won the Grey Cup last year.  We're very fortunate to be 2-2.  Our schedule isn't as soft as people would suggest considering we started against the SSK Toilet Bowls, had an injury decimated Stamps at home, and Toronto. This was really our toughest game so far and even then their #1 QB was out with injury.

No one is crying into their pillow but your post is a great example of where we really need to bridge a couple of factions on this forum. There's a large segment of us who are shell shocked from decades of sucking. I mean, just stop for a moment and consider I was able to use the word decade plural there. Appreciate that and then try and understand where we're coming from. Last night is another symptom of a team who seems to want to win on the cheap. We cheaped out on our coaching staff and it's yielding some pretty lukewarm on field results.

So let's just consider where we go from here. The Riders are better this year make no mistake. Edmonton is probably going to win the division, Calgary is still solid despite injuries, and we saw last night that BC is still better than we are. We have to start seeing some progress soon or this will be just enough middling year. I mean who knows maybe then we make the playoffs again and like Ottawa fluke ourselves into a cup win but without home field that will be hard. Then again look at our home field record and maybe its a good thing?

Sorry for such a disjointed response.